AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 06-13-2019, 10:46 PM

Old 06-22-2019, 02:37 PM

I would like to make a modest suggestion/request -- that Shunyata consider also offering these "entry level" power cables in 1 meter lengths. For many people, those 1.75 meter cables represent not only a waste of money but also look messy looped or just jammed behind their equipment rack.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:02 PM

We will make the cable any (reasonable) length that you want. Just understand that shorter length cables will usually have a lower level of performance compared to the standard 1.8m length. Also they aren't less expensive than the standard length. And they are much harder to sell once you want to upgrade.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:15 PM

Followup question for cable management. Which would be better?
  1. Let the cables dangle freely between the equipment and the power distributor
  2. Group the cables together with a velcro wire tie for better cable management
  3. Coil unused length of an individual cable
  4. Something else

We often see cables in coils and bunched tightly together. What detrimental effect can this have on cable performance - especially engineered cables like Shunyata's?

Also with respect to cable management do you recommend to isolate signal and power as much as possible. For instance is there any benefit to not having signal and power run in parallel to each other.

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:29 AM

It depends on how big and complex the system may be. These recommendations apply to relatively small two channel systems consisting of 3-10 components. I am also assuming you are using one to three system racks. Complex audio/video systems that have multiple dedicated power lines and large distances between components have different requirements.

1) Never run power cables and signal cables together. Do not parallel them to one another even for relatively short distances. Do not cable tie them together.

2) Do not run speaker cables together with interconnects.

3) Do not run digital cables parallel to ANY other cable. Do not let a digital cable directly touch another. Just an inch or two of spacing is sufficient.

4) Do not allow a power cord to touch the speaker’s terminals even when it is running at perpendicular angles to the speaker cable.

You may group interconnects together if necessary if they are good shielded cables but it is not optimal for performance. Keep them separate from power cords and digital cables.

This is how I prefer to manage system cables. I let the power cables have the ground level. So let the power cables drop down and then along the floor to the power conditioner or wall outlet. You may run the power cables parallel to one another between the racks and the wall. Then keep the interconnects relatively short and do not let them droop down towards the power cord level. Run them directly up or across between components. When they intersect a power cord be sure to cross them at perpendicular angles.

Make sure the speaker cables cross at perpendicular angles to any power cords or interconnects.

If your power cords or speaker cables are too long do not coil them up. This creates an inductor that radically increases the inductance of the cable. To take up excess length run the cable back and forth in a figure 8 pattern. It is best to shorten the cables to reasonable lengths. Most power cables will sound worse if the length is much shorter than about 1.5 meters. Many people also report that very short speaker cables sound worse but I have not noticed this. But systems vary.

If you are looking for the absolute best performance then be sure to decouple the power cables and speaker from the floor.

If your system has many components and there are long distances between components ask Ivan for advice and check out his cable management photos.

Last edited by CGabriel; 06-24-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:43 AM

Oh and this is something I have seen that you should never do - wrapping power cords around a table or rack leg/support.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:00 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
It depends on how big and complex the system may be. These recommendations apply to relatively small two channel systems consisting of 3-10 components. I am also assuming you are using one to three system racks. Complex audio/video systems that have multiple dedicated power lines and large distances between components have different requirements.

1) Never run power cables and signal cables together. Do not parallel them to one another even for relatively short distances. Do not cable tie them together.

2) Do not run speaker cables together with interconnects.

3) Do not run digital cables parallel to ANY other cable. Do not let a digital cable directly touch another. Just an inch or two of spacing is sufficient.

4) Do not allow a power cord to touch the speaker’s terminals even when it is running at perpendicular angles to the speaker cable.

You may group interconnects together if necessary if they are good shielded cables but it is not optimal for performance. Keep them separate from power cords and digital cables.

This is how I prefer to manage system cables. I let the power cables have the ground level. So let the power cables drop down and then along the floor to the power conditioner or wall outlet. You may run the power cables parallel to one another between the racks and the wall. Then keep the interconnects relatively short and do not let them droop down towards the power cord level. Run them directly up or across between components. When they intersect a power cord be sure to cross them at perpendicular angles.

Make sure the speaker cables cross at perpendicular angles to any power cords or interconnects.

If your power cords or speaker cables are too long do not coil them up. This creates an inductor that radically increases the inductance of the cable. To take up excess length run the cable back and forth in a figure 8 pattern. It is best to shorten the cables to reasonable lengths. Most power cables will sound worse if the length is much shorter than about 1.5 meters. Many people also report that very short speaker cables sound worse but I have not noticed this. But systems vary.

If you are looking for the absolute best performance then be sure to decouple the power cables and speaker from the floor.

If your system has many components and there are long distances between components ask Ivan for advice and check out his cable management photos.
Great advice. I just re-dressed all my cables along these lines the weekend before last.

I also my have digital cables (Ethernet) and Alpha USB are sitting on small, light, little "cable elevators" to keep them off the shelves of the audio rack. They "float" to (the Ethernet cable) and from (the Alpha USB) the SOtM UltaNeo to the DAC, with the only contact point being a small surface for the support. I'm thinking of buying a 12-pack of Dark Field Minis, and cutting one of them into thin strips to function as a better cable elevator for the Alpha USB than what I'm using now. I'll use the remainder in between my 3-D printed cable elevators to serve as a "ground shunt" for any static fields between my elevated Venom speaker cables and the floor.

I also have the DC cables for my linear power supplies routed away from the digital cables.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 06-25-2019 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:52 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Oh and this is something I have seen that you should never do - wrapping power cords around a table or rack leg/support.

OMG. I would have never thought to do this but now that you say it, I’m sure there’s always someone.

The cable management pointers above are imperative!
Old 06-25-2019, 09:31 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
OMG. I would have never thought to do this but now that you say it, I’m sure there’s always someone.

The cable management pointers above are imperative!
Indeed.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:26 PM

As a general rule, how would you describe the sound signature of the Venom NR? Lean, dry, neutral, organic, colored, full, lush, etc? Noise reduction capability is very important but I would like to know at first glance if these cable would synergize with my system. I have experience only with the CX line and I have currently a black mamba hc/CX powering my Yamaha CA-1000 integrated amplifier with very good results. I find it hard to know the sound signature of a cable when there are no comparison. What can be roughly expected from a Venom NR-V10 compared to my actual BM HC/CX?