AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 11-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
The bass was obviously more powerful and deeper than the S1, but not completely natural; it stuck out a little like separate (albeit very high quality and reasonably well-integrated) subwoofers. Absolutely, this could possibly be attributed to the room and (to a lesser degree) tube amp. It wasn't poorly integrated bass; just not perfectly integrated as I'd experienced with the S1 or Tannoys in the same room. My gold standard for perfectly integrated, powerful, and extended bass is the Tannoy Yorkminster SE.

Sure, the S5 may be a touch overwhelming for that particular room. Also, I'm guessing the S5 might do much better with a top-class SS amp.

The mids and treble on the S5 were wonderful like with the S1. These speakers somehow impart the feeling of a touch of organic warmth, while otherwise being dead neutral. No listening fatigue whatsoever.
Interesting Picking up on your comment "It wasn't poorly integrated bass; just not perfectly integrated as I'd experienced with the S1 or Tannoys in the same room", my understanding is both the S1 and S5's bass are equally well integrated. The difference between the two is really more of a function of ones acoustic environment, so the lack of coherency you perceived might have been either a combination of room considerations and/or amplification

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 03-11-2014 at 05:11 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
Thanks Wizard I was curious about this design element of the S3's from the press bucket -

"As with all Magico loudspeakers, the S3 is uses an acoustic suspension enclosure, one whose further refinements include a new uniquely designed sub-enclosure for its midrange. The polycarbonate enclosure utilizes a combination of advanced materials as well as a specially developed shape. Both of these features when combined create the ideal acoustic properties and control for a sub-enclosure in a loudspeaker cabinet."

I am curious if the S5 shares this design element...will report back soon!

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 03-11-2014 at 05:09 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
The bass was obviously more powerful and deeper than the S1, but not completely natural; it stuck out a little like separate (albeit very high quality and reasonably well-integrated) subwoofers. Absolutely, this could possibly be attributed to the room and (to a lesser degree) tube amp. It wasn't poorly integrated bass; just not perfectly integrated as I'd experienced with the S1 or Tannoys in the same room. My gold standard for perfectly integrated, powerful, and extended bass is the Tannoy Yorkminster SE.

Sure, the S5 may be a touch overwhelming for that particular room. Also, I'm guessing the S5 might do much better with a top-class SS amp.

The mids and treble on the S5 were wonderful like with the S1. These speakers somehow impart the feeling of a touch of organic warmth, while otherwise being dead neutral. No listening fatigue whatsoever.
The S5 are a tough load (much tougher than the S1) and most likely the tube amp was just not able to provide adequate amount of current (and control the woofers properly).
Old 11-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Bodhisattva

Hi folks, my understanding is the S5 uses a sub-enclosure as well, though it is tailored for the S5 of course. So, it's not the same exact enclosure

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 03-11-2014 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:58 AM

of course it must have its own sub-enclosure.... you need to isolate it from the back wave of the woofer (there is a lot of pressure in a closed bass system)
Old 11-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
of course it must have its own sub-enclosure.... you need to isolate it from the back wave of the woofer (there is a lot of pressure in a closed bass system)
I'm just feelin' my way through I guess
Old 11-06-2013, 04:52 PM

Otherwise the midrange driver would bottom out with just a silght bass note playing.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:03 PM

Following all the newly introduction of the Q and S series, there are superb deals to be found on the 'old' V3 and V2 models.. Which offer tremendous price performance just right now.. I really like the design part on all Magico models, and happen to like the design of the M5 the very most, which is found even ugly by others ? the M5 imo has the same timeless design status as the Eames lounge chair. Just like the former Magico model design much more.

Last edited by 4RE; 04-26-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RE View Post
Following all the newly introduction of the Q and S series, there are superb deals to be found on the 'old' V3 and V2 models.. Which offer tremendous price performance just right now.. I really like the design part on all Magico models, and happen to like the design of the M5 the very most, which is found even ugly by others ? the M5 imo has the same timeless design status as the Eames lounge chair. Just like the former Magico model design much more.

That said, i'm actually looking at the markets for V3 / V2 and have opportunity to listen to Mini II at a friends place within short coming time. Call me an late adapter ;-). Excuse me for being off-topic.
Agree the M5 is the best looking magico of all of them!
Old 11-25-2013, 11:45 AM

true that the M5 is very nice. But I still prefer the design of the new Ultimate :-)