AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 08-15-2018, 10:20 AM

Default New Porsche Video

It doesn't reveal much at this point but reaffirms where Porsche is headed. It will be interesting to follow the development of the Taycan!

I don't think this is good news for Tesla!

https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpor...m_medium=email
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 08-15-2018, 10:58 AM

Yeah, but I'll bet you can probably buy 2 Model 3s for the price of 1 Taycan.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:19 AM

An all electric Porsche?

I'll take the sound of a gas engine over the whine of an electric motor any day.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
Yeah, but I'll bet you can probably buy 2 Model 3s for the price of 1 Taycan.

The competitor of the Taycan would be the Tesla Model S not the model 3.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:49 AM

The idea of an “all electric” Porsche is about as exciting as a new pair of ballet shoes to me. The soul of a Porsche? Please...
Old 08-15-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
The idea of an “all electric” Porsche is about as exciting as a new pair of ballet shoes to me. The soul of a Porsche? Please...

I also prefer the sound of a gas engine. But Porsche is doing away with their best sounding engines (i.e., non aspirated) in favor of turbo. Yesterday I was driving behind a 911 S with its turbo engine. The engine note was awful.

Many Porsche purists will say that Porsche sold its soul when Porsche announced that it was going to build a SUV (Cayenne). Yet today, Porsche sells more SUVs than cars.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
I also prefer the sound of a gas engine. But Porsche is doing away with their best sounding engines (i.e., non aspirated) in favor of turbo. Yesterday I was driving behind a 911 S with its turbo engine. The engine note was awful.

Many Porsche purists will say that Porsche sold its soul when Porsche announced that it was going to build a SUV (Cayenne). Yet today, Porsche sells more SUVs than cars.
The wail of the normally aspirated 3.6L flat six "Mezger" (2008 997) GT-3 at redline, with the German high octane fuel still in the tank from the factory, on my way home from the dealer was the pinnacle of my "adrenaline rush cars". Perhaps only matched by the 360 Challenge Stradale at redline a few years later. Well, ok, the first year 458 with the burbling and popping on overrev was fun too... They even tuned most of it out with later 458's.

Everything that came after was merely a reminder that the "make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up sounding car" era was behind us and I've owned some serious cars after those two. The last GT-3 RS I owned a few years back was sold immediately. PDK in a fun street car is no fun at all... track is a different story. As to the Cayenne, the GTS Cayenne I owned was the worst SUV ever to be driven in foul weather but a blast to drive as a daily in good weather, you could hear it coming and going from a few city blocks away.

Today? I'll pass.... I see no reason to pay that kind of money for a car that has a badge that commands a heavy premium and sounds about as exciting as my garbage disposal. But that's just me. With the electric era ahead of us, it will be about as exciting as hearing a toaster do it's job.

I'm not saying they won't sell a ton of them, I'm just saying I'm not going to be the one with the check in my hand at the dealer for an electric Porsche.

Last edited by PHC1; 08-15-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:31 PM

Not many good sounding engines left these days. But a magnificent engine sound still around is that of a V10 NA engine (like that of the R8 or Lambo).
Old 08-15-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Not many good sounding engines left these days. But a magnificent engine sound still around is that of a V10 NA engine (like that of the R8 or Lambo).
Never actually owned a Lambo but have driven many. The 6-speed manual Gallardo did sound really good as did my R8 V10 with also a row it yourself gearbox. The R8 with the Gallardo engine was a really nice combo of Audi quality/reliability with a V10 Lamborghini derived engine. Having said that, the Audi R8 was just not exciting enough for me as some of the others.

As a side story, when my R8 decided to go up against a deer which jumped out of nowhere and destroyed the front end of my R8 V10, I was shocked how little $$$ the Audi parts are compared to the Ferrari. A hood replacement for a Ferrari F430 would have been over $10k and it cost only $1800 for the R8 (unpainted). Ha!

Last edited by PHC1; 08-15-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:53 PM

Like it not,it’s where we are heading. I have several clients who own Porsche and/or Audi dealerships. Corporate mandates are flowing down to dealer level to significantly reimage their facilities to accomdate what could be as much as 70% electric vehicles with the next ten years.

I’m with you Serge, it was the memory of sweet sound of the air cooled Porsche engines winding up to the red line that caused me in part, to get back in the brand last month.

Am I disappointed with my N.A. 3.6? Not really- there is still a hit of that nostalgic sound albeit artificially created.

There is no way I will ever drive a battery powered car (unless it is the last one in the rental line).
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,