AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 12-13-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Has anyone tried the big bottle Tung Sol 6L6G? It's a 6L6G in name only it is electrically a 6L6GC rated for higher voltages.
I currently have the “big bottle” Tung-Sol 6L6-G installed in my McIntosh MC240. It's a good looking 6L6GC variant that sounds good. I've not tried them in my Inspire SET amp.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Not enough to be concerned about. I got sucked into a flavor of the month tweak.
It happens.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_kc View Post
I currently have the “big bottle” Tung-Sol 6L6-G installed in my McIntosh MC240. It's a good looking 6L6GC variant that sounds good. I've not tried them in my Inspire SET amp.

I use them in my MC30's. A very nice tube. Have not tried them in my Inspire yet. Too many other tubes to try first.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Not every tube sounds best driven hard. The bigun's KT88 etc. benefit from a
5AR4 etc. I did use my Pope GT's with a 5Y3/5U4G and they rocked.

I put the Shuguang black glass KT66z's back in and they are one *my* favorite tubes.

Has anyone tried the big bottle Tung Sol 6L6G? It's a 6L6G in name only it is electrically a 6L6GC rated for higher voltages.
I have used the big bottle Tung Sol 6L6G in my Inspire amp. In fact that is the power tube Dennis shipped with my Fire Bottle. I have also tried the amp with Svetlana Winged C 6L6GCs. I am a little partial to the 6V6 as a power tube, in my system. I still have KT88 and KT77 to try.

Last edited by nhparrot; 12-14-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhparrot View Post
I have used the big bottle Tung Sol 6L6G in my Inspire amp. In fact that is the power tube Dennis shipped with my Fire Bottle. I have also tried the amp with Svetlana Winged C 6L6GCs. I am a little partial to the 6V6 as a power tube, in my system. I still have KT88 and KT77 to try.

I like the 6V6/6L6 family too and will likely stay with them. I have JJ and GL KT77's (I was using them in another amp) both are good but I still prefer the 6V6/6L6. I will compare the Tung Sol big bottle to the Shuguang KT66z.

The new Gold Lion and Tung Sol 6V6's are both fine tubes and can, perhaps should be, run with a 274/5U4G rectifier. They rock with more voltage.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
I don't have any direct experience but am planning on using them in a Bel Canto DAC3.

Here a couple of interesting reviews:
The Stereo Times
Stereophile
I don't think I used that same fuse. The ones I had were German. I don't recall the brand. It was an improvement but not earthshaking. It really is hard to fathom why a fuse would impact the sound. YMMV.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:47 AM

I have a pair of the big bottle Tung Sol 6L6's coming. I'm curious to see how they compare to the black glass KT66z's.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:55 PM

What are the opinions on power line conditioners with these amps?
Old 12-20-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_kc View Post

If you don't mind me asking, could anyone here comment on the difference between your SET amps and the MC240? Does the old Mac gear sound similar to the SET stuff? That 6L6 amp is beautiful.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWH View Post
If you don't mind me asking, could anyone here comment on the difference between your SET amps and the MC240? Does the old Mac gear sound similar to the SET stuff? That 6L6 amp is beautiful.
JWH,

I’ve spent some time trying my Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO in each of my systems – using several different tube combinations. I’ve chosen amps to install in each of my systems based on the synergy of an amp and the speakers. IME the Inspire SET’s performance is more dependent on the speakers than push/pull tube amps. (Also, IME the Inspire SET often performs better for pop recordings than hi-res classical recordings, because hi-res classical recordings are often recorded at a much lower average volume level than pop recordings, and require more gain from an amp.)

My McIntosh MC240 sounds great driving the Klipsch Palladium P-37F speakers (4 ohm, 96dB) in my TV room system. In this system the Inspire SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO (driven directly by my Oppo BDP-105’s variable output) doesn’t sound as good as the MC240. (Or for that matter the other push/pull integrated tube amps and receivers in this system). While I’m confident that a pre-amp would benefit the Inspire in my TV room system by introducing tone controls to tailor the sound, I found that the Inspire mates better with different speakers – without the need for tone controls.

My Inspire SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO sounds best with my Klipsch RF-7 (8 ohm, 101dB) speakers in my basement system, so this is where it will reside. Here’s a pic of my amps in that system (the Inspire is top right):

It s difficult to say which of the amps in this system sounds “best” – it depends on the music, and my mood – but I will say that the Inspire SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO (when equipped with 6DJ8, 5AR4, and either KT88 or GT-6L6-GE) delivers excellent sound quality with the RF-7s. For some hi-res classical recordings there isn’t quite enough gain (when not using a pre-amp), however on other hi-res classical recordings (and all pop recordings) there is ample gain, and the Inspire can deliver impressively deep bass (with the right tubes).

The Inspire also sounds good driving the JBL L880 (8 ohm, 91dB) speakers in my (small) office system (no pre-amp), and compares favorably with the Fisher 500C, Scott 299B and Altec 353A amps in that system.

Have you considered a pair of McIntosh MC30s in lieu of an MC240? I have a pair of MC30s in my living room system that sound great driving my Snell Type CV speakers. OOTH, the Inspire doesn’t have enough power to drive these speakers to a satisfying level when playing classical music, without using a pre-amp. (Other amps in this system include a Scott 296, McIntosh MX110Z / MC275, and a pair of Pilot HF-56s.)

Bottom line, IME the Inspire Stereo Tube Amplifier HO’s performance is highly dependent on the speakers (i.e., more so than push/pull tube amps), which tubes are installed, and the music. The Inspire Stereo Tube Amplifier HO is capable of excellent sound quality in the right environment. There is definitely something special about the sound of the Inspire SET amp, but the MC240 will successfully drive a wider range of speakers.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by robert_kc; 12-21-2015 at 12:02 PM.