AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Integrated

Integrated All in one, Still in Style

Old 01-05-2010, 02:56 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Stephen, I had completely forgotten how beautiful the Barzalay cabinets could be - and yours is one of the best looking I've ever seen. Back in the old Days I used to drool over the Barzalay catalogues but at the time it would have been a real stretch financially. I think back then, I homemade my stereo cabinets with bricks and boards and they provided totally non-superior isolation etc and probably made the sound awful.

The Cayin looks just right in the center of the cabinet, and I'll wager it sounds terrific. I've heard good things about that integrated amp.

Please keep us posted on the sound.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 01-05-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:05 PM

Thanks guys...

Julian, I just pulled out the original paperwork ...

Price was in 1963 $218.00 as a kit or $308.06 Finished.

As a kit that is $1507.57 today

And Finished is $2130.38 today
Old 01-05-2010, 07:20 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
Thanks guys...

Julian, I just pulled out the original paperwork ...

Price was in 1963 $218.00 as a kit or $308.06 Finished.

As a kit that is $1507.57 today

And Finished is $2130.38 today
Stephen,

Thanks a bunch. In 1963, in my first real job, I was making about $600 a month as a bank loan officer - now In 2010 as a recent retiree, I'm still not making much more than today's cost of a finished cabinet - so I still couldn't afford a Barzalay!!!

Julian

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 01-05-2010, 08:27 PM

Julian...

Something tells me that you could probably swing it...

Here is one of the pages from a "high fidelity" may 1963

Old 01-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Listener in Training

Stephen,
Congrats on that setup, it's beautiful. Like the old literature too, very cool.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 01-07-2010, 09:51 PM

I cannot believe that I am about to type this, but...

I have not turned on my main system since I got the Cayin...

In fact, today, I moved the MCD500 into the Barzilay for its DAC's.

This system is sooooo satisfying, both to look at AND to listen to.

This amp is supposed to be very similar in wiring, layout and sound to a MC240... if that helps some of you guys...

Tubes and Altec Co Axial drivers. Sweet.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:52 PM

Well the inexpensive Cambridge Phono Stage arrived today... hooked it up and am now REALLY enjoying spinning some vinyl on the "New Vintage System".

I have enjoyed the system a lot with the digital Sonos, but the vinyl really brings out a certain sweetness with the 6L6 based tube Integrated and the Altec Co-Axial drivers.

At some point I would love to get some thoughts on tube rolling for this amplifier.

Listening to Buddy Guy "I was walking through the woods"

Lovin' it
Old 01-11-2010, 11:54 PM

When you want to put a McIntosh Integrated in there let me know.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Music Non-Stop...

I think that you'll enjoy these>>>Quad of SED Winged C 6L6GC's, as far as new tubes go.

Very nice amp. Elegant and simple.

Are you considering a tubed phono stage? A Manley Steelhead is excellent ($$$), but one can't go wrong with a used JuicyMusic Tercel II or even a Bottlehead Seduction if you're feeling adventurous and are handy with a soldering iron, but I suppose that the look is a consideration with your very pretty cabinet.

Last edited by Sproink; 01-12-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:13 AM

Keith,

You're not already selling your MA7000, again, are you???

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC45 View Post
When you want to put a McIntosh Integrated in there let me know.