AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 12-07-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumhorn View Post
Sorry to belabor the point, but does your answer above refer to a "Sigma EF vs Alpha HC" or "Sigma EF vs Alpha NR", which it what I have? I ask because in your last paragraph you reference the Alpha HC, rather than the Alpha NR that I have...

Thanks!
Ok, a Sigma EF versus an Alpha NR when used as the cable from the wall to the Denali is a big difference.

IMO
YMMV
Old 12-07-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Ok, a Sigma EF versus an Alpha NR when used as the cable from the wall to the Denali is a big difference.

IMO
YMMV
Much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 12-07-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
You are comparing two different generations of power cords. Our NR / EF series power cords are the current generation. The prior generation included the Alpha Digital, Alpha Analog and the Alpha HC power cords. Both generations featured built in noise reduction filters. And both made use of our own CopperConn connectors that feature solid copper contacts.

The differences between the old generation and the new:

1) NR series has a more advanced filter system. This has measurably better noise reduction. It also eliminated the need for 3 different cords built for different applications such as digital, analog and high current.

2) The new NR generation cables are all treated on our proprietary KPIP processor. (Kinetic Phase Inversion Process). This was not available in the prior generation.
Thanks Caelin.

Would you be able to describe the sound character difference between both Alpha HC and Alpha NR? From what i gather from reviews & forums, it seems that your cables had slowly evolve to become more “neutral” as compared to the earlier series where they are known to sound “sweet”.

While i understand that sound can be subjective and varies across different setups, im just curious of the sound traits of each of the above cable so that i can determine which might be more suitable for my setup.

Appreciate your insights. Thank you.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamak View Post
Thanks Caelin.

Would you be able to describe the sound character difference between both Alpha HC and Alpha NR? From what i gather from reviews & forums, it seems that your cables had slowly evolve to become more “neutral” as compared to the earlier series where they are known to sound “sweet”.

While i understand that sound can be subjective and varies across different setups, im just curious of the sound traits of each of the above cable so that i can determine which might be more suitable for my setup.

It’s probably not unlike the switch from a Sigma HC to a Sigma NR which I made in 2017.
The HC version was fuller sounding and warmer but still kind of neutral to me, but the NR version cleans up, defines, and speeds up the bass which makes it less warm up to the mids. By comparison, the HC is not as neutral. At first I was unhappy about losing warmth and fullness, but the more revealing character of the NR won me over quickly.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 12-08-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamak View Post
Thanks Caelin.

Well to be clear about this - the Alpha HC is one the best cost/performance cables we have ever built. It can compete with any other cable at any price. If you are a second-hand buyer or someone looking for a bargain, look for a used one from a reputable source.

I would not trade an Alpha HC for an Alpha NR. The cost differential to do the transaction is higher than what I would accept for the relatively small gain in performance. If you want a clear jump in performance, save your pennies and get the Sigma cable.

That being said: The Alpha NR is superior to the HC in purity and coherence. The HC sounds bigger in the bass but if you listen long enough you will realize that the NR has better bass definition and is likely more tonally accurate. If your preferences tend toward “more bass is always better”, you will likely choose the HC. The NR is very pure, even and linear in sound quality. But like I said above, these differences are subtle and splitting hairs. Which I suppose is what being an audiophile is all about. And I have no doubt that one of you will tell me that the difference between the HC and the NR was “huge”. I hear this feedback often and I trust it - your system, your room, your ears. When I go to visit people I usually hear what they hear in their system. So I encourage people to be tolerant of differing opinions. Context is everything.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:03 AM

Thanks Caelin,

I have took the plunge on a used alpha hc.

Appreciate your time in responding. Im sure i will be happy with the purchase but now the tough part; waiting for shipment..
Old 12-10-2018, 11:25 PM

I've upgraded from Venom range to Alpha/Delta NR. Does KPIP eliminate any change in character of sound from the initial hours of usage?
Old 12-18-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrycwk View Post
Hello Carlin and Grant,

May I ask when using Denali 6000T, is sigma nr significantly better than sigma ef? I’m asking because in the website, pairing sigma ef with 6000t is recommended as one of the possible applications.

Many thanks!
My apologies for the delayed reply.

The Sigma or Alpha EF are recommended with the Denali for the wall connection specifically. Internally, the Denali's have massive filtering on board, making the NR (noise reduction) power cords unnecessary for the wall connection. From components, I recommend the NR models because isolating noise at the power supply of each component will improve performance by isolating noise within the proximal electronic environment. This is especially true for the more digital-leaning systems.

Best regards,
Grant
Old 12-20-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantS View Post
My apologies for the delayed reply.

The Sigma or Alpha EF are recommended with the Denali for the wall connection specifically. Internally, the Denali's have massive filtering on board, making the NR (noise reduction) power cords unnecessary for the wall connection. From components, I recommend the NR models because isolating noise at the power supply of each component will improve performance by isolating noise within the proximal electronic environment. This is especially true for the more digital-leaning systems.

Best regards,
Grant
Grant, why has this messaging not been reinforced with dealers? In fact, I was given incomplete advice directly from a Shunyata rep. I've raised the concern with my dealer and it looks like I'll be able to trade my Alpha NR or Sigma EF. I expect the upgrade for only shipping cost.

Anyhow, aside from that, the new cables have delivered a tremendous upgrade from the Venom line. And, of course, the Denali is pretty amazing.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:16 PM

Default Sigma Analog PC vs Alpha NR?

I use 2 Alpha NR PCs for my power amp (BAT 600SE) and recently have trialed Alpha NR PCs for my preamp (BAT53SE), disc player and phono preamp. The Alpha NRs are a considerable improvement over my old PCs and I was planning to purchase them. But I may have a chance to instead purchase older model Sigma Analog PCs. I would appreciate any advice on whether the older Sigma Analog PCs are likely to be an improvement over the Alpha NR — for either the power amp or front end applications. I don't see obvious advantages from basic construction: both are 8 gauge cables with VTX construction; but I gather there are some difference in the noise reduction in the two. Obviously a trial if I can arrange it would be ideal, but I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.