AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
Not sure why that is funny - Dan Wright's warranty policy is clearly written on the link I attached - he will warranty his work as well as the player itself and his customer service is excellent.
JJinID.......What's funny to me is that someone would take a $2K product like the Transporter, with a three year parts and labor warranty from the manufacturer, then pay an additional $2K plus shipping both ways to have the analog section modified to tube output that follows one of ModWright's preamp designs. To me, that seems outrageously expensive, while at the same time losing the three year parts and labor factory warranty. ModWrights clearly written warranty that you refered to is one year parts and labor on their work. They clearly state they will "assist in repairs that would otherwise be covered by factory warranty." They go on to say, "provided that the repair is within our ability, we will perform the work for parts cost, and minimal if any labor". That is a long ways from the three years parts and labor warranty provided by the factory. The additional $2k plus shipping buys the mod, and a promise of assistance with any issues other than their mod, if it is within their ability. That's what I find funny. No offense intended if you are a Dan Wright fan, strictly just my opinion.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-07-2009, 08:57 PM
The Architect

Dan - you are certainly entitled to and have a right to your opinion. Having stock players modified and the potential "risk" involved is certainly not for everyone, but I have yet to hear of anyone, anywhere reporting having an issue with Modwright not taking care of them if any of their players have run into an issue.

The only thing I would take issue with in your previous post is that you state that you think the MW TP seems "outrageously expensive" when it doesn't appear that you have heard about it before this thread. Again you are entitled to your opinion but I bet if you auditioned it your opinion might just change. BTW I have thoroughly enjoyed your product reviews to date both here and at the other forum.

For full disclosure to this board, I have met Dan Wright personally and consider him a friend. He still is performing modifications to players, but his main focus has been with his line of very high quality preamps, a phono-preamp, and a just introducted amplifier. I do not currently own any of his products, although I have heard many of them and consider them very high end and in many cases an outstanding value. I am having him perform a "proof of concept" modification on a just introduced player (see my previous posts if you want to figure out what that is ) and I am very excited to hear the results!

Sorry BTW if I have overly hijacked this thread - which was about FLAC files and comparing the MS750 vs Sonos playback. I hope my opinions/feedback have been helpful...
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 05-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Merry Christmas to all

JJinID.......I had a feeling you might be friends with Dan Wright. I sensed I hit a small nerve, and I understand your defense. I would probably do the exact same thing under the same conditions.

You are absolutely correct, I have not heard the Transport, or the ModWrite Transport. In this respect, my opinion has no proof source, so it is just a hip shot reaction. In no way am I attempting to deminishing the ModWright Transport, or Dan Wright, whom I have not met, and who is obviously a talented individual. I am simply saying that from my point of view, doubling the price of a component, any component for that matter, to modify the circuitry, makes me think perhaps the original component should have been left on the store shelf, and a higher quality component selected in the first place. I certainly did not mean to fluff your feathers, or insult your friend.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-07-2009, 09:53 PM

Sometimes the modded gear goes way beyond in performance of comparable gear. I can't say much about the Wright mods and the "Transporter" but I did own a AH! Tjoeb CDP and it was at least as good as the 4x more expensive Meridian 508.20 I also had at the time. There is a newer version, the Njoe Tjoeb 4000 by the way. Basically a Marantz CDP that is modified just about any way possible with high quality parts like Wima, Vishay and converted to tubed as well. A true bargain for the price and keeps up with CDPs at 3-5 times the price. Njoe Tjoeb 4000
Old 05-07-2009, 10:45 PM
The Architect

Dan - thanks for the reply - it is appreciated. Your opinions and advice on this forum are highly sought after and valued (by myself included). I did feel the need to stick up a little for Modwright, not just because I know Dan Wright but primarily because I do sincerely believe he does good work and makes a terrific suite of products. I would encourage anyone here who is interested in learning more to check out his offerings and if possible audition them - I think many folks will be impressed.

I understand your point of view regarding spending 2x the cost to have a product modified. It is a bit of a paradigm shift for lack of a better phrase. Going back to my previous example of the Denon 2930 vs the MVP871, McIntosh is basically taking the guts of the Denon player, replacing the analog stage and power supply and replacing other parts with ones of higher quality (and adding a new Mc case). Is the Mc player worth 10x more than the Denon? That depends...it's up to the buyer to decide that. To me the modifications Modwright is doing isn't really all that dissimilar. The Modwright Transporter is a completely different player internally than stock TP - see the internal before and after pics (and the review here) to learn more: 6moons audio reviews: ModWright Transporter

BTW, I hope I'm not coming across as an advertisement here. I'm a blue-blood Mc owner (have had a Mc based system in my home since the day I was born and probably always will). Just trying to share what I know about some of what else is out there based on my experiences...
Old 05-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Merry Christmas to all

JJinID........Thank you for your positive comments. For me, it is all about fun and musical enjoyment. We are all in the same boat, sometimes rowing straight and true, sometimes rowing in a circle. Either way, it is a blast.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:20 PM
The Architect

HA! And here I was worried about coming across as advertising...

http://audioaficionado.org/mcintosh-...html#post12798

Just kidding Serge!

Here's to all of the great forum members at AA!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
HA! And here I was worried about coming across as advertising...

http://audioaficionado.org/mcintosh-...html#post12798

Just kidding Serge!

Here's to all of the great forum members at AA!
Well, the reviews speak for themselves but I did own that preamp for close to 4 years some time ago and I thought it was simply great. Ah, the good old days when one could find the true diamonds in the rough and build a truly great system on a "budget". I thought the original McCormack DNA .5 amp was simply awesome too for the money.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:39 PM
The Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Well, the reviews speak for themselves but I did own that preamp for close to 4 years some time ago and I thought it was simply great. Ah, the good old days when one could find the true diamonds in the rough and build a truly great system on a "budget". I thought the original McCormack DNA .5 amp was simply awesome too for the money.
Sorry Serge - I was just feeling guilty about talking about the Modwright so much and linking a review to it here in the Mc sub forum, so I was just kidding about it by showing all of the links in your post. I really didn't mean to call you out as doing anything wrong or make light of your recommendation...I'm sure it is a good one as usual
Old 05-08-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Sorry Serge - I was just feeling guilty about talking about the Modwright so much and linking a review to it here in the Mc sub forum, so I was just kidding about it by showing all of the links in your post. I really didn't mean to call you out as doing anything wrong or make light of your recommendation...I'm sure it is a good one as usual
No worries. I knew what you meant. Anyways, the more links, the more informed we are is how I always feel about these things. It is a hobby after all and every hobby has tons of learning that goes with it.