AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 09-07-2018, 07:47 PM
thyname thyname is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 12
Default

KX-5 Twenty arrived. My X-5 Twenty trifecta is now complete!
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 09-07-2018, 11:49 PM
GrubTheHedgehog's Avatar
GrubTheHedgehog GrubTheHedgehog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
KX-5 Twenty arrived. My X-5 Twenty trifecta is now complete!


Sweet!🤙

What kind of interconnect are you using to tie it all together?
__________________
Ayre QX-5 Twenty;Ayre AX-5 Twenty; B&W 802D;cabling and conditioning by Transparent.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 09-08-2018, 06:12 AM
thyname thyname is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrubTheHedgehog View Post
Sweet!🤙

What kind of interconnect are you using to tie it all together?
Thanks.

As for Interconnects, I am just using some from Amazon Basics.




Just kidding.... Cardas Clear Reflections XLR
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 09-08-2018, 09:11 AM
GrubTheHedgehog's Avatar
GrubTheHedgehog GrubTheHedgehog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
Thanks.



As for Interconnects, I am just using some from Amazon Basics.









Just kidding.... Cardas Clear Reflections XLR


Haha dude ya almost started a war! 🤣 Good choice!
__________________
Ayre QX-5 Twenty;Ayre AX-5 Twenty; B&W 802D;cabling and conditioning by Transparent.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 09-13-2018, 07:28 PM
Dr.J Dr.J is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12
Default

Iíve been in this hobby for nearly 40 years. I decided to steer away from tubes, with the intent of a hassle free listening experience and settled on a new Bryston 4b3 and an Ayre K5xeMP. At first, I wasnít impressed, but after logging in 200 to 300 hours, the system came alive - a liquid, holographic sound that I was not expecting! And, to add to the experience, I have tinnitus and discovered I could fully enjoy the presentation at low volume, without exacerbating my tinnitus. I can unequivocally say that my Ayre Kx5xeMP is the best preamp Iíve ever owned!

So, what happened? I read this thread, along with a number of reviews of the Kx5-Twenty and thought that if itís so much better, perhaps the last pre youíd ever buy, with the same characteristics of allowing joyful, low volume listening, Iíd give it a shot! So, I bought one!

Buyers remorse? Ok, Although used, it was recently built and I sense it hasnít had a lot of use. The obvious: the sound is more transparent and the frequencies are extended at both ends; however, that liquid, holographic quality isnít there! Please tell me this is a break-in issue and that Iíll regain these qualities in the new pre?

Thanks,

John
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 09-14-2018, 12:35 AM
kentauta kentauta is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.J View Post
Iíve been in this hobby for nearly 40 years. I decided to steer away from tubes, with the intent of a hassle free listening experience and settled on a new Bryston 4b3 and an Ayre K5xeMP. At first, I wasnít impressed, but after logging in 200 to 300 hours, the system came alive - a liquid, holographic sound that I was not expecting! And, to add to the experience, I have tinnitus and discovered I could fully enjoy the presentation at low volume, without exacerbating my tinnitus. I can unequivocally say that my Ayre Kx5xeMP is the best preamp Iíve ever owned!

So, what happened? I read this thread, along with a number of reviews of the Kx5-Twenty and thought that if itís so much better, perhaps the last pre youíd ever buy, with the same characteristics of allowing joyful, low volume listening, Iíd give it a shot! So, I bought one!

Buyers remorse? Ok, Although used, it was recently built and I sense it hasnít had a lot of use. The obvious: the sound is more transparent and the frequencies are extended at both ends; however, that liquid, holographic quality isnít there! Please tell me this is a break-in issue and that Iíll regain these qualities in the new pre?

Thanks,

John
I also have a 4B3 + K-5xeMP and am thinking about upgrading to KX-5 Twenty! Though I cannot speak for KX-5 Twenty, I recently had a similar experience with QB-9 DSD which I bought from Audiogon. The unit had obvious signs of use so I assumed it had been fully broken in by the previous owner. I was not very impressed with its output for the first couple of days although I could find some upsides. I considered selling it, but after a few days of operation it started to "open up", and eventually I started feel there is no going back.. I hope your KX-5 Twenty is also in the middle of break in.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 09-14-2018, 08:57 PM
Dr.J Dr.J is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12
Default

Thank you, Kentauta & I hope so, too! I’ve hooked up my trusty ole Denon tu-800 and am logging hours now in the hope of a transformation.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 09-14-2018, 10:16 PM
GrubTheHedgehog's Avatar
GrubTheHedgehog GrubTheHedgehog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 34
Default

What kind if cable is connecting the two units? How many hours are on the unit?
__________________
Ayre QX-5 Twenty;Ayre AX-5 Twenty; B&W 802D;cabling and conditioning by Transparent.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 09-15-2018, 10:16 AM
Dr.J Dr.J is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 12
Default

Iím using Audio Art, balanced cables, 22í - the same balanced cables Iíve been using for 15 years. The Kx5-Twenty, I purchased it used, but I understand it has had little use on only two inputs (I donít know which); the serial number shows the most recent version. Iíve logged 60 hours on it, so far.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 09-15-2018, 11:02 AM
thyname thyname is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.J View Post
Iím using Audio Art, balanced cables, 22í - the same balanced cables Iíve been using for 15 years. The Kx5-Twenty, I purchased it used, but I understand it has had little use on only two inputs (I donít know which); the serial number shows the most recent version. Iíve logged 60 hours on it, so far.
The KX-5 Twenty is quite different than the K-5xe youíre used to. The diamond output stage and upgraded volume control mechanism bring it in a different league. Yes, you will be lacking the dark, midrange focused midrange that you get with K5xe, but the total resolution, airiness and extension on Kx-5 is unparalleled.

And it needs a lot more break in. Ayre manual says a minimum of 100 hours, with 500 hours optimal
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2018 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Fortress
Fortress
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Audeze
Audeze
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase