AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 02-02-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klao View Post
Heard both of them, but I never get a chance to compare 1.7 & 3.7 side by side. My short answer is go for the 3.7.

When I traded my 1.6 up to 3.6, not much regrets at all. There was really some minor coherence issue with 3.6, but those ribbon tweeters alone outweighed it. Larger sound field, better depth and soundstaging are obvious advantage too.

Already cancelled my order for the 3.7 (been waiting half a year now) and will pur more desposit for the 20.7 instead, as soon as Magnepan allows my dealer to send them a PO. Hope longer wait will be worth it.
Great news Klao - might be a bit of a race between yourself and Darrin (Ddod4) for a pair of 20.7s... will be great to get some additional reliable feedback from owners on what could well prove to be a sensational loudspeaker... certainly be nice to hear it first on AA.

Graham

Last edited by audiot servant; 02-02-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
Great news Klao - might be a bit of a race between yourself and Darrin (Ddod4) for a pair of 20.7s... will be great to get some additional reliable feedback from owners on what could well prove to be a sensational loudspeaker... certainly be nice to hear it first on AA.

Graham
Thanks, Graham.

I'm in the far east, so it might take a few months longer than our friends in the states. Cheers.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:13 PM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant

Graham
Just sold my Atma-Sphere table plus Triplanar arm so new funds to put toward 20.7s. What do you think I should list the 3.7s for? Also looking for advice as I streamline and simplify. My Conrad Johnson 350 amp pairs perfectly with Maggies. I am thinking of selling my VAC tube amp and possibly preamp, as wonderful as they are, to fund rest of purchase of 20.7s (I don't have a money tree) and pick up a CJ (eg GAT) or Shindo (Massetto or used Giscours) preamp to pair with the CJ Pr350. Or I could just keep the VAC preamp as it is very good.

DP
Old 02-03-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
Just sold my Atma-Sphere table plus Triplanar arm so new funds to put toward 20.7s. What do you think I should list the 3.7s for? Also looking for advice as I streamline and simplify. My Conrad Johnson 350 amp pairs perfectly with Maggies. I am thinking of selling my VAC tube amp and possibly preamp, as wonderful as they are, to fund rest of purchase of 20.7s (I don't have a money tree) and pick up a CJ (eg GAT) or Shindo (Massetto or used Giscours) preamp to pair with the CJ Pr350. Or I could just keep the VAC preamp as it is very good.

DP
D and Klao - If I'm a bit green atm it's just a reflection off the Shindo... would certainly think that it's well worth a new thread to follow your respective journeys from 3.7s to 20.7s PS Darrin - btw a CJ GAT/PR350 combo with the 20.7s sounds just about irresistible...

Graham

Last edited by audiot servant; 02-03-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:32 AM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant

D and Klao - Sounds like you are both on your way towards the upgrade... If I'm a bit green atm it's just a reflection off the Shindo... would certainly think that it's more than worth a new thread to follow the early adopters trip from 3.7 to 20.7 PS Darrin - A CJ GAT/PR350 combo with the 20.7s sounds just about irresistible...

Graham
Yes that may be the "golden" ticket for me.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klao View Post
I'm waiting to build a bigger listening room too, Mike. So it shouldn't be that bad of a wait.

My front end are only digital: BDP-1, BDA-1, & MWI Oppo 95 Tube. I have two preamps, either one of which I'm selling to finance new room and speakers: ARC REF40A & Aesthetix Calypso Signature. Hope my Bryston 7B-SST2 pair will do OK with the 20.7 as well.
You have got some very nice gear. As you know Bryston amps are used a lot with Magnepans. Did you happen to post pictures of your system. Maybe I should finish reading the tread before I post this.

~Mike
Old 02-04-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgard View Post
You have got some very nice gear. As you know Bryston amps are used a lot with Magnepans. Did you happen to post pictures of your system. Maybe I should finish reading the tread before I post this.

~Mike
Thank you, Mike. No, I haven't posted any picture yet. Here's the partial photo of my system many months ago before I got the ARC preamp and sold Maggie 3.6's. (I'm currently using a pair of Triangle speakers on loan from my audio dealer.)

Last edited by klao; 02-04-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:49 PM

Kalao,

Thank you for posting a picture of your system. Looks very nice. When your new speakers arrive, you will have to update us with another system picture and a review.

~Mike
Old 02-11-2012, 04:51 AM

Got informed by James Tanner in the AudioCircle that the Maggie 20.7 and some Bryston gear were just being sent to a prominent magazine in the US for review. Wendell and James themselves went to help setup, so I guess it might be HP's room.

Last edited by klao; 02-11-2012 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:35 PM
dpod4

I heard the 20.7s will likely hit dealers in June timeframe. I will be upgrading.