AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 03-10-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
Maybe I'll start a poll. I'm interested in opinions on upgrading power cords. What components benefit the most from upgraded power cords? I'm still baffled by the impact of changing the power cord on my preamp.
Most recently, I had this experience with some upgraded power cables - it varied in how it affected the overall sound in comparison to the very full and rich sounding power cables I had been using on all components.

On my digital source - too thin sounding, so I'd say most impact was on this component.
On my preamp - also a tad too thin
On my amps - perfect; it brought a welcome focus and sharpening

So for me, I'd say the biggest impact was on the digital source component.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 03-15-2018, 10:40 AM

After a long talk with Audioquest, I decided to order another Hurricane in lieu of the Dragon. If I had the money I would have purchased five Dragon power cords, but I submit four Hurricanes and one Tornado is a good compromise. I pray that I’m done!
Old 03-15-2018, 10:50 AM

A long talk with Audioquest? They talked you down?
Old 03-15-2018, 11:02 AM

Talked down from a Dragon? C'mon guys, we need better peer pressure than this!
Old 03-15-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
A long talk with Audioquest? They talked you down?
I submit Audioquest's customer service helps put things into perspective. Based on my experience theirs no doubt to me that the dragon is incrementally better, but at this point I'm choosing to go with the Hurricane.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:58 AM

The Hurricane HC has a lot more body (mid-bass) and bass than NRG-1000 and NRG-WEL. It simply creates an unbelievable dense, solid wall of sound. The resolution is excellent (probably comparable although lower than that of the NRG-WEL). What I don't like? Although the stage is pretty wide it's not very deep. And it has a front row kind of presentation... And I think that highs could be a tad smoother and more detailed.

P.S. The Hurricane has almost 40 hours so we'll se what happens later...
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:36 AM

Very good comments! I agree with your comments, with the exception of stage depth. My Hurricanes replaced Wireworld Platinum and Silver power cords which pushed everything to the back. Yes, the Hurricane has a front row presentation, which to me provides more of a 3D soundstage, providing the illusion of instruments being deeper in the soundstage. Lead singers seemed to have moved a foot or so closer, while everything else seems to be properly placed in the soundstage. The resolution is the best I've ever experienced, but I'm comparing it to Shunyata, Wireworld, and not to the NRG-WEL. In this crazy high-end world I submit the Hurricane offers very good value.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:32 PM

I’ll be trying out the Hurricanes tonight!
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 03-24-2018, 06:38 PM

I’ve noticed increase bass is usually secondary to gauge which I think the hurricane has over the wel and previous series.

That said I doubt it’s as smooth as the wel.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:26 PM

Nice impressions, johndoe21ro. That's kind of how I felt...NRG WEL vs Hurricance is an interesting, and overall close, comparison. I hope my next pair of Hurricanes are about to ship...they'll certainly destroy the NRG 1000's they'll be replacing.