AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 02-15-2012, 12:27 AM

Default Looking for cable advice

I've finally got my system where I want it, minus an upgraded turntable, but here's what I have: MMF-5 TT, MR88, MCD500, MX135 and a MC252 feeding into PSB Synchrony Twos. As of today all my ICs were mostly Monster cables I've picked up throughout the years before I went on an audio upgrade binge. Speaker cables are nothing special either. Today I got a pair of Kimber Silver Streaks and used them in between the MX135 and the MC252. I've found the Mc equipment to be a great match with the titanium tweeter of the PSBs, but using the Silver Streaks the sound was immediately too bright. I'm going to try again tomorrow, but I'm guessing it was the combination of silver cable + metal tweeter that caused my issue. However, other than the brightness, the sound was light years beyond the basic RCA cable I've had in place.

I'm thinking it makes the most sense to upgrade my speaker cables first, for that I'm thinking Kimber 8TC, but I'm looking for input on other ICs. I don't want to spend much more than what I did on the Kimber Silver Streaks, so anything much more expensive would be a no go for me. I'm also wondering if going to proper speaker cables would help tame some of the harshness of the Silver Streaks or if I should look solely at copper cables. Thanks!

Edit: Found a pair of Kimber KS 1016 for sale locally, may give those a try as they're copper and have heard they're warmer than the silver Kimbers.

Last edited by Maks; 02-15-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:29 AM
dpod4

I am very happy with Harmonic Technology Magic Link 2 RCAs and Pro 9 speaker cable. Smooth extended highs - not etchy. I think they compete well against cables 2x their price. Great value. They beat Cardas Golden Reference in my system.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:42 AM

Lightbulb

A friend of mine uses Crimson R.M. Music Link interconnects and speaker cables with his McIntosh gear and just loves these cables !

These Crimson cables are the first cables that we tried that do not have a sonic signature of its own and is truer to the source than any other cables that we have ever heard.. !
Old 02-15-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks
I've finally got my system where I want it, minus an upgraded turntable, but here's what I have: MMF-5 TT, MR88, MCD500, MX135 and a MC252 feeding into PSB Synchrony Twos. As of today all my ICs were mostly Monster cables I've picked up throughout the years before I went on an audio upgrade binge. Speaker cables are nothing special either. Today I got a pair of Kimber Silver Streaks and used them in between the MX135 and the MC252. I've found the Mc equipment to be a great match with the titanium tweeter of the PSBs, but using the Silver Streaks the sound was immediately too bright. I'm going to try again tomorrow, but I'm guessing it was the combination of silver cable + metal tweeter that caused my issue. However, other than the brightness, the sound was light years beyond the basic RCA cable I've had in place.

I'm thinking it makes the most sense to upgrade my speaker cables first, for that I'm thinking Kimber 8TC, but I'm looking for input on other ICs. I don't want to spend much more than what I did on the Kimber Silver Streaks, so anything much more expensive would be a no go for me. I'm also wondering if going to proper speaker cables would help tame some of the harshness of the Silver Streaks or if I should look solely at copper cables. Thanks!

Edit: Found a pair of Kimber KS 1016 for sale locally, may give those a try as they're copper and have heard they're warmer than the silver Kimbers.
Maks...Kimber makes great cables. Try the 8TC with the new KS1116 ic's This should
be a good match if not the Kimber Hero offers a lot of bang for the $$. If you want to move up the speaker line the Monocle X and XL are great performers for the $$ vs performance.

Dave
Old 02-15-2012, 01:42 PM

I second the Kimber Hero ICs and 8TC speaker cables. I think that combo offers great value and offers a great tonal balance perhaps with a hint of warmness which might mate well with the PSB Synchrony Twos.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak
I second the Kimber Hero ICs and 8TC speaker cables. I think that combo offers great value and offers a great tonal balance perhaps with a hint of warmness which might mate well with the PSB Synchrony Twos.
+1...Cyril, well said my friend.

Dave
Old 02-15-2012, 10:13 PM

Thanks, guys! After reading a bit more, the Heroes sounded like a great deal. Right now I've got the Silver Streak from my MCD500 to the MX135 and my old Monsters from the MX135 to MC252. I think the biggest benefit will be seen when I get some decent speaker cable.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
Thanks, guys! After reading a bit more, the Heroes sounded like a great deal. Right now I've got the Silver Streak from my MCD500 to the MX135 and my old Monsters from the MX135 to MC252. I think the biggest benefit will be seen when I get some decent speaker cable.
Maks.......Every cable matters.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-02-2012, 02:39 PM

Well I just installed my 8TC cables and got a pair of balanced Heros connecting my MX135 to my MC252. The Hero is a much better fit in my system than the Silver Streak, that is for sure. I'm going to try using the SS to connect my MR88 to the MX135. The 8TC cables are an improvement over my old cables. Nothing night and day, but certainly improved bass and midrange clarity. Much warmer than the harsh and tinny cables I've had before. I'm a happy man! Now I just need to get another balanced pair of Heros to connect my MCD500 to the MX135 and I'm set.

Born in the USA was on the table so I'm listening to that now, I think some Ray Charles is up next.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks
Well I just installed my 8TC cables and got a pair of balanced Heros connecting my MX135 to my MC252. The Hero is a much better fit in my system than the Silver Streak, that is for sure. I'm going to try using the SS to connect my MR88 to the MX135. The 8TC cables are an improvement over my old cables. Nothing night and day, but certainly improved bass and midrange clarity. Much warmer than the harsh and tinny cables I've had before. I'm a happy man! Now I just need to get another balanced pair of Heros to connect my MCD500 to the MX135 and I'm set.

Born in the USA was on the table so I'm listening to that now, I think some Ray Charles is up next.
Maks...congrats on your new Kimber Kables. The 8TC and Heros are great together. Takes a little while to break in but gets better with playing time. Enjoy your new Kimber's, the Boss and Ray will sound wonderful.

Dave