AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 02-13-2019, 01:42 AM

Yeah I've noticed they do work in improvements over time without adding a v# or Mk # to the model name. Including that 7-to-8 shields on the Wild Blue Yonder - and you won't be able to visually discern which you have if the old plugs have been upgraded to new. With WEL Signature interconnects you can tell older/newer revisions by the outer braid fabrics used. Either way, even the older versions are excellent; and IMO even the ancient early-2000s Sky is still quite good. But you should expect a slightly better deal on the older versions. Looks like they also just discontinued the Wild Blue IC's in the latest price book, btw.

I ran Mont Blanc a while ago. Later added KE-4 (like a pure PSS silver CV-4) up top for a nice boost in resolution and a very minor decrease in coherence. I compared that biwire setup to a Redwood biwire, the latter of which I felt was about equal in resolution, and a bit more coherent to boot. I didn't hear any hint of the mismatch you noticed with the Oaks (I haven't heard Oaks); the Redwood was simply lovely. I didn't go with Redwood then, because I didn't feel the improvement justified the cost. Later I replaced the KE-4 with a Kilimanjaro (same as a pure PSS silver Mont Blanc), still with Mont Blanc on bass, to a very large increase in resolution and coherence. Though I no longer had the Redwood to compare, I felt the Mont Blanc + Kili was a better cable. Then I replaced the Mont Blanc bass with a 2nd Kili, to yield another nice resolution boost. And that's where I sit now - really no need to go anywhere from here. It's like a prototype WEL Signature, minus the various small improvements they've worked in since then. Kilimanjaros occasionally show up for a good price (under 2K for 6 ft pair), but getting 2 nicely matched pairs can take patience. AQ will shorten and reterm as necessary, and these cables go very nicely with the 1000 spades or bananas - but they can't supply the metal collars anymore (just cosmetic anyways). You can even get a longer pair and split into 2 pairs (e.g. 10' pair to two 5' pairs) - I had AQ do that for me on the KE-4, which started as a 15' single! You can get pretty creative here if you need to save some bucks over the very $$$$ later models. I've watched their prices on PSS per meter/gauge rise almost every year, with some BIG increases too. It's at the point now where the PSS pricing is getting right ludicrous. My 2 pairs of Kilis have a pound of PSS in them, which would probably cost around $30K or more in an AQ cable now.

Last edited by mulveling; 02-13-2019 at 01:46 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:42 AM

I agree about everything that's being said about the cables except about the Wind. I use a Wind to connect my Watch Controller to my D1100. About 5 days ago my final Niagara 5000 arrived along with my Dragon power cord. This to complete my subwoofer system upgrade. At least in my subwoofer system there is nothing thin or lightweight about the Wind IC. Also the Wind received a sterling review in March 2019 TAS p.160. All I can say for what it's worth is that the Wind has faithfully transmitted every nuance of better sensitivity and bass articulation/definition my upgrades have achieved. In the past I have never felt that anything but high quality copper cables and IC's and a high quality power cord plugged into a 20 amp line was all that was needed for a subwoofer system but I was incorrect. Connections and power conditioners/cords make a remarkable difference. One thing for sure, I don't need any more bass and the Redwood most definitely is a lovely cable both in sound and looks.

Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie and Wilson Watch Controller (abbr: WC)
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); Wel Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for BR player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Coffee USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for tuner; cables for DVD player not listed
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from WC to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to WC; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 15 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes enough to turn the room into a virtual anechoic chamber if desired; however, at present my room is significantly reflective giving me a bright, vibrant, dynamic, highly resolving, smooth sound free of harshness and grain and perfect for my taste; zero slap echo; gorgeous midrange
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet Trane split system 2.5-ton heat pump with 4 returns; active electrostatic filter and top-grade digital thermostat
Room (mancave): 40’L x 15.5’W A-frame; max ceiling height 8’ min 5’; wall within wall construction built of 2 x 6’s; built over garage with custom hardwood floor with gym seal with over 40 Lowes stiffened wooden I-beams supporting floor; complete isolation from rest of house

Last edited by Charles; 02-13-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:34 AM

Charles,
I just sold my Audioquest Fire XLRs. I'm looking into Audioquest WBY, WEL, or Wireworld Platinum series 8. Did you go from WBY to WELs? If so, please describe the differences in your system.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
Charles,
I just sold my Audioquest Fire XLRs. I'm looking into Audioquest WBY, WEL, or Wireworld Platinum series 8. Did you go from WBY to WELs? If so, please describe the differences in your system.
I had circa 2012 versions of WBY and WEL XLR's at the same time and it was no comparison in my system. The WEL outperformed the WBY in every parameter I could think of. I was left with the perception that the WBY was average and probably overpriced for the performance I heard. The more recent WEL XLR I own modestly outperforms my old version, as well. It could be the newer connectors on my newer WEL.
I thought WW PE 7 outperformed the WBY. But WEL outperforms every interconnect I've heard up to now. I'm hoping to hear the WW PE 8, as well.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 02-14-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Charles,
Ricjor1, I went from KK copper to Wels, 24' balanced. Most difficult thing I ever did financially regarding high end audio. It was awful. I went with Wel speaker cables and it seemed natural to go with the Wel IC's but the expense still makes my head swim. I have been very pleased with the Wel's. If you can afford it, go with the Wels. Also, RH of TAS is very high on Wel IC's and uses them in his personal system. I wish that I could say go with the WBY's but there is something special about Wel's.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Charles,
Wow, that's some self control! Man, I couldn't sell my good cables until I already had the new ones in hand, haha. What are you looking for beyond the Fire? Did you get to demo the Wild/WEL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ricjor1, I went from KK copper to Wels, 24' balanced. Most difficult thing I ever did financially regarding high end audio. It was awful. I went with Wel speaker cables and it seemed natural to go with the Wel IC's but the expense still makes my head swim. I have been very pleased with the Wel's. If you can afford it, go with the Wels. Also, RH of TAS is very high on Wel IC's and uses them in his personal system. I wish that I could say go with the WBY's but there is something special about Wel's.
Holy cow, 24'?? That is a lot. I imagine the difference above lesser cables should be magnified on such a long run. As for the Wild (v1 in my case), the warmth worked well for my system for a while. Now that the WEL's (latest version in this case) neutrality works great for my system, sure there's no going back. However for a time I was toying with the idea of selling the WELs to use the fund for something else - those impulses are gone now!

Also of note, the differences between Fire/Wild/WEL become much less apparent on my high-end headphone setup (about the best you can get there: Stax 009 + T2 amp). High-end speakers really bring the differences out, especially in spatial information.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:33 AM

After playing three songs with the Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 I know this is the cable for my system. It's a demo 1m XLR that my local dealer told me was already broken-in. It has a very natural sound with better defined bass. I have it going from my preamp to the amplifier. It has a detailed , but relaxed sound , with better separation and a bigger soundstage than the Audioquest Fire or the WW Platinum series 7 that I had prior to the AQ Fire.

Last edited by Ricjor1; 02-15-2019 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
After playing three songs with the Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 I know this is the cable for my system. It's a demo 1m XLR that my local dealer told me was already broken-in. It has a very natural sound with better defined bass. I have it going from my preamp to the amplifier. It has a detailed , but relaxed sound , with better separation and a bigger soundstage than the Audioquest Fire or the WW Platinum series 7 that I had prior to the AQ Fire.
Ricjor1, I think you made a wise choice. Good listening!

"Holy cow, 24'? That is a lot." Yep. I made the most careful measurements you can imagine and then added 1 foot. Both IC's are 24'. You cannot imagine the pain. But now it is over and I am so glad I went with the Wels. While severe if the result is positive, the hurt quickly abates. These were new IC's solid silver balanced Wels. My fully updated system is recently displayed in "Member Forum" under "AA News" section.

Last edited by Charles; 02-15-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:35 AM

Thanks Charles. Cables do sound different, not night and day, but a difference that can be easily discerned. It's about system synergy.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:18 AM

I too am an AQ aficionado for years and I've had my share of CV-8, Mont Blanc, Volcano and now Everest (for loudspeakers), Panther, Cheetah, Sky, Wild Blue Yonder and now WEL (for IC) and NRG-4, NRG-5, NRG-10, NRG-1000, NRG-WEL and now Hurricane HC (for AC) and Coffee and now Diamond (for USB). Mulveling and GBP really nailed it with the sonic character of each cable described. I too think that Cheetah/Niagara and probably Wind might be a little sterile and thin sounding... Sky, Fire, WBY and WEL are amazing for the price! I've bought all my cables from the 2nd hand market and couldn't be happier with that.

P.S. Kilimanjaro and Everest are real treats as far as I'm concerned! The new Hurricanes are amazing as well!
Pre-amp/Digital: exaSound e32 w UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; SOtM tX-USBultra w UpTone LPS1.2; Apple Mac Mini w UpTone DC Conversion Kit & UpTone JS-2 Power Supply; Squeezelite w Logitech Media Server 7.9.0
Speakers: Triangle Magellan Cello II
Cables: AudioQuest WEL XLR, AudioQuest Everest, AudioQuest Hurricane HC, AudioQuest NRG-1000, AudioQuest Diamond USB
Rack: Solid Tech Hybrid
Tweaks: Omicron Stabilizzatore Armonico & Gold Evolution SE; IsoTek Sigmas GII w Optimum EVO3; Furutech FT-SWS (R) AC Outlet; Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Last edited by johndoe21ro; 06-04-2019 at 03:52 AM.