AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 05-31-2011, 05:55 PM
A happy little vegemite..

G'day Graham
welcome mate - lovely bunch here. Great to have another Australian on board. When (and if) you subscribe drop me a PM - love to hear what sort of music you like. Gorgeous system: I bet that Sanders really gives the Maggies the curry! We are both panel guys! me with my Quads and you with your excellent 3.7's.
Kind Regards
Andy
ps - Julian is being way too kind: I am just willing to display my ignorance publicly. Fools rush in and all that...

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach
Old 06-01-2011, 01:29 AM

Hi Tonepub, Two Dot, Julian and Andy Pandy... thanks for the warm welcome guys... tho I have to admit it's a bit sobering realising after posting opinions about my own humble gear when you look around and the guys are driving Burmester 911 Mk3's and Spectral amps...

... and I have to fess up that I am suffering more than a touch of amp envy Julian (thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's Spectral!)... your amp is up there with the ARC 610T as amps I most aspire to when I no longer fear the consequences of my audio impulses!

Tho I have to say that the Magtech is proving a great match for the Shindo pre. The Sanders is relatively grain free and fairly liquid SS without getting too dark... might be a touch vulnerable to upper mid range glare (early days to call) but proving capable of putting out massive drive for the maggies (dare I use the effortless word). The amp just seems to set the speakers free. If the Sanders adds a touch of soul, then the Shindo lights it all up again with spirit... a bit like fire dancing on water. The Shindo is all heart and definitely a pre I'm happy to marry (tho the divorce rates can be high in these kind of relationships - especially if I hitched up with a sweet young Shindo Petrus at $40k+ lol)... got to remember the audio wisdom when it comes to gear... KISS = Keep it sweet n sexy

Hey and also g'day Andy... I'm just a short ride in a fast car up the road from you at the lake south of Newcastle... figure we share the same taste in gear as well as music by the looks of your posts... love the way the music comes first... just looked over at the pile of music near me and it's running about 70% classical with jazz, pop and dance music filling in the gaps... ATM right now am listening to John Adams Harmonielehre - Simon Rattle and City of Birmingham Symphony... nice and wrap around and rapturous... lush recording from EMI and feeling no pain at all Two Dot.

PS Looking forward to catching up some more on AA - Am definitely happy to make this an ongoing subscription...

cheers from OZ
Graham

audio.t servant

Main Music:Meridian and Onkyo transports>Wireworld silver starlight>Pure Music>Mac Air with 256GB SSD>Wireworld silver eclipse 6, Straightwire and Kimber ICs>Calyx DAC>Shindo Aurieges L>Sanders Magtech>Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6 SCs>Magnepan 3.7

Head Music: Audeze LCD2 and AKG 702>Violectric V200 headphone amp

AV:Oppo 95 (coming soon)>Straightwire ICs>Peachtree Nova>Quicksilver GE 8417 monos>biwired Kimber 8tc>Proac Response 2

Last edited by audiot servant; 06-01-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:42 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Audiot Servant - Graham - I live in Georgia in the US but I have actually been to Newcastle and have explored a fair amount of your area including Lake Macquarie .

I stayed for several days in Pokolbin and made my way over to the coast several times.

Explanation to follow, but needless to say, I have enjoyed several visits to Australia, and, of course, had to visit the audio shops in Sydney while there. More on that sometime also.

Glad you are here and look forward to your giving us further information about the Maggies and about the music you listen to.

Julian

By the way, I recently got an Oppo BDP-95, and am currently breaking it in with continuous play. The video is superb and the audio gets better every time I listen to it. You will love yours when it arrives.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 06-01-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:08 PM

Hmm, have you tried to compare Oppo 95 to your tricked out Esoteric?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:46 AM
Bun E. Carlos

Anyone else running the new MG3.7's yet? I live in northern IN with no Magnepan dealers close by. Just wondering your impressions. Thx!