AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 03-27-2014, 10:34 AM

Default Review of Conrad Johnson MF2550 Power Amp

I'll get to the point quickly -- I just bought the Conrad Johnson MF2550 (non- Teflon) and have now been listening to it for about 2 days -- it's the best power amp I've ever heard under $10K. (But, if you don't like the CJ sound, which this has in every fiber and circuit, and perhaps also, if you don't really dig the McIntosh sound, which this comes closer to than any other CJ amp in CJ's history, my assessment may not apply to you!) It's far better than the ET250s, which I auditioned for several weeks a while back, and found too reticent and slow -- well, maybe I just don't like tubes in my power amp, even if only on the input stage. There's been speculation that this design is based on the old MacCormack DNA 250, which I think is probably true, but that's like saying the Porsche 356 was based on the VW Beetle, which was also true, but which totally misses the real point. I had the DNA 250, and while it was a good, powerful, quick amp, it really was a great home theater amp IMHO, not satisfactory for true audiophile setups. It's a close call on whether this is better than the PR350, because overall, they sound very much alike. But, I would say yes, because the MF2550 has 99% of the 350's feeling of effortless power, ease, and extension, but addresses what for me was the sole issue with the 350, the slight tendency to sound ever so slightly aggressive in the midrange at times. The MF2550 is super-sweet in the midrange. I would still not say it is a "tube" midrange -- it does not have the lateral expansiveness on voices that many find so engaging, but that others find to blowsy in tube power amps -- but it definitely has the CJ midrange, so intimate and palpable you could kiss Maria Callas's lips (and so real, you could feel the slap on your face if you dared try such an antic with La Divina.) So that's it for now -- this is a ravishingly beautiful power amp at a price that will put lots of people into the true high-end sound for the first time. I hope many others will give it an audition -- and a note to McIntosh fans (of which I am one also.) This is the first the CJ amp that to me sounds rather Mac-like in the way the power just grips every note and sound and keeps it under its potent control -- it reminded me a lot of the gorgeous MC452 -- so give it a whirl if you are willing to forgo the blue glow of meters for the burnished gold face of CJ. You will find what you like here too.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Señor Member

Really enjoyed your report. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2014, 04:03 PM

Nice review. Thanks!
ToneAudio also have a review in progress. Would be interesting to read their impressions as well.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash View Post
Nice review. Thanks!
ToneAudio also have a review in progress. Would be interesting to read their impressions as well.
Indeed, and I emailed Jeff, and his response was the clincher, since I had not heard the amp yet. He said: "Short version, get the new 2550, it's awesome! ... Way more dynamic and extended, without sacrificing the musicality you love from cj...." My thanks to Jeff!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Joe W

Thanks for the great review. What is the rest of your system.
[list] Analog: VPI Prime Signature Turntable in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Digital: Aurender N10, Holoaudio KTE May, Oppo 203, Preamplifier: Luxman C-10X, Parasound JC3 Jr, Amplifier: Luxman M-10X, Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 801 D4, Power Management: Audioquest Niagara 5000, Cables: Nordost Tyr 2, Wireworld Eclipse 7 & 8, , Rack: Core Audio Designs plyKraft 3L (x2)
Old 03-27-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw31 View Post
Thanks for the great review. What is the rest of your system.
Conrad Johnson Classic SE preamp (Teflon cap model); MF2550 amp replaces Conrad-Johnson MF-80 SS MOSFET; Harbeth 30.0; CD Marantz SA8004. Generic silver interconnect between amp and preamp; 12 gauge OFC copper speaker cable (nothing fancy). I think this amp could take a better preamp than what I have, like yours and the ET5 and still do it justice. I don't have vinyl.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:53 PM
Joe W

Thanks said the blind man who missed your signature
[list] Analog: VPI Prime Signature Turntable in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Digital: Aurender N10, Holoaudio KTE May, Oppo 203, Preamplifier: Luxman C-10X, Parasound JC3 Jr, Amplifier: Luxman M-10X, Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 801 D4, Power Management: Audioquest Niagara 5000, Cables: Nordost Tyr 2, Wireworld Eclipse 7 & 8, , Rack: Core Audio Designs plyKraft 3L (x2)
Old 04-17-2014, 02:12 PM

Update on CJ MF2550: Pretty much everything I said in my initial post remains the same, but the comparison to the PR 350 needs some explication. As the amp has burned in more, it has become more apparent to me that the voicing of my amp is definitely warmer than that of the 350. For me, that's a plus, but for those who want to come closer to the actual super-detailed sound of the 350, I would look at the SE model, with the teflon. I think the teflon is a much bigger part of the 350 sound than I realized. I couldn't handle any more Teflon than I already had with the ClassicSE preamp, but if you have an older non-SE CJ preamp, going to the MF2550SE might be the ticket, although again, you would want to audition. I found the the 2550SE slightly too detailed (sounds crazy, but I don't sit in the first row seats at the opera either), but I also think the SE I listened to was not close to broken in, so it's a question TBD. But, no doubt, the MF2550 is a truly inspired piece of engineering, artistry, and good taste from two veteran players who are clearly still at the top of their game. It has transformed my very good system into one that really sounds high-end to my ears, at a totally non-crazy price
Old 04-27-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgiliberti View Post
Update on CJ MF2550: Pretty much everything I said in my initial post remains the same, but the comparison to the PR 350 needs some explication. As the amp has burned in more, it has become more apparent to me that the voicing of my amp is definitely warmer than that of the 350. For me, that's a plus, but for those who want to come closer to the actual super-detailed sound of the 350, I would look at the SE model, with the teflon. I think the teflon is a much bigger part of the 350 sound than I realized. I couldn't handle any more Teflon than I already had with the ClassicSE preamp, but if you have an older non-SE CJ preamp, going to the MF2550SE might be the ticket, although again, you would want to audition. I found the the 2550SE slightly too detailed (sounds crazy, but I don't sit in the first row seats at the opera either), but I also think the SE I listened to was not close to broken in, so it's a question TBD. But, no doubt, the MF2550 is a truly inspired piece of engineering, artistry, and good taste from two veteran players who are clearly still at the top of their game. It has transformed my very good system into one that really sounds high-end to my ears, at a totally non-crazy price
Hello

Thanks for your very interresting report...

I 've always appreciated the the 2250/2550 amp series for years and many audiophiles do not know the sound quality of these amps...

the hardware development shares some similar things with the MC Cormak , that is more analytic in sound but the CJ's remain warmth as usual...

I owned a MF 2250 which is less powerfull than the 2550 but similar in balance ,rythm , soundstage with a lovely medium especially when linked in partnership with CJ pre like PV8/PV10A ( to be heard in comparison with MV55/MV60SE)

Underestimate SS gear but a great value indeed!

Raymond
Old 05-14-2014, 11:58 PM

Nice review of the 2550SE today in Tone Audio
http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_63.pdf

Quote:
As with the Premier 350, Conrad-Johnson’s MF2550 SE’s simple, elegant, and understated design delivers breathtaking musical performance in a compact package.
I was a little surprised that they found the SE version a bit warmer than the Premier 350 -- I would say my non-se is warmer, but not the SE I listened to, which was ultra-detailed (too much so for me.) What I think both 2550s really have in common with the great PR 350 is the seemingly limitless power reserves and quickness of response to power demands, like a 6.2L V-8 in an Escalade -- the effortless ride and glide. Really, a tremendous amp for $4K and totally CJ sound.