AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 02-06-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
No. That is a ‘rule of thumb’ to get you started. I suggest you reset the balance on your Luxman and as mentioned before. Pull the left speaker towards you. For the 10-20 deg you state, that shouldn’t require much. Perhaps a few cm...

Let your ears tell you. THEN, forget that they are not perfectly symmetrical in your room! Just enjoy that sweet spot.
Will do, thanks for the help...

But first a week in Amsterdam!
Old 02-06-2020, 03:26 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr_w View Post
Will do, thanks for the help...

But first a week in Amsterdam!

Fun!! Have a fun and safe trip to Holland.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 02-26-2020, 05:57 PM

Back from my trip - thanks for the well wishes.

I spent a few hours on set up last weekend — assuming my hearing isn’t as huge an issue and concentrating on set up. I used the Master Set Up Procedure linked on page one here. I had a difficult time finding ‘bass lock’ on the first speaker. Perhaps the description that it will be super obvious is a little hyperbolic or perhaps i just missed it. But there were a couple spots that did sound somewhat better than others. ...perhaps I just need my own song to help find the right spot.

Setting in the other speaker was interesting. Playing several records to find where bass matched and where vocals locked in to the centre, was actually fun. Again, there was not a definite ‘bass lock’ but there were certainly better spots than others. After two hours (rushed maybe?). Sat down for a good listening session.

The image was ‘fixed’ but perhaps at the cost of a small mid bass dip. I may pull out my mic and do some testing.

The resulting placement was closer to the front wall than i had my speakers previously. AND I have my left speaker 5” closer to my listening position than the right speaker (remember that my issue was a centre image that pulled left). And each side toed in very slightly, at different angle to cross at the same point a few meters back.

I’ll leave it like this for the time being and report back. Oh yeah, the speakers are Tannoy GRF90...

Last edited by Arr_w; 02-26-2020 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:05 PM

I read this thread with great interest, as I have experienced what Arr W describes in the past. In my case, it depends on the recording. However, I have listened to numerous systems at many dealer showrooms, in an optimal setting, and in all of those cases the center image was always *dead center*. I have *never* been able to reproduce that at home, even with Sonus faber Elipsa SE's. That is to say, they image really nicely, but it is *not* 100% "there". I concluded that the problem lies with my room and not the equipment. Plus, I also have a big screen TV in the center, and nothing can be done about this, so I realize it does not help.

I second what others have said. Go out there and listen to other systems at dealer rooms or places with optimal conditions, and see if the problem persists.

I get the feeling it is your room and not your ears.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban View Post
I read this thread with great interest, as I have experienced what Arr W describes in the past. In my case, it depends on the recording. However, I have listened to numerous systems at many dealer showrooms, in an optimal setting, and in all of those cases the center image was always *dead center*. I have *never* been able to reproduce that at home, even with Sonus faber Elipsa SE's. That is to say, they image really nicely, but it is *not* 100% "there". I concluded that the problem lies with my room and not the equipment. Plus, I also have a big screen TV in the center, and nothing can be done about this, so I realize it does not help.

I second what others have said. Go out there and listen to other systems at dealer rooms or places with optimal conditions, and see if the problem persists.

I get the feeling it is your room and not your ears.
My experiences see to match yours -- Thanks for the comment. I am getting the sense it is the room as well... however, living in the most expensive city in Canada makes upgrading the room somewhat prohibitive.