AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Dynaudio Speakers

Dynaudio Speakers Authentic Fidelity

Old 09-24-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordemsworth View Post
Yeah - it took months to plant the seed that allowed the Sonus Faber into the home. I hate eating crow. The really cool thing was having my mother-in-law over one night and she said, 'Music is definitely better on a dedicated system.' I was astounded - I didn't think she paid attention to where the music was coming from. I'm going to give the S1.4s a good long (over 300 hours) shot and see what happens. At some level, it pains me to go to a speaker in a lower tier than the Cremona Auditors - though they S1.4s may not be, they are priced that way.
I think the optimal way to do it would be to keep your current speakers, find a used pair if S1.4's, let them break in a few hundred hours in your home then compare the 2. This way you know you are not just getting use to the sound over the course of time. If you loved them after that you could sell those and buy the C1's or a new pair of S1.4's.

Or

Get a dealer to loan you a demo pair with the intent of buying new if they best your SF. Obviously you would have to have for about a month running them all day everyday while you were at work or something to make sure they get the proper time in them.

Last edited by harri009; 09-24-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:10 PM
Learning to Listen

Very interested in what you find after getting your S1.4's. I think that that is a possibility for me, or the 160's. The latter has a new (compared to the 140's) crossover that delivers a much better sound stage. Also, be aware that Dyn might be changing its lineup, according to a dealer that shall remain nameless.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:24 PM

Hmm - I've spoken to a couple of dealers and they are not saying anything.

We know the Excite is changing a second time in what seems like three years.

I'm surprised the Contour hasn't changed in ten years.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Hmm - I've spoken to a couple of dealers and they are not saying anything.

We know the Excite is changing a second time in what seems like three years.

I'm surprised the Contour hasn't changed in ten years.
The money is on Contour...

Old 09-24-2013, 07:36 PM

But the Excites are definitely changing - they've already distributed material to that effect.

Contour - I hope for changes. Maybe they get the Esotars"
Old 09-24-2013, 08:10 PM

I've owned most of the dyn speaker line including the s1.4. The s1.4 is a superb speaker IMO. However it sounds best in a mid to large room with placement clear of walls. If that is not possible, I'd recommend the focus 160 instead which is superb in its own right.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:25 PM

If placement would be clear of walls and both speakers cost the same - do you have a preference?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
If placement would be clear of walls and both speakers cost the same - do you have a preference?
I'd go with the s1.4 but then I like a warm speaker. I suspect more people would pick the focus 160 which I think is just a smidge more true to the source. But the s1.4 is so damn lush and rich and textured. Really like the s1.4.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:08 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Yeah - it took months to plant the seed that allowed the Sonus Faber into the home. I hate eating crow.

The really cool thing was having my mother-in-law over one night and she said, 'Music is definitely better on a dedicated system.'

I was astounded - I didn't think she paid attention to where the music was coming from.

I'm going to give the S1.4s a good long (over 300 hours) shot and see what happens.

At some level, it pains me to go to a speaker in a lower tier than the Cremona Auditors - though they S1.4s may not be, they are priced that way.
Be interesting to see how things pan out. Dyns are typically competitive with speakers costing 3-4X their price class.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:29 PM

Yes - I have read that in multiple places.

The only things that gives me even a momentary pause (I spend way too much time on the web) - The S1.4s haven't seemed to be as warmly received as their predecessors (1.3 SE), or the next monitor model upmarket- the C1.

I know that not every product is universally loved, but observationally, the S1.4 is slightly less loved than other Dynaudio models.