AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 01-29-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspock View Post
Hi Jérome,

thx for this great return. Now you ha ve to listen a Sasha in good condition. Try to meet Laurent. The best reason is that the treble/medium is far better than the WP8 and bass is better controlled. WP8 is a very very great loudspeaker, but Sasha is something Exceptionnal, really. I had the chance to compare both, in the best condition.

Now, I am sure, you will come to the Wilson's owner club. Cheers..

Jean-Paul
That's what I said as well, just in not so many words...
Old 01-29-2012, 03:11 PM

Hum....

You guys are killing me with the Sasha !
I'm actually thinking about the Sophia 3 also because :
1/ I read the incredible reviews of Ken Kessler in HFN and Art Dudley in Stereophile : both bought the Sophia 3 and consider them to be the best bang in the line in terms of price / quality
2/ They will be much easier to integrate and to set up. At the beginning, the Wilsons will be for my secondary system.
And now, you're talking about the Sasha !
Old 01-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Hum....

You guys are killing me with the Sasha !
I'm actually thinking about the Sophia 3 also because :
1/ I read the incredible reviews of Ken Kessler in HFN and Art Dudley in Stereophile : both bought the Sophia 3 and consider them to be the best bang in the line in terms of price / quality
2/ They will be much easier to integrate and to set up. At the beginning, the Wilsons will be for my secondary system.
And now, you're talking about the Sasha !
Sounds like some serious listening sessions are in order!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:43 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Jerome, do not fear the alleged difficulty of setting up Wilsons. They are no more hard to set up than any other speaker, it is just that the reward for a proper setup is so wonderful. You have better ears than me (I am a 58 year old ex-sleep between the speakers rocker) and I got mine setup in about three hours. The last hour was making very small movements and then spiking them.

By the way, if the room is big enough, absolutely go with Sasha.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:01 PM

I wasn't impressed by the Sasha compared to WP8 in the same room; I didn't find them to be that different, and for some points I preferred the WP8; Sasha's are fabulous speakers, if one wants speakers without money concern, that's the speaker to get.

What I say is that older WP8 could be the good deal, Sashas are not yet on the second hand market.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:07 PM

I always said that Wilsons were not "my cup of tea", "not for my ears". I'm happy that I never said bad things against them.
Because I just was wrong and never listened to them properly set up.
They are a dream come true for any music lover.
I 'm still wondering why they seem to have only addicts and haters and not many " in betweens". I never read so many great and horrible things about the same speaker for any other product /company.
I'm now listening to Paricia Barber 's Café Blue on my PMC EB1i. She sounds wonderful and the bass is terrific too, but I just cannot get this "I'm right there" feeling. I love the EB1i. But I also need this terrific "live" sound.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Last edited by Jerome W; 01-29-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:30 PM

Jerome, I have owned 3 pairs of Wilson. Sophia 2, 3 and Sasha. They are all very exciting and yes, even "musical" speakers when paired with the right gear and setup properly. I can also tell you that I have owned at least 3 other brands in between all my Wilson. Wilson universally was much easier to set up in my 3 different rooms.

If the Sophia 2 or 3 is easier on the wallet and to obtain over in France, I highly recommend you give them a serious listen as well. The W/P 7 and 8 were great speakers for many, as I mentioned in another post but the Sasha raises the bar in the "engaging" and "moving" categories with the right gear. It is very important to listen to Wilson with at least a few different gear scenarios. You will quickly understand what the speaker is capable of and why it sounds so different in different places with different gear. Wilson is not Sonus Faber, it does not override the gear!
Old 01-29-2012, 05:31 PM

I will also add this, if budget was a concern for me, I would have kept the Sophia 2's or 3's and have been perfectly happy for a very long time.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:36 PM

Thank you for the informations Serge !
A mint second hand pair of WP8 cost around 15k euros here and a new pair of Sophia 3 costs around 19k euros. Sophia 3 and Sasha are both very difficult to find on the used market.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Thank you for the informations Serge !
A mint second hand pair of WP8 cost around 15k euros here and a new pair of Sophia 3 costs around 19k euros. Sophia 3 and Sasha are both very difficult to find on the used market.

Jerome, since you are buying the WP8 at a much depreciated point, you can enjoy them as long as you want and not have to worry about losing much money when you sell them to upgrade in the future. The WP8 will serve you very well. I will suggest a few things here and there if you get a pair of WP8.