AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Lamm

Lamm Bringing you the magic of music

Old 05-20-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
That was in the old place and the old system.

My system is a bit different now.

MVI 1899 - YouTube
Simply STUNNING!! How would you compare your new amps to the Lamms?
Old 05-20-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
Simply STUNNING!! How would you compare your new amps to the Lamms?
Different. D'Agostino is a state of the art assault on all parameters across the board. Stunning resolution, grip, slam, dynamics, transient speed and yet they sound much more organic than any amp of this inclination has the right to be. Think KRELL but with Lamm naturalness and musicality! D'Agostino amps are simply in another league all together. At $50k a pair, I would not expect any less
!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1

Different. D'Agostino is a state of the art assault on all parameters across the board. Stunning resolution, grip, slam, dynamics, transient speed and yet they sound much more organic than any amp of this inclination has the right to be. Think KRELL but with Lamm naturalness and musicality! D'Agostino amps are simply in another league all together. At $50k a pair, I would not expect any less
!!!
That's beyond major league, and way beyond my recreational spend threshold. You're in a very elite group. Maybe some day I'll get a chance to hear 'em. Well done!!
Old 05-20-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
That's beyond major league, and way beyond my recreational spend threshold. You're in a very elite group. Maybe some day I'll get a chance to hear 'em. Well done!!
It's nuts that we promote these absurd prices by writing checks for this stuff. They will only keep making them more and more expensive.

Seriously though, Lamm is great gear and I was very, very happy with my LL2D and M1.2 combo as well.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1

It's nuts that we promote these absurd prices by writing checks for this stuff. They will only keep making them more and more expensive.

Seriously though, Lamm is great gear and I was very, very happy with my LL2D and M1.2 combo as well.
I hope it's the end of line for me. That's probably just wishful thinking. Nevertheless, I'd like to stay put for awhile. I can only imagine how good ur system sounds. And u have a dedicated custom built room, too. Wow. How come you haven't gone to the transparent reference line?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I hope it's the end of line for me. That's probably just wishful thinking. Nevertheless, I'd like to stay put for awhile. I can only imagine how good ur system sounds. And u have a dedicated custom built room, too. Wow. How come you haven't gone to the transparent reference line?
I've had Transparent REF on loan and have tried their other various products over the years. I needed 2-50ft runs of balanced and 1-50ft run of speaker cables for the center channel not to mention the other balanced cables for the surround amps, surround speakers, etc.. It gets crazy expensive with those lengths and complexity. I've been very happy with the lower level Transparent before and the Ultra level did not let me down.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:12 AM

Didn't you switch to a Shindo system and change your speakers from Wilson to something else to match?

Never realized those D'Agonstino amps were so small. They sound smooth enough in the top end? Knowing the Sashas like I do, thinking of (your?) room in the youtube video which doesn't look very damped, the thought of that Adele song just makes my ears hurt. :-)

Last edited by MadFloyd; 05-21-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: PCH1 was kind enough to respond to me months ago in a PM that I didn't notice. Doh!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
Didn't you switch to a Shindo system and change your speakers from Wilson to something else to match?

Never realized those D'Agonstino amps were so small. They sound smooth enough in the top end? Knowing the Sashas like I do, thinking of (your?) room in the youtube video which doesn't look very damped, the thought of that Adele song just makes my ears hurt. :-)
Shindo with Tannoy was in a different room as a second system. The room where Sasha and Momentum monos is very well acoustically treated. There is a full ASC treatment in that room including iso-wall and iso-ceiling double wall method. Yes, the top end is smooth in my system. I find 99% of folks who complain about their ears hurting just don't do enough in terms of acoustics and proper system and cable matching and that goes for any brand of gear.

If something doesn't sound good in my room, then it really is crap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WilsonTheater2.jpg (88.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg WilsonTheater1.jpg (93.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 05-21-2012, 08:56 AM

Wow, it is a LOT more damped than what came across on the YouTube video. My apologies, I certainly didn't mean to be critical of your room, which has to be one of the *nicest* I've seen - and I'm sure it sounds great.

Coincidentally, I had to move my Sashas out of my dedicated ASC iso-wall/ceiling media room because they sounded very harsh (even with tons of damping). Only had a 7.5 foot ceiling which, other than the iso-treatment, is the only reason anyone could come up with for why it sounded that way. The room is still used for HT (Sophia 2's in place of the Sashas) and my Sashas are upstairs in a larger family room with a higher ceiling and the difference is night and day.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
Wow, it is a LOT more damped than what came across on the YouTube video. My apologies, I certainly didn't mean to be critical of your room, which has to be one of the *nicest* I've seen - and I'm sure it sounds great.

Coincidentally, I had to move my Sashas out of my dedicated ASC iso-wall/ceiling media room because they sounded very harsh (even with tons of damping). Only had a 7.5 foot ceiling which, other than the iso-treatment, is the only reason anyone could come up with for why it sounded that way. The room is still used for HT (Sophia 2's in place of the Sashas) and my Sashas are upstairs in a larger family room with a higher ceiling and the difference is night and day.
No worries... Yes, sometimes certain room dimensions can be very problematic for certain speakers. I did not like my Wilson Sophia 3s in my other room. The larger Tannoy speakers did work just fine though. Usually Wilson speakers are very willing to play nice with various room dimensions.

The iso-wall and ceiling is really to keep the room from singing along and adding it's own sonic signature as well as damping out the bass resonance and the resulting smear of clean playback. I doubt it is very effective on the highs though. I suspect you are right, the very low ceiling height is what did them in.