AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 12-03-2020, 02:17 AM

I seldom talk about my sound but I'm incredibly happy with it. Whatever I have done has worked for me. The bass goes to the bottom of the Universe without being at all intrusive. The mids and highs are incredibly resolved but sweet as honey. The soundstage is very deep, perfectly tall, and wall to wall. The system is explosive in dynamics going from zero to 60 in an instant. I'm listening to Dark Side of the Moon SACD CDP 7243 Pink Floyd. The volume limit is what your ears and room can stand on the initial heartbeats. Mine can stand a whopping 12 watts and then the sound pressure on my ears hurts my drums.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I seldom talk about my sound but I'm incredibly happy with it. Whatever I have done has worked for me. The bass goes to the bottom of the Universe without being at all intrusive. The mids and highs are incredibly resolved but sweet as honey. The soundstage is very deep, perfectly tall, and wall to wall. The system is explosive in dynamics going from zero to 60 in an instant. I'm listening to Dark Side of the Moon SACD CDP 7243 Pink Floyd. The volume limit is what your ears and room can stand on the initial heartbeats. Mine can stand a whopping 12 watts and then the sound pressure on my ears hurts my drums.
That's all that really matters! Enjoy!
Old 12-06-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Carl, the Niagara 7000 is 9,500.00 dollars. Everest 8,000.00. The Niagara 5000 has jumped to 5,000.00. I have three 5000's and one 7000. Wouldn't think about Shunyata because no current reservoir and no isolation transformers. 7000 weighs in at 86 pounds and has isolation transformers for its source outlets; 5000 at 38. Everest at 34 pounds. Not to mention the awkward shape that would never fit into a rack or cabinet like mine. The current reservoir is a true reservoir. Unless you have a sophisticated power meter your electric bill will demonstrate the current drain similar to a large class A amp for each Niagara. This can have a very significant effect on you power bill if left on. The Niagara's have an auto switch that turns it off an on and you can hear it switch on and off with the amps turning on and off. They also have a manual switch which I never use. The Niagara's are very sophisticated instruments and very significantly improve the power supplies of my Mac amps and my Mac source gear. They don't need any accessory grounding wires.

Best

Charles

"They don't need any accessory grounding wires."
I don't doubt their good effekt on sound. Off course they handle ground for the High-current without any ground wires.

Do they handle signal ground as well? That is another ground actually.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
That's the best thing about all this. To enjoy the music in your mind and in your hole body.
Your system is probably at the very top of what's possible to achieve.
Due to your choice of system and gear I think we have the same preferences of how the music is best reproduced.

Both your and my systems does not leave so much left from whats deep in the music and recording. Though, to really reveal the important soul in the music and from the recording there are things to try out and discover. It's not possible to try everything on the market. So these kind of HiFi-forums are very interesting there we can share experiences and ideas. That has helped me a lot to develop my system.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:45 AM

I just listened to music with Leif at Marten (High end speaker company) and some new gear. He is trying these gear out in their reference system.

It was actually really interesting. It's not that common jet but will probably be. It's good, really good.

I'll get back to that later.

Last edited by Apexorca; 12-07-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post
"They don't need any accessory grounding wires."
I don't doubt their good effekt on sound. Off course they handle ground for the High-current without any ground wires.

Do they handle signal ground as well? That is another ground actually.
Not sure what you mean by signal ground. Unlike the Everest, Niagara's require no extra grounding. You simply plug them in and plug your gear in. I like them a lot because of the current reservoir (available on the 5000) and the isolation transformers (only available on the 7000). And they work perfectly.

Last edited by Charles; 12-08-2020 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I just listened to music with Leif at Marten (High end speaker company) and some new gear. He is trying these gear out in their reference system.

It was actually really interesting. It's not that common jet but will probably be. It's good, really good.

I'll get back to that later.
Carl, interesting post but confusing. Could you elaborate? Who is Leif? I am familiar with Marten. They make great speakers.

"It's not that common jet but will probably be." Confusing.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
That's the best thing about all this. To enjoy the music in your mind and in your hole body.
Your system is probably at the very top of what's possible to achieve.
Due to your choice of system and gear I think we have the same preferences of how the music is best reproduced.

Both your and my systems does not leave so much left from whats deep in the music and recording. Though, to really reveal the important soul in the music and from the recording there are things to try out and discover. It's not possible to try everything on the market. So these kind of HiFi-forums are very interesting there we can share experiences and ideas. That has helped me a lot to develop my system.
Carl, I agree with you. That's the reason I enjoy following your system so much. I make changes less often because I am a Mac aficionado. Therefore when Mac upgrades their D1100 I will probably trade in and upgrade. My 1.25's are keepers possibly forever because it will be years before Mac upgrades them. The 1.2's stayed in production for almost 15 years. I find the 1.25's have a more refined sound. Mac says they are on par with the 2K's (the big Mac 2000 watt amps) that have been in production for 15 years.

The problem is the space. These are 3 piece mono amps. So to do an upgrade would be to go to nine pieces of new gear. That's a lot of space but I do have it and my three 5000's would accommodate them. I'm not sure what the gain would be as the XVX is so efficient it never requires over 120 watts. So my next upgrade will be to a D1200 digital pre. But I haven't ruled out an amp upgrade. Depends on my health and a lot of things.

Best

Charles
Old 12-08-2020, 03:13 PM

Default Apexorca systems

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by signal ground. Unlike the Everest, Niagara's require no extra grounding. You simply plug them in and plug your gear in. I like them a lot because of the current reservoir (available on the 5000) and the isolation transformers (only available on the 7000). And they work perfectly.

Everest does not require any extra grounding. There is an external connector which goes to the Chassis Grounding System (CGS) for additional grounding if so desired, but Shunyata says it’s not necessary for any components plugged into the Everest, since they already are grounded through their plug connection. You can, however, use the CGS for additional chassis grounding, or for other components that are not plugged into the Everest. I think I’ve got that right, but this is from Shunyata’s website:

“The *CGS (**Chassis Grounding System) is an internal ground-buss that uses patented NIC[emoji769] technology to reduce ground plane noise. **CGS provides a common grounding point and extends the noise reduction capability of the power conditioner’s internal NICs to other electronic components. **CGS helps to minimize inter-component voltage differences between component chassis and may reduce the hum associated with ground loops.”
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 12-08-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Ok. I try to explain. It has to do with the music signal, not the high current ground.
Signal ground is the level 0, from there the voltage goes upp and down. This level 0 differs from unit to unit and even from the right and left channel. This is partly due to that electrical components have not exactly the same specification. It always differs a bit in each unit even if the components are the same. Between units the signal ground can differ even more. This results in a diskrepans in the "sweet spot" of the signal that is blurring the true signal, this is distorsion.
Nordost QKore-system and cables is leveling this so that the level 0 in each units are more even in the hole system. Therefore the signal gets less distorsion and you here more of what each unit in the system can offer. The music gets cleaner, better holographic picture, more black background, more details and so on.
May be you can think about it as many connected u-shaped tubes with gates in the bottom. Fill water in the tubes to different levels. Then open the gates and the water level will be att the same hight in each tube. This i signal ground and how QKore works. The effect is very good in any system I listened to.

Forgive my Swedish-English. I hope it is possible to understand.

Last edited by Apexorca; 12-09-2020 at 03:26 AM.