AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:54 PM

Default 2 Questions

I am currently running my main music system upstairs, on a Mac Mini. I have taken the time to rip all my 1000+ CD's to Apple Lossless. I have downloaded another 100+ albums from HDTracks (many in 24/192). I am using Audirvana with iTunes. I backup all my music to a WD external drive connected directly to the Mac Mini. My music is stored on the main Mac Mini second hard drive.

My questions are this:

1. I am building a second system for downstairs (family room) and it will be an all digital system utilizing the Classe CP-800 for DAC/Bass Management. What I want to know is whether there is any sonic difference between the USB output of the Mac Mini vs a USB output of a new MacBook Pro? I would prefer a MacBook pro for easy access/convenience, but I don't want to jeopardize sound quality.

2. If I have my music stored on the Mac Mini upstairs, and turn on Home Sharing, and I access the music files on the Mac Mini upstairs from my Macbook Pro downstairs, will it "compress" or change the files in any way by sending it from upstairs to downstairs via the network? Basically, will 24/192 files remain in 24/192 format sending from upstairs to downstairs wirelessly through my home network?

Thank you!

Mike
Old 10-20-2012, 07:47 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Mike,

Good questions. I'll offer my thoughts since I use both and enjoy the challenge as a developer...

1 - The USB is the same on the MacBook Pro and Mac Mini. A dedicated Mini music server with solid state drives running minimal services is obviously a bit quieter than a MacBook Pro setup for everyday use. If you're dedicating the laptop, set it up the same as your Mini - shut down everything not needed for serving music. Unless you are doing an A/B comparison in the same room with the same equipment and cables, you won't notice the difference.

2 - No worries. Streaming across a network does not change the source files. A 24/192 .aiff file streamed across the network is a 24/192 .aiff file on the client. The network just sends the file to the machine requesting it.

Sounds like a fun project. Keep us posted!
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet
Mike,

Good questions. I'll offer my thoughts since I use both and enjoy the challenge as a developer...

1 - The USB is the same on the MacBook Pro and Mac Mini. A dedicated Mini music server with solid state drives running minimal services is obviously a bit quieter than a MacBook Pro setup for everyday use. If you're dedicating the laptop, set it up the same as your Mini - shut down everything not needed for serving music. Unless you are doing an A/B comparison in the same room with the same equipment and cables, you won't notice the difference.

2 - No worries. Streaming across a network does not change the source files. A 24/192 .aiff file streamed across the network is a 24/192 .aiff file on the client. The network just sends the file to the machine requesting it.

Sounds like a fun project. Keep us posted!
Awesome! Thank you!! Would a MacBook Air be better?
Old 10-20-2012, 10:21 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
Awesome! Thank you!! Would a MacBook Air be better?
Hmmm...better? The MacBook Air is cheaper. Does that qualify as better?

I also have the latest 11" MacBook Air with 1.7GHz processor, 128GB flash drive and 8GB memory running iTunes with Pure Music. The Air is much lighter and runs quieter than my 13" MacBook Pro. It's very good looking, easy to setup and does a fine job as music server.

Again, unless you plan to do A/B tests with each unit using the same system, I don't think you'll hear any differences with either of the options you're considering. Just my 2 cents...
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:51 PM

Great thought, and great answer! I'd go with Mac mini as a dedicated music server, leaving it on all the time so I can access with the iPad/iPhone remote app for convenience. Have been thinking about that lately, but looking at alternatives to combine movies and music for the bedroom.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:08 PM

I use a tweaked Mac Mini with SSD and have my music on a FireWire connected drive. I also have a MacBook Air and have compared the two using Amarra ( music stored on the Air's SSD). The Mac Mini is noticeably better sonically. More bass and warmer fuller sound. Resolution (sound stage) i thought was a bit better too.
I have also tried streaming music stored on my NAS and for some reason it sounded a bit lifeless. I have no explanation for this, but it's an easy comparison to do.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinla
I use a tweaked Mac Mini with SSD and have my music on a FireWire connected drive. I also have a MacBook Air and have compared the two using Amarra ( music stored on the Air's SSD). The Mac Mini is noticeably better sonically. More bass and warmer fuller sound. Resolution (sound stage) i thought was a bit better too.
I have also tried streaming music stored on my NAS and for some reason it sounded a bit lifeless. I have no explanation for this, but it's an easy comparison to do.
This surprises me. I really need the KVM of the MBP. I don't want to use an external monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. Looks too clunky. This system needs to look streamlined.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:42 PM

I don't have a monitor or keyboard for my MacMini. I have it connected to my network (Ethernet, want wireless and Bluetooth off) and use screen sharing. It's built into Mac operating system. So I can access it from my iMac, Air or drive it from my iPad or even iPhone.
I tried connecting a tv to its hdmi and it effected the sound. So mine is purely used for music.

Last edited by lostinla; 10-21-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:45 PM

I compared my MBA 2011 with i5 processor vs my friend's MacMini with the i7 QC.

We ran Amarra 2.4 with external drives and it was noticeable the dedicated Mini sounded better.

I can't tell if the Mini is better because it was dedicated or because of the faster spec. I suspect it was the dedicated OS. I noticed the same thing when I moved from an MBP C2D to a MacMini C2D as well.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:13 PM

Very interesting. I may have to rethink my MBP idea and get another Mac Mini instead. My office is right next to the family room, so I guess I could use screen sharing to access the Mac Mini for updates, downloads, etc. Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the idea. A Mac Mini with an external drive is a heck of a lot cheaper than a new MacBook Pro. It just means that my iPad becomes that much more important and I'll have to keep it out of the hands of the kids!