AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 11-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Thanks Coppy

Ed still does not elaborate on a general basis on what the sound qualities is like compared to the winged C 6550's.

If it is a fatter bass like has been reported, that would not be a good match to my system

cheers
Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Glad to provide the info. Think I'll order a set for the LP140s and deal with the tube cage issue when they get here.

Hope you're feeling better.

Bob
Well the Kt120s are in the LP140s but only have about 10 hours on them. At first I noticed better (not fatter) base and faster transients but less depth to the sound. Base more like my P350. As they are burning in the debt has returned and the mids are wonderful. After a few more hours I'll do some critical listening of some familiar reference music and report back. Despite the lack of tube cages, I'm actually pleased with the appearance as they seem to better fill the tube cavities of the amps and pleasantly match the space; there's no longer the former hollow appearance without the tube cages. No report on the WAF as yet.

Last edited by Coppy; 11-06-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:38 AM

Excellent, Bob, could you please send us a photo of the LP140M with the KT120?

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 06-17-2012, 07:29 AM

Every 6 months I control the bias on my CJ Premier 140. This morning, to my surprise, many LED for adjusting the bias does not light up. I'm worried and I replaced the eight valves with new ones. The eight LEDs are all lit and I could adjust the bias.
It means that the valves where the LED is not lit, have become exhausted?
Old 06-22-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldinohiend View Post
Every 6 months I control the bias on my CJ Premier 140. This morning, to my surprise, many LED for adjusting the bias does not light up. I'm worried and I replaced the eight valves with new ones. The eight LEDs are all lit and I could adjust the bias.
It means that the valves where the LED is not lit, have become exhausted?
Hi,

Yes, it most likely means the tubes have worn to the point where they are outside the bias range of the Premier 140.

Out of curiosity, what type of tubes were you using and do you know how long/how many hours they had on them?

Thanks,
Old 06-23-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post
Hi,

Yes, it most likely means the tubes have worn to the point where they are outside the bias range of the Premier 140.

Out of curiosity, what type of tubes were you using and do you know how long/how many hours they had on them?

Thanks,
It was Jan 6550 GE Green Logo and had about 2500/3000 hours.
I take this opportunity to make a couple of questions. If on my final CJ Premier 140 I mount the KT88 risk anything? And yet, someone has mounted on the final CJ the new KT120 and with what results sonic?
Old 06-23-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldinohiend View Post
It was Jan 6550 GE Green Logo and had about 2500/3000 hours.
I take this opportunity to make a couple of questions. If on my final CJ Premier 140 I mount the KT88 risk anything? And yet, someone has mounted on the final CJ the new KT120 and with what results sonic?
With that amount of hours, you were most likely at their useful end of life and that explains why some would no longer bias properly.

From personal experience, I can say that I never had any problems using KT88 types in either the 11A or the 140.

There are some threads here on the Conrad-Johnson forum that discuss the KT120 pretty extensively, so you might want to take a look at them. Generally, it's been a very popular tube. Also, c-j has been outfitting their most recent amps with this tube as stock equipment. For whatever reasons, it's never been one of my favorites but that's just me and I don't represent the majority view here in this regard.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:55 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Quote:
With that amount of hours, you were most likely at their useful end of life and that explains why some would no longer bias properly.

From personal experience, I can say that I never had any problems using KT88 types in either the 11A or the 140.

There are some threads here on the Conrad-Johnson forum that discuss the KT120 pretty extensively, so you might want to take a look at them. Generally, it's been a very popular tube. Also, c-j has been outfitting their most recent amps with this tube as stock equipment. For whatever reasons, it's never been one of my favorites but that's just me and I don't represent the majority view here in this regard.
But, Lew Johnson, the J of c-j thinks the KT120 tube sounds much better and calls it the new "super tube". See his comments and quotes on other threads here.
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 06-23-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
But, Lew Johnson, the J of c-j thinks the KT120 tube sounds much better and calls it the new "super tube". See his comments and quotes on other threads here.
I know and respect his opinion highly. Other members here are uniformly positive about it as well. I guess it's just me.

I had them in the 11A just a few days ago and they do have a great deal going for them. I then switched them out for the New Sensor Tung-Sol 6550's and I just like the NS T-S 6550's more. I also like the NS Gold Lion KT88s better.

I'm not normally a contrarian but in this case, I guess I am.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:41 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
I know and respect his opinion highly. Other members here are uniformly positive about it as well. I guess it's just me.

I had them in the 11A just a few days ago and they do have a great deal going for them. I then switched them out for the New Sensor Tung-Sol 6550's and I just like the NS T-S 6550's more. I also like the NS Gold Lion KT88s better.

I'm not normally a contrarian but in this case, I guess I am.
Joe, bravo for going with your own ears.