AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 07-08-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash View Post
They are fantastic tubes. There are several different versions. The rocket logo version is great but preamp level ones are hard to find. I use the as driver tubes in my power amps. The 6h23p-ev are good for preamp use. I just bought two from partconextion.

You can see the different version with a Description of their qualities on Upscale Audio web site.
Thanks Ron, good advice as always
today I am almost on that the 6N23P NOS Kaluga rocket logo are better than my EAT
But it is necessary to pay attention here, it has a lot of confusion with logo and the origins of Russian tubes

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 07-08-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
Hi Joe

i'm not sure, on your pics, the 6N23P-EB tubes on the left wear the Reflektor logo what seems to indicate Saratov factory
like this one

now see the Kaluga
You're absolutely right, Philippe. They are from two different factories in Russia. Thank you for showing me the error of my ways.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post
You're absolutely right, Philippe. They are from two different factories in Russia. Thank you for showing me the error of my ways.
Joe.... I more have to learn of you that the opposite
Ron...seen but they do not mention the year of production what is surprising...btw I can assure you that they work outstandingly with my GAT

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 07-08-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
Joe.... I more have to learn of you that the opposite
Ron...seen but they do not mention the year of production what is surprising...btw I can assure you that they work outstandingly with my GAT
I am sure you can find preamp level rocket logo ones its just going to be more difficult. If you but from a reputable dealer that screens them you can get excellent samples.
I bought a bunch of them for a very low price through ebay and for most of them the noise level was too high to use in my CJ ET3 or Sonic Frontiers preamps. They all performed flawlessly as driver tubes or as CD/DAC buffer tubes and sounded great at that.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash View Post
I am sure you can find preamp level rocket logo ones its just going to be more difficult. If you but from a reputable dealer that screens them you can get excellent samples.
I bought a bunch of them for a very low price through ebay and for most of them the noise level was too high to use in my CJ ET3 or Sonic Frontiers preamps. They all performed flawlessly as driver tubes or as CD/DAC buffer tubes and sounded great at that.
......will try too as driver tube in my LP275M

l
Old 07-09-2012, 11:49 AM

I wrote to CJ and ED told me not to use 6n23p why is not the same valve 6922/E88CC. And he also told me not to use the final KT88 valves.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldinohiend View Post
I wrote to CJ and ED told me not to use 6n23p why is not the same valve 6922/E88CC. And he also told me not to use the final KT88 valves.
Very strange ...... it is maybe this day one of the best tubes which I was able to listen to on my GAT

l
Old 04-08-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
I still have a set of RCA and GE 12SN7GTA's to try in the other two tube positions of the phono stage that I need to try out. cheers
Sorry to be dragging up an old thread but did you ever try out the GE or RCA 12SN7GTA's? I have the Thoress preamp heading my way in a couple of months (if my new home construction ever gets finished). Was already looking at tube options, sounds like the Pope is a real winner but haven't heard much feedback about switching out the other tubes. Only reference i found in the Thoress/TW Acustic amp was using an obscure Tung Sol black glass round plate.