AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 11-12-2020, 06:23 PM

Default Mac stereo amps in mono mode?

Mac Board..... I remember Dan writing about this, years ago, but I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with running their Mac stereo amp(s) in mono mode and what problems, if any, you've experienced while doing so?

In other words, is anyone aware of any cons associated with running a Mac stereo amp in mono mode?

Thanks for your time

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 11-12-2020, 09:01 PM

I have 11 McIntosh amps (4@MC2255, 2@MC2500, 2@2205. and 2@7270, plus an older MC2505.
I have run all but the MC2505 in mono several times with no ill effects that I can tell (other than getting used to the extra headroom from double the power).
The only caution is to pay attention to the manual as to what mode of mono you have the amp swithched to and what ohm terminals you are using.
For example the C2255 can put out 500 watts at 1/2 ohm, 1 ohm, 2 ohms, 4 ohms, 8 ohms, and 16 ohms. But not all output flexibility is available in both mono switch positions.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-12-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcarlson View Post
I have 11 McIntosh amps (4@MC2255, 2@MC2500, 2@2205. and 2@7270, plus an older MC2505.
I have run all but the MC2505 in mono several times with no ill effects that I can tell (other than getting used to the extra headroom from double the power).
The only caution is to pay attention to the manual as to what mode of mono you have the amp swithched to and what ohm terminals you are using.
For example the C2255 can put out 500 watts at 1/2 ohm, 1 ohm, 2 ohms, 4 ohms, 8 ohms, and 16 ohms. But not all output flexibility is available in both mono switch positions.
Thanks,
Jim
1/2 Ohm is nuts. I wonder if there are any modern amps that can do that.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:11 AM
Blown & Injected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Nolag View Post
1/2 Ohm is nuts. I wonder if there are any modern amps that can do that.
MC2300 can do 1/4 Ohm ...
Old 11-13-2020, 01:01 AM

Talking Headroom need!

Quote:

Thanks,
Jim
JDC..... We have one nice Mac stereo amp and we thought we were blessed. Wow, eleven Mac amps -- that's incredible! How many years have you been collecting all of that hand-wound power?

As I already mentioned, we have not tried running anything in mono mode, but, considering that we're seriously looking at all Mac amplifier options, we want to know what our options are...and your point about "headroom" is very well taken.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 11-13-2020, 03:23 AM

No cons here when I had a pair of mc2500's and mc2100's. If anything I think they sounded better in mono; slightly quieter with better channel separation.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:57 AM

It has probably taken me nearly 20 years to accumulate all of that. My problem is, once I get a piece of McIntosh equipment, I cannot bear to part with it.
I first discovered McIntosh in 1964, but it was a long time before I could afford even a used piece.
My first McIntosh was the MC2505. Previously I had Carver equipment. When I first hooked up the MC2505 I thought the treble was gone! I put on some source material with considerable treble, and sure enough it was there!!!! I finally discerned that the Carver was just weak in the lower mid-range, and the McIntosh was filling that in, and my ears were not accustomed to it.
Since then I found a pair of KLH Model Nine electrostatic speakers. Even 50 years old, driven by old McIntosh units there is plenty of treble as well as outstanding clarity and detail!!
I have several other McIntosh units. Let me suggest investing in the MEN220 if you are into stereo (rather than multichannel). I got one for my office system, and liked it sooo much I got a second one for home!! To me the MEN220 is the best audio investment I have made since I began building amps & tuners from kits in the 1960s.
I do not think you can go wrong with McIntosh. Even the MX300 & MX750, which are trashed by some on the forums, have served me well for many years.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-13-2020, 10:59 AM

My apologies -
it should be MS300 and MS750 - not MX
Sorry
Jim
Old 11-14-2020, 01:06 AM

Default Mac Multi-Channel?

Quote:

It has probably taken me nearly 20 years to accumulate all of that. My problem is, once I get a piece of McIntosh equipment, I cannot bear to part with it.
I first discovered McIntosh in 1964, but it was a long time before I could afford even a used piece.
My first McIntosh was the MC2505. Previously I had Carver equipment. When I first hooked up the MC2505 I thought the treble was gone! I put on some source material with considerable treble, and sure enough it was there!!!! I finally discerned that the Carver was just weak in the lower mid-range, and the McIntosh was filling that in, and my ears were not accustomed to it.
Since then I found a pair of KLH Model Nine electrostatic speakers. Even 50 years old, driven by old McIntosh units there is plenty of treble as well as outstanding clarity and detail!!
I have several other McIntosh units. Let me suggest investing in the MEN220 if you are into stereo (rather than multichannel). I got one for my office system, and liked it sooo much I got a second one for home!! To me the MEN220 is the best audio investment I have made since I began building amps & tuners from kits in the 1960s.
I do not think you can go wrong with McIntosh. Even the MX300 & MX750, which are trashed by some on the forums, have served me well for many years.
Thanks,
Jim
Jim..... I appreciate your thorough and thoughtful reply. We were out of the audio world for over a decade, so it seems like I'm learning more and more every day -- especially about Mac. I discovered the brand in the late-70s, but, between spending many years overseas working for Uncle Ron and spending a lot of post-Katrina years in a [quiet] condo environment, we're definitely playing catch up. I mean, all of this digital stuff, for example...sheesh, I don't know if we'll ever get the hang of that!

We presently own an MX151, which supposedly came with everything we'll need to put Room Perfect (RP) to use, but we're still working on our first bona fide A/V room, so we haven't set RP up yet. The point is that we're supposedly all set in regards to the RP correction software/utilities, so the MEN220 would probably be redundant for us.

If it's not too much to ask, would you kindly elaborate on how you have your system set up? With all of those amps in your system, I'm guessing that you have a multi-channel A/V room of your own?

I really appreciate your words ~ Bill

Old 11-14-2020, 10:48 AM

I don't understand why Mac doesn't provide a mono option with the new amps like the 1502. Is it sonics or something else? I think most would enjoy having a mono option.

Charles