AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Isolation, Tips & Tweaks

Isolation, Tips & Tweaks Enhance your enjoyment

Old 07-29-2020, 10:32 PM

Default Rack configuration VS dedicated 20A lines

Hey there,

When I ran some dedicated lines a few years ago, I ran one for the front wall and one on the right side wall. At the time, I had my amplifier sitting alone in front between the two speakers and the rest of the gear was on another rack on the side. But now I am using an integrated amplifier and all my gear is in front. I don't like my rack configuration as it is (two high an asymetric) and I was looking for a piece of furniture more suited for a family room, sort of credenza, so that all my gear would be lower and clear the view for the screen. That was the initial plan...

Then I told myself that I could keep my existing rack and reconfigure it as it was back then. I would keep only the amplifier in front and move all my digital gear on the other dedicated line on the side wall. Would there be audio benefits to separate the amplifier and the rest of my system on two different lines? Or just plug everything in front (that would mean I would need a new furniture) and not worry about power?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6549.jpg (83.0 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05157.jpg (86.5 KB, 179 views)
Old 07-30-2020, 10:53 AM

I like the look of an amp between the speakers down low. Your room would most likely benefit from placing a rug down and something on your glass table. It does look like an inviting relaxing room.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Denali 6000/s V2, Altaira
Old 07-30-2020, 12:00 PM
Racing Hoopties

I also like the look of your integrated low and in between. I am less enamored with the rest of your rack directly in the corner where it is going to see maximum low end resonances. Can you move further down the side wall? Even a few feet would be better.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 07-30-2020, 12:16 PM

There is definite audible benefit getting gear out from between the speakers. A little absorption at the mirror points and behind the speakers will improve the listening experience.

There is a definite audible benefit of getting rid of that glass top coffee table between you and your speakers.

Everything else is convenience and appearance related.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 07-30-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
I like the look of an amp between the speakers down low. Your room would most likely benefit from placing a rug down and something on your glass table. It does look like an inviting relaxing room.
The pictures I posted were not totally current but I just took these photos so this is exactly how it is now. Since then I placed an area rug of 9' X 10' in the listening/watching area. It makes the room very inviting and comfortable, especially in the winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9546.jpg (90.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9547.jpg (89.7 KB, 103 views)
Old 07-30-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
I also like the look of your integrated low and in between. I am less enamored with the rest of your rack directly in the corner where it is going to see maximum low end resonances. Can you move further down the side wall? Even a few feet would be better.
You can see in my previous post that there is a fireplace on the right side wall and I only have about 50 inches of space there. On the left side wall, there is the entry door to the room so I cannot put anything there. My rack is about 24" wide so I understand it would be best to move it closer to the fire place?
Old 07-30-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
There is definite audible benefit getting gear out from between the speakers. A little absorption at the mirror points and behind the speakers will improve the listening experience.

There is a definite audible benefit of getting rid of that glass top coffee table between you and your speakers.

Everything else is convenience and appearance related.
I will seriously consider keeping only the amplifier in front between the speakers. The only thing is that I will need a longer interconnect.

I have in the plans to install some room treatments but I honestly don't know where to start. When to use absorbtion, when to use diffusion?.. My room is 16' wide in front and is 25' deep and I sit about halfway at 13'. The room is all open with no walls and the back of the room is a home office/computer area.

I wasn't aware that the glass table would be an issue but it is needed, especially for those movie nights with the kids. I will try to remove it and audition if I hear a difference. But if a table can cause some issue, what about the sectionnal I am planning to purchase? There will be about 30" between the left speaker and the end of the couch. Would this cause too much absorbtion on the left side and make everything imbalanced?
Old 07-30-2020, 08:57 PM

For me your room looks very nice as it is.
Why not take the top shelf over the Yamaha rack and put it on the left side so you will have 3 racks at about the same height between your Totem.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:23 PM

Serge-

First Things First!
Beautiful job on the renovation/redecoration of you room. It looks clean and modern. Like what you did with the fireplace too. Is it a traditional wood burning or did you add an insert stove like piece?

Now that you have a screen, the equipment rack may distract from viewing. Is it possible to combine all into one taller rack and place it back by the fireplace as in the older photo? You would just need longer speaker cables. All of you current equipment should be fine with a single 20 amp. If later you need (or would desire) the second circuit, 12g Romax can be neatly run in some type of conduit along/above the baseboard. After the wife's permission of course.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:40 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
You can see in my previous post that there is a fireplace on the right side wall and I only have about 50 inches of space there. On the left side wall, there is the entry door to the room so I cannot put anything there. My rack is about 24" wide so I understand it would be best to move it closer to the fire place?

As far from the corner as a safe would be best. There will be maximum bass energy in that corner.

It’s all about compromises. In between the speakers is not ideal, in a corner is not ideal. Find what works for you and let it sing! All of our inputs are about ideals. Few of us can have the ‘ideal’.

The room does look very nice by the way!!
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 08-06-2020 at 06:43 PM.