AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 02-02-2016, 09:14 PM

Default ARC preamp in HT setup

Hi everybody,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a REF5 SE preamp but before doing so, I want to make sure all my setup scenarios are covered so I'm looking for your precious help. I'm currently using a JL Audio subwoofer when listening to 2 channel music via a Classe SSP-800 processor.

When adding the REF5 to this setup, I would use the HT bypass feature of the preamp but like to be able to control the signal to the subwoofer depending on the type of material used. Since the JL Audio supports two types of inputs, I was thinking of connecting its XLR input to one of the outputs of the REF5 for the 2.1 channel scenario and run another single-ended cable from the subwoofer output of the processor in case of 5.1 material (for LFE). In other words, the sub would be driven by the Classe in HT mode and by the ARC when in stereo (i.e. the Classe processor is not in the loop). The problem is that the sub cannot receive two simultaneous signals so I'd like to be able to disable the REF5 output to the sub when in HT mode. My Classe processor allows different configurations to be set depending on the context but I haven't seen a way (in the REF5 manual) to configure what's being sent out via the different outputs of the ARC preamp.

Any ideas how I could do that?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-03-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a REF5 SE preamp but before doing so, I want to make sure all my setup scenarios are covered so I'm looking for your precious help. I'm currently using a JL Audio subwoofer when listening to 2 channel music via a Classe SSP-800 processor.

When adding the REF5 to this setup, I would use the HT bypass feature of the preamp but like to be able to control the signal to the subwoofer depending on the type of material used. Since the JL Audio supports two types of inputs, I was thinking of connecting its XLR input to one of the outputs of the REF5 for the 2.1 channel scenario and run another single-ended cable from the subwoofer output of the processor in case of 5.1 material (for LFE). In other words, the sub would be driven by the Classe in HT mode and by the ARC when in stereo (i.e. the Classe processor is not in the loop). The problem is that the sub cannot receive two simultaneous signals so I'd like to be able to disable the REF5 output to the sub when in HT mode. My Classe processor allows different configurations to be set depending on the context but I haven't seen a way (in the REF5 manual) to configure what's being sent out via the different outputs of the ARC preamp.

Any ideas how I could do that?

Thanks in advance!
Other than manually disconnecting the Ref5 output to the sub...I don't think it will work.

The two pairs of outputs on the Ref 5 pass through the source signal. If I understand you correctly, you would use one pair of the ARC outputs to your main speaker amps and would use the other set to send the signal to the sub (in that setup it probably is best to sum both L and R to the sub with a Y connector). The ARC in passthrough takes the signal from your processor and passes it to the outputs at unity gain....so the ARC would be sending the L/R signal from the processor to both your main speakers and sub. And the processor would be sending the LF signal to the sub as well. If you had a unit like the CP-800, that preamp does have the capability to send a signal to the sub or not. However since I have both units....I not pick the CP800 over the Ref5 for sound quality. its a great unit but not at the same level

Just curious if you feel you absolutely need to have a sub for 2 channel sources. I at one time had the SSP800 as processor and Ref5SE as preamp in the exact configuration you are describing except no sub connection from the ARC....for two channel mode I just used my main speakers (Sasha and now Alexia). in HT mode the subs came in but from the processor.

If sub was really important in both....I would consider connecting it to the ARC and configure the SSP-800 to think it did not have a sub and that the L/R speakers were large meaning no crossover. Then you would get the LF signal passed through L/R channel of ARC during HT play. Downside is you would also get some pretty low signals going to your main speakers. Pros/cons on both....I personally would forego sub in 2 channel mode or just use the SSP in a 2.1 configuration for the material you want a sub with...it can still pass the L/R channel through the ARC but the SSP would control the volume level.....FWIW....the SSP is pretty good as a preamp on music

lots of choices....I typically try to go for simple when this happens
Old 02-05-2016, 12:17 AM

Hi,

thank you very much for the feedback. You confirm I do not have much choices if I want to still use my sub in a stereo scenario. My amp is a REF75 SE and although I really like the detailed bass I'm getting out of it and that my speakers (Monitor Audio Platinum) can go deep in the bass region, I'm used to complement my amp with a sub for a more solid sound foundation.

Another question for you if you don't mind: you mentioned the CP-800 is not in the same league as the REF5 but also said that the SSP-800 is pretty good on music. I never had the chance to own or test a CP-800 at home but always thought it would be better than its brother SSP. Right now I use the SSP in analog bypass mode only (so pretty much just for volume) so I'm wondering if the gap with the ARC is that big compared to what I already have. I know it's tough to quantify but if you could provide me with your impressions I would appreciate.

Thanks again!