AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 01-01-2018, 03:19 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottikid View Post
I’m thinking of upgrading from the Aurender N100h to the N10.
I will be using the Aurender N10 with the McIntosh C52 Preamp. I will be using a Nordost Heimdall 2 digital cable 75 Ohm S/PDIF Terminated with BNC and has RCA adapters. The McIntosh Preamp has Optical and COAXIAL not BNC. Should I use Aurender BNC to COXIAL using RCA adapter on the McIntosh or Aurender COAXIAL to McIntosh COAXIAL. Is there a difference going from BNC TO COAXIAL. Which is the best way to Hookup for the BEST Sound. I don’t even know if hooking up BNC TO COAXIAL will work. Thanks so much for everyone’s help and I wish you all a Very Healthy And Happy [emoji2] New Year.
Jim.......Coaxial to coaxial connections provide an excellent digital signal path. So does BNC to BNC, and BNC to coaxial. BNC connections are often used in the professional environment to provide a more secure connection and usually provides the correct cable impedance required for the input. Going either way will provide superior performance over USB.

Yes, there are BNC to RCA SPDIF coaxial adapters. I had Wireworld terminate a Silver Starlight digital interconnect with RCA on one end and BNC on the other. Doing that eliminates the need for an adapter. Ivan can get this done for you.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 01-01-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:12 PM

USB let’s you listen to files at or above DSD 128 or PNC higher than 196 k (only with USB)

Last edited by 1KW; 01-01-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:13 PM

Jdandy thanks. I’m going to use Nordost Heimdall 2 cable that comes with RCA adapters. The reason is I’m getting a really good discount otherwise I would contact Ivan.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jim.......Coaxial to coaxial connections provide an excellent digital signal path. So does BNC to BNC, and BNC to coaxial. BNC connections are often used in the professional environment to provide a more secure connection and usually provides the correct cable impedance required for the input. Going either way will provide superior performance over USB.

Yes, there are BNC to RCA SPDIF coaxial adapters. I had Wireworld terminate a Silver Starlight digital interconnect with RCA on one end and BNC on the other. Doing that eliminates the need for an adapter. Ivan can get this done for you.

Dan,

I’ve been using a Synergistic Research Galileo USB cable with my Aurender N10 as that is what my local dealer had recommended before I got my Aurender when I was using a Mac Mini.

My Galileo USB does sound quite good and better than other USB cables that I tried with it with both of my DACs. In the past I found that USB cables sound quite different from each other. That being said, I am interested in trying SPDIF cable of one type or another to compare the sound. I’ve sold all my digital cables along time ago. The best sounding that I used with my old Theta Ganeration 5 DAC was the Illuminations Orchid XLR which was better sounding than their RCA equivalent, the Illuminations D60, so I am biased with XLR based on that experience. I am aware that this kind of thing is system dependent, but have you or anyone else have any experience with XLR digital with your Aurender N10?
Old 01-02-2018, 05:25 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLF View Post
Dan,

I’ve been using a Synergistic Research Galileo USB cable with my Aurender N10 as that is what my local dealer had recommended before I got my Aurender when I was using a Mac Mini.

My Galileo USB does sound quite good and better than other USB cables that I tried with it with both of my DACs. In the past I found that USB cables sound quite different from each other. That being said, I am interested in trying SPDIF cable of one type or another to compare the sound. I’ve sold all my digital cables along time ago. The best sounding that I used with my old Theta Ganeration 5 DAC was the Illuminations Orchid XLR which was better sounding than their RCA equivalent, the Illuminations D60, so I am biased with XLR based on that experience. I am aware that this kind of thing is system dependent, but have you or anyone else have any experience with XLR digital with your Aurender N10?
Bob.......I have not experienced the AES/EBU balanced output of my Aurender N10 because my Esoteric K-01X that I also use as my DAC in the studio system does not provide that version of SPDIF input. From my N10 to the K-01X I have both the USB cable and a RCA coaxial digital cable installed. Using this method I can switch to USB if I wish to decode DSD, and back to SPDIF coaxial cable for Redbook and hi-res PCM. All the SPDIF outputs on the Aurender N10 make use of its incredibly accurate oven controlled crystal oscillator (OCXO) that clocks those digital outputs. The USB output does not benefit from the OCXO clock and proprietary SPDIF circuitry. I have made direct comparisons between the USB and coaxial output. I prefer the coaxial digital output.

If you are a DSD fan, then you will want to use the USB connection. I still suggest you also connect a high quality coaxial digital cable between the N10 and your DAC. I am confident you will arrive at the same conclusion I have about the improved resolution offered by the SPDIF output of the N10.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 01-02-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:26 PM

I prefer the N10 over the N100h.
I am one of the ones that prefers the USB connection of the N10 via an IFi to my K-01x, and not over COAX. Not just for hires but because I prefer the sound.
I am starting to make a change now since I just purchased a Berkeley Alpha DAC Reference Series 2 MQA. I have been running a digital 110 ohm AES/EBU cable from the N10 to the Berkeley DAC. I only have less than 50 hours on the Berkeley but so far I prefer the Berkeley over the K-01x DAC when using the N10. I am still waiting for the Berkeley Alpha USB to add to the mix. It should be here next week.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Denali 6000/s V2, Altaira
Old 01-02-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Bob.......I have not experienced the AES/EBU balanced output of my Aurender N10 because my Esoteric K-01X that I also use as my DAC in the studio system does not provide that version of SPDIF input. From my N10 to the K-01X I have both the USB cable and a RCA coaxial digital cable installed. Using this method I can switch to USB if I wish to decode DSD, and back to SPDIF coaxial cable for Redbook and hi-res PCM. All the SPDIF outputs on the Aurender N10 make use of its incredibly accurate oven controlled crystal oscillator (OCXO) that clocks those digital outputs. The USB output does not benefit from the OCXO clock and proprietary SPDIF circuitry. I have made direct comparisons between the USB and coaxial output. I prefer the coaxial digital output.

If you are a DSD fan, then you will want to use the USB connection. I still suggest you also connect a high quality coaxial digital cable between the N10 and your DAC. I am confident you will arrive at the same conclusion I have about the improved resolution offered by the SPDIF output of the N10.
Dan. Thank you for your most helpful input. I did read your most insightful review on the N10 where I learned about the OCXO clock which isn't utilized by the USB output. My Ayre QX-5 DAC also advertises an "Ayre & Morion crystal crystal oscillator" which is supposed to have very low jitter. As for DSD and 192/24 which I have on my Aurender files, I will of course depend on my USB output. However, I still spin my SACDs on my PS Audio DMP transport to the PS Audio DirectStream DAC which in combination decodes DSD on SACD.

I will indeed try out one of the SPDIF output of my N10 soon and report back. I understand that WireWorld makes some great cables which should admirably do the job. I'll report back once that I try at least one SPDIF cable.
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
I prefer the N10 over the N100h.
I am one of the ones that prefers the USB connection of the N10 via an IFi to my K-01x, and not over COAX. Not just for hires but because I prefer the sound.
I am starting to make a change now since I just purchased a Berkeley Alpha DAC Reference Series 2 MQA. I have been running a digital 110 ohm AES/EBU cable from the N10 to the Berkeley DAC. I only have less than 50 hours on the Berkeley but so far I prefer the Berkeley over the K-01x DAC when using the N10. I am still waiting for the Berkeley Alpha USB to add to the mix. It should be here next week.
Paul. Thank you for your most valuable input. As I mentioned to Dan, I will try out one of the SPDIF connections on my N10. Interesting that, unlike Dan, you have had better success with AES/EBU digital cable. I imagine that it is system dependent and also which make and model of cables that are used.

Do you mind telling which brand and model AES/EBU you are using? Once you have your new new Berkeley Alpha USB setup in play, let us know your thoughts.
Ok?
Bob
Old 01-02-2018, 10:29 PM

Bob, I am only using the AES/EUB digital cable into the Berkeley DAC, the K-01x doesn't have that connection. I have just started using the N10 with the Berkeley so it is possible that my impressions may change but I believe that as I put more hours on the Berkeley that I am preferring that sound. I am using a 1.5m Acoustic Zen Absolute 110 AES/EUB digital cable.
With my alternative connection from the N10 to the K-01x, I am using a WW Platinum Starlight USB but it is going through an IFi splitter. I do prefer this over only using just the WW USB. When using COAX I have used a WW Platinum Starlight digital cable but I prefer the Acoustic Zen Absolute 75. As a disclaimer, I am a fan of Acoustic Zen cables.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Denali 6000/s V2, Altaira
Old 01-03-2018, 05:08 PM

"...but have you or anyone else have any experience with XLR digital with your Aurender N10?"

Yes, I've used all of the N10 outputs...mostly just to try them out.

Cables are: Shunyata Anaconda (v2) coax/xlr cables, Audience 24 SE USB Std, WW Super Nova 7 optical.

Based on my experience, I'd stack rank the sound:
  • Coax is my favorite; most spatial, "smoother," greatest presence, enveloping sound stage.
  • XLR is very, very close to coax; it sounded slightly louder than the coax, which makes sense (but I don't need the gain). To my ears, it lacked a bit of smoothness (top end seemed more emphasized) and the sound stage flattened just a bit.
  • Toslink: Sounds OK, but flat and congested compared to the above.
  • USB: Only for the highest res files, which sound very good. But, doesn't compare to the coax & xlr for non-highres listening IMO.
Best,
ed
Old 01-03-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
Bob, I am only using the AES/EUB digital cable into the Berkeley DAC, the K-01x doesn't have that connection. I have just started using the N10 with the Berkeley so it is possible that my impressions may change but I believe that as I put more hours on the Berkeley that I am preferring that sound. I am using a 1.5m Acoustic Zen Absolute 110 AES/EUB digital cable.
With my alternative connection from the N10 to the K-01x, I am using a WW Platinum Starlight USB but it is going through an IFi splitter. I do prefer this over only using just the WW USB. When using COAX I have used a WW Platinum Starlight digital cable but I prefer the Acoustic Zen Absolute 75. As a disclaimer, I am a fan of Acoustic Zen cables.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will put Acoustic Zen on my shortlist.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by medwardo View Post

"...but have you or anyone else have any experience with XLR digital with your Aurender N10?"

Yes, I've used all of the N10 outputs...mostly just to try them out.

Cables are: Shunyata Anaconda (v2) coax/xlr cables, Audience 24 SE USB Std, WW Super Nova 7 optical.

Based on my experience, I'd stack rank the sound:
  • Coax is my favorite; most spatial, "smoother," greatest presence, enveloping sound stage.
  • XLR is very, very close to coax; it sounded slightly louder than the coax, which makes sense (but I don't need the gain). To my ears, it lacked a bit of smoothness (top end seemed more emphasized) and the sound stage flattened just a bit.
  • Toslink: Sounds OK, but flat and congested compared to the above.
  • USB: Only for the highest res files, which sound very good. But, doesn't compare to the coax & xlr for non-highres listening IMO.
Best,
ed
Ed, thanks for your most helpful and informative reply. I’ve read somewhere, but can’t remember the details or where, that coax sounded a little better than XLR with the Aurender. Ironically, I hooked up an old Wireworld glass optical cable that I had on hand from my N10 to my Ayre QX-5 DAC and it appears to sound a little better in being less bright than my Synergistic Research Galileo USB. In my system, it doesn’t seem flat in comparison to my USB. I was almost imbarrased to admit that I find the WW optical to sound as good as it does. I haven’t tried it with my other DAC (PS Audio DirecStream) which seems to like USB better than the Ayre.

I’ll definitly try both XLR and coax to compare.

Do you mind sharing what DAC which you did the comparison?

Bob

Last edited by RLF; 01-03-2018 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Spelling