AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-04-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac man View Post
I am strongly considering one of these speakers. I am looking for feedback from all who have listened to one two or all of these. Any Info will be much appreciated. I will be making trips to listen to all of these but I am curious as to what you guys think!! Any others you can think of in the 15k range? I have sold my 802d's and can't wait to try something new!

Thanks,

Dave
I have heard the Sophia 2's and the XR200, and very quickly the PMC's. As I stated in my Thread about listening to them at AK Fest, I am reserving my opinion of the 200's until I get to hear them at one of my local dealers. They were not impressive this past Saturday. Use Serge's Wilson notes and the PMC advocates comments on those speakers, I haven't heard the later long enough to form a valid opinion.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac man View Post
Mx119 Mc602 Mc207, I have put my Von Schewikert vr4jr back in the system for now but I plan on new speakers this summer. (I love 2 channel but I also have 7.1 surround) That is what scares me about wilson the price of their surrounds are $$$$ but we will see. Any suggestions is much appreciated
You're right, doing full Wilson 7.1 will get very pricey in a hurry... The 602 will obviously have all the control over the speaker you would need.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:35 PM

+1 on reading the comments in Serge's thread's on the Sophia. Another in that price range you may want to audition is the Rockport Mira. Have not heard it, but I have heard it's bigger brother and was pretty impressed.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the ideas all!! I am looking forward to a great month or two of listening
Old 05-04-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmtpa View Post
+1 on reading the comments in Serge's thread's on the Sophia. Another in that price range you may want to audition is the Rockport Mira. Have not heard it, but I have heard it's bigger brother and was pretty impressed.
I have heard the Rockport and my comments/opinion is the Sophia 2 would be the better buy than the Mira. They sounded s-so even driven by gears like Jeff Rowland and MBL's. The ones that are striking would be the Aquila and Altair! I know these are higher priced models but seemingly the sound quality of these does not "watered" down to lower priced ones.

I stand corrected but this the impression given to me. And when you are at that level, many speakers comes into play ..... btw, I dont know how much they are asking in the US, but the Aquila is priced at S$64k and to me there a lot of competition although they sounded pretty good and flawlessly build.

The dealer who carried them had a hard time when I asked for his opinion between the MBL 101e MKII (same price) versus the Aquila. To me, the 101e MkII is a way much better sounding speakers and I did do an "A" "B" between them using the same MBL reference line source and amps. Oh, and I dont own either though I would like to have the full MBL reference one day (if I am lucky and good enough to talk my way thru ... but thats another fantasy!)

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 05-04-2009, 06:00 PM

I believe you have to step up to the Altair to get the composite cabinet that weighs 515 lbs each. Below that you get the still very good but triple laminated cabinet. The Aquila weighs only 300 lbs....
Old 05-04-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I believe you have to step up to the Altair to get the composite cabinet that weighs 515 lbs each. Below that you get the still very good but triple laminated cabinet. The Aquila weighs only 300 lbs....
Serious money when you hit that kind of level and competition would be like Wilson Alexandria's, JM Labs Utopia EM, Acapella Campanile MkII, Magico 5 or 6, not to mention the venerable McIntosh own XRT2K .....

Come to that kind of level, I suppose its all about taste as space should not be in the equation too.

So much toys, so much money and still so much headache ... in choosing?

Life is so full of controversies! Maybe I have not reached that level to understand what life is all about at that stage!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar