AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 08-05-2012, 09:46 AM

Hi folks,

Its was fun reading through this thread after 7 month have passed. I have since got the ET3SE, removed the Lyngdorf from the setup, returned the Lyngdorf as a DAC only with RoomPerfect and finally got the ACT2 to replace the ET3SE which seems like audio nervana at the moment.

Life's pleasures never end
Old 08-05-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash
Hi folks,

Its was fun reading through this thread after 7 month have passed. I have since got the ET3SE, removed the Lyngdorf from the setup, returned the Lyngdorf as a DAC only with RoomPerfect and finally got the ACT2 to replace the ET3SE which seems like audio nervana at the moment.

Life's pleasures never end
Ron,
Are you still using Room Perfect ?
Old 08-05-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Ron,
Are you still using Room Perfect ?
Yes, for digital sources only.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Interesting journey starting with the Lyngdorf to the ACT2.

I had an in-depth discussion with the seller of my Pr350 over dinner last night after we visited the CA Audio Show. He estimated the amp had maybe 20 hours on it from the first seller to him, and he may have only put another 20-30 hours on it in the time he had it before boxing it up and storing it for roughly seven years before selling it to me. It's effectively a new amp (sure looks like, too) and I have about 130 hours on it now. It's sounding better and better, but I'm fully cognizant that there's very likely a lot of improvement to come yet.

Listening to the incomparable Verve LP recording of Getz/Gilberto reissue by Speakers Corner, and it is sounding quite lovely at the moment, I must say. The midrange on this amp is downright gorgeous.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-05-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Interesting journey starting with the Lyngdorf to the ACT2.

I had an in-depth discussion with the seller of my Pr350 over dinner last night after we visited the CA Audio Show. He estimated the amp had maybe 20 hours on it from the first seller to him, and he may have only put another 20-30 hours on it in the time he had it before boxing it up and storing it for roughly seven years before selling it to me. It's effectively a new amp (sure looks like, too) and I have about 130 hours on it now. It's sounding better and better, but I'm fully cognizant that there's very likely a lot of improvement to come yet.

Listening to the incomparable Verve LP recording of Getz/Gilberto reissue by Speakers Corner, and it is sounding quite lovely at the moment, I must say. The midrange on this amp is downright gorgeous.
If its got roughly 200 hours on it you still have a long way to go. Being a ss amp, why not run it continuously for two weeks and get it over with? That's what I did with the CA200 at the time.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash View Post
If its got roughly 200 hours on it you still have a long way to go. Being a ss amp, why not run it continuously for two weeks and get it over with? That's what I did with the CA200 at the time.
That's what I'm kind of doing....running it 24/7 is impractical as I can hear the music at night when sleeping; my place is small and my bedroom door is open so the cat can come and go. I've been burning it in roughly 10 hours a day while at work. I could set the speakers up in a closet and run it 24/7, I guess. It doesn't even have 200 hours on it yet.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:01 AM

Long ride to sonic nirvana
Old 08-06-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash View Post
Yes, for digital sources only.
Interesting re the roomperfect. I demoed the RP-1 for a couple of weeks 3 - 4 months ago.

Sounded quite good, however whenever I played electronic music on vinyl with large dynamic bass the RP-1 would overload and distort. Fine on everything else, but anything really dynamc - always electronic music on vinyl - into overload.

The dealer/Lyndorf never came up with an edquate explanation so I let it go.

cheers
Old 08-06-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Interesting re the roomperfect. I demoed the RP-1 for a couple of weeks 3 - 4 months ago.

Sounded quite good, however whenever I played electronic music on vinyl with large dynamic bass the RP-1 would overload and distort. Fine on everything else, but anything really dynamc - always electronic music on vinyl - into overload.

The dealer/Lyndorf never came up with an edquate explanation so I let it go.

cheers
The RP1 is a more limited device than the DPA1 I am using. With the RP1 essentially everything gets conveyed to digital A to D and then back to analog via the built in DAC.
With the dpa1 I have a choice of digital and analog inputs and digital and analog outputs. Its a very flexible unit where you can set separate gain for every input. I guess your analog setup was overloading the rp1.
I am not using the Lyngdorf for my main analog source (VPI Classic 1) to avoid the A/D/A conversion. My second analog rig is connected to the Lyngdorf and can sound very good.
For digital sources, I route them directly to the Lyngdorf and get analog output with RoomPerfect to my preamp.

I think the DPA1 is a great unit for its flexibility with connections and setup options. The RP1 is very limited in this regard.