AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 12-01-2018, 02:33 AM

Hi Caelin,

I'm currently using an Alpha NR between my 6000T & the wall. (As my dealer didn't inform me that the Alpha EF would be just as good...)

How much of an improvement would a Sigma EF make? (I have my mono blocks plugged into the HC outlets, & my preamp, phono stage, SACD player, & active bass crossover plugged into the "source" outlets.)

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Just to be clear, the EF is not superior to the NR version. They are the same cable in construction and connectors except the NR version have built-in noise reduction. AAMOF, the NR is usually superior in performance to the EF when used on individual components. It is just that in this very specific application - the wall to Denali cable - that the NR has little to no advantages over the EF version. It is for this reason we recommend the EF version since it costs less.

And to be fair to the dealer, the EF version was released sometime after the NR version. So depending upon when you purchased the cable the dealer may not have been aware of it for this application.
So to reiterate the main reason for my post, how much of an improvement would a Sigma EF make, compared to my Alpha NR, given my system?

Thanks.

SOTA Cosmos (vacuum, Electronic Flywheel), SME V, Koetsu Rosewood Signature
Esoteric X-05 SACD player, Alesis ML-9600 mastering CD burner, Nakamichi 700 ZXE Cassette Deck!
Pass Labs XP-15 phono stage
Pass Labs XP-30 (with Revelation Audio Labs 'Passage' CryoSilver Reference DualConduit DB-25 umbilical cables) & Hovland HP-100 preamps
Edge G8+ laser-biased monoblocks & Classé M-700 monoblocks
Rockport Atria & Infinity IRS Beta Speakers
Audience AU24 SX Phono cable, MIT Shotgun ICs & SCs
Shunyata Denali 6000T power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha NR, Delta NR, Viper Ztron, Venom HC & Harmonic Technology PCs, Audio Magic Ultimate SHD Bees Wax Fuse, Synergistic Research Blue & Black fuses, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses
Klaudio LP200 ultrasonic RCM
Old 12-01-2018, 11:18 AM

I have a 6000S and have been using an Alpha NR. I received a Sigma NR on trial yesterday (didn't know about the Sigma EF). It's settling into the system and I will report back....
Old 12-01-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinla View Post
I have a 6000S and have been using an Alpha NR. I received a Sigma NR on trial yesterday (didn't know about the Sigma EF). It's settling into the system and I will report back....
Look forward to your report. My understanding is that an NR cable will not add much if you connect it to the Denali 6000 which has NR built-in. Potential savings if you go the EF route.

Do you plan to connect the 6000S to your Dags? If so, how do you like it versus plugging the Dags directly to the wall outlet? Any loss in dynamics or change in SQ?
Amps: Mc611s; Bryston 9BST Speakers: B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, B&W SCMs, 2x REL Carbon Special + Analysis Plus REL SpeakOn cable; Pre-Amp: C2700; Processor: Marantz 8805A Sources: Aurender N20; PSA Directstream DAC; JVC RS2000; Stewart Screen Cabaret with StudioTek 130 G4; Oppo UDP-205; Power & Cables: Taralabs bi-wire; WW XLR Silver Eclipse 8; WW Silver Starlight 7 Coax; Denali 6000T, Shunyata Alpha, Delta and Venom.

Last edited by btn2803; 12-01-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:43 AM

Comparing the S250 direct vs. via the 6000s was very subtle. My son (8 yrs) picked the direct to the wall as slightly better. I struggled as with the Denali it sounded smoother

As for the power cord difference - the main difference seemed to be sound stage. The Sigma presenting a deeper bass background on some songs. On others the difference was hard to tell.

This is just my initial impressions - will revisit when have more time.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:51 PM

Hi Caelin,

So in using with a streamer or DAC, my understanding is that the Alpha NR should do a better job than the Alpha HC as digital noises are greater in these components, correct?
Old 12-07-2018, 01:15 PM

Hi Caelin,

Can you please advise which powercord is a better option for AR Ref5SE:

Alpha HC or Alpha NR? And why?

Appreciate your insights. Thank you.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamak View Post
Hi Caelin,

You are comparing two different generations of power cords. Our NR / EF series power cords are the current generation. The prior generation included the Alpha Digital, Alpha Analog and the Alpha HC power cords. Both generations featured built in noise reduction filters. And both made use of our own CopperConn connectors that feature solid copper contacts.

The differences between the old generation and the new:

1) NR series has a more advanced filter system. This has measurably better noise reduction. It also eliminated the need for 3 different cords built for different applications such as digital, analog and high current.

2) The new NR generation cables are all treated on our proprietary KPIP processor. (Kinetic Phase Inversion Process). This was not available in the prior generation.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumhorn View Post
Hi Caelin,

So to reiterate the main reason for my post, how much of an improvement would a Sigma EF make, compared to my Alpha NR, given my system?

Thanks.
Sorry for the late reply. I have been busy in the lab lately.

This is always a difficult question to answer because you are asking for a subjective and perceptual “opinion”. Not everyone’s perceptual equipment is the same and certainly nobody’s system and room acoustics are the same. All of these play a profound role in answering your question.

If you are asking for MY opinion in MY custom built listening room - then I would say the difference is quite substantial. The Sigma will provide a better low frequency foundation for the music. It has a more expansive quality in soundscape along with a slightly less forward presentation. If a musician plucks a string on a guitar the decay of the note is longer with the Sigma - implying that low level resolution is superior. This gives a sense of being immersed in the music to a greater degree.

The Alpha HC was and still is an exceptional cable, especially considering its price. But the Sigma is superior whether it is the EF or NR version.

Last edited by CGabriel; 12-07-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamak View Post
Hi Caelin,

Alpha NR.
See other responses please.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Sorry for the late reply. I have been busy in the lab lately.

This is always a difficult question to answer because you are asking for a subjective and perceptual “opinion”. Not everyone’s perceptual equipment is the same and certainly nobody’s system and room acoustics are the same. All of these play a profound role in answering your question.

If you are asking for MY opinion in MY custom built listening room - then I would say the difference is quite substantial. The Sigma will provide a better low frequency foundation for the music. It has a more expansive quality in soundscape along with a slightly less forward presentation. If a musician plucks a string on a guitar the decay of the note is longer with the Sigma - implying that low level resolution is superior. This gives a sense of being immersed in the music to a greater degree.

The Alpha HC was and still is an exceptional cable, especially considering its price. But the Sigma is superior whether it is the EF or NR version.
Sorry to belabor the point, but does your answer above refer to a "Sigma EF vs Alpha HC" or "Sigma EF vs Alpha NR", which it what I have? I ask because in your last paragraph you reference the Alpha HC, rather than the Alpha NR that I have...

Thanks!