AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 03-22-2019, 03:16 PM

Got in the Thunderbird Zeros yesterday, initial reaction is that these have amazing clarity and crispness for copper cables compared to the Oaks. The resolution is a night and day difference. These are brand new out of the box, without breaking them in. Bass is less than Oaks, but I felt the Oaks were a bit bass heavy. Will see how this improves over time. Also, I do need to rerun the ML ARC calibration since I moved the speakers closer together and tad further from the wall.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:46 PM

I had Thunderbird Zeros over the weekend. They were demoes that had over 100 hours on them. I'll just say cables are system dependent and I returned them. Anyone considering the Thunderbirds should listen to Wireworld Silver Eclipse series 8, Audience Au24, Shunyata Alpha, Shunyata Sigma, or Clarus Crimson speakers cables.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:01 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
I had Thunderbird Zeros over the weekend. They were demoes that had over 100 hours on them. I'll just say cables are system dependent and I returned them. Anyone considering the Thunderbirds should listen to Wireworld Silver Eclipse series 8, Audience Au24, Shunyata Alpha, Shunyata Sigma, or Clarus Crimson speakers cables.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
Did you get to demo them against the Oaks in your system?
If so, what did you hear?
Ok, so spent the weekend with the Thunderbird Zeros. At first I was thinking it was lacking bass, but it was user error with the amp config balance/unbalanced source select. I only have 40 or so hours on it, but so far I like what I am hearing. They are paired with ML 11As, MC452, Marantz 8805 pre/pro, and a Meridan 218. Using Fire and Earth interconnects.

Compared to the Oak, the Thunderbrds are clearer and feels like the music is seamlessly delivered (if that makes sense). Instruments and vocals are crisper and bass is more defined. That being said, the sound is closer to silver than copper in the sense of neutrality and transparency. They are more unforgiving, very true to source with much less wiggle room. Then again, I am running these with the ML 11As, with other speakers that may be different.

In terms of soundstage and depth will wait for some more hours on the cables beforing making that assessment. The Oaks had some great depth.

Quote:
Definitely system dependent, it’s amazing how one pair of cables in one system sounds great and in another average at best. You also heard the Firebirds which is hard to unhear, I imagine that would be another level compared to the Thundebirds. Clarus seems to be a huge value, hope to try them out at some point.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:30 AM

"You also heard the Firebirds which is hard to unhear, I imagine that would be another level compared to the Thunderbirds." My conclusions have absolutely nothing to do with hearing the Firebirds. My conclusion is based on actually listening to the Thunderbirds in my system compared to other speaker cables that I've heard in my system. The dealer said, that the Thunderbirds sound better with the bass cable. Imagine that, I need to spend another $4K just to get the Thunderbirds to sound good. In my opinion that's laughable.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
"You also heard the Firebirds which is hard to unhear, I imagine that would be another level compared to the Thunderbirds." My conclusions have absolutely nothing to do with hearing the Firebirds. My conclusion is based on actually listening to the Thunderbirds in my system compared to other speaker cables that I've heard in my system. The dealer said, that the Thunderbirds sound better with the bass cable. Imagine that, I need to spend another $4K just to get the Thunderbirds to sound good. In my opinion that's laughable.
Sorry didn't mean to imply Firebirds were the cause for you disliking the Thunderbird. It's pretty simple, you listened and it didn't work, which is the only way to do it.

I do agree that their price hike is hard to justify especially if you are happy with what you have. However, I don't call it laughable since this is a synergy and preference thing. In my system the Thunderbirds Zeros perform well (so far) without the bass cable. The dealer recommended Zero + Bass which comes at a certain price point. It similar to a someone recommending the Wild cables and you try the Oaks. Pretty awesome that the Clarus Crimsons can best the Thunderbirds though. If you need spend more than double to come close in you system, then really why bother.

I spoke to the AQ guys a few times about these cables. They were comparing the Thunderbirds (zero + bass) to the Wilds and WELs. IF that's true, then the Thunderbird combo comes at a lower price point. I haven't heard the comparison so can't comment on it. This is all in the AQ world that is, not comparing to other brands which may have bigger bang for the buck. With their new pricing strategy it's hard to believe there aren't other brands of cables which can come close to, if not beat, at way lower price points.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eziggy View Post
Sorry didn't mean to imply Firebirds were the cause for you disliking the Thunderbird. It's pretty simple, you listened and it didn't work, which is the only way to do it.

I do agree that their price hike is hard to justify especially if you are happy with what you have. However, I don't call it laughable since this is a synergy and preference thing. In my system the Thunderbirds Zeros perform well (so far) without the bass cable. The dealer recommended Zero + Bass which comes at a certain price point. It similar to a someone recommending the Wild cables and you try the Oaks. Pretty awesome that the Clarus Crimsons can best the Thunderbirds though. If you need spend more than double to come close in you system, then really why bother.

I spoke to the AQ guys a few times about these cables. They were comparing the Thunderbirds (zero + bass) to the Wilds and WELs. IF that's true, then the Thunderbird combo comes at a lower price point. I haven't heard the comparison so can't comment on it. This is all in the AQ world that is, not comparing to other brands which may have bigger bang for the buck. With their new pricing strategy it's hard to believe there aren't other brands of cables which can come close to, if not beat, at way lower price points.
Several points: I believe the new full range AQ cables are of a significantly smaller gauge than the comparable older cables. For example the Redwood that I chose for my subwoofer system is 9 whereas the comparable newer Firebird Bass is I believe 10.5. Based on the bass I have in my system both its power and definition/resolution/sensitivity no way I would want to change to a Firebird Bass for my Thor. I would not remotely consider "upgrading" to a full range 10.5 Dragon from my 9 Wels for my main speakers. I have zero interest in speakers that allow for the signal to be split externally. AQ seems to be wanting new customers to strongly consider this route in their new speaker purchase by the very fact they are making full range and bass cables. I like the heavier full range single cable and would want a 9 gauge full range Dragon for my Wilson Alexx. When you buy a speaker that can be bi/tri amped the manufacturer is implicitly making the statement that the best sound comes this way, and then you are sucked into buying multiple cables/amps etc. I respectfully refuse. I pity the poor novice that enters in to the high end these days which has become a morass of stupidity and endless expense/complexity.

Last edited by Charles; 03-31-2019 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:29 PM

Charles,

I agree with so much of what you say. I think your comments of "endless expense" really hits the head on the nail. I've spent a fair amount of money on this hobby, but I do have limits on what I'm willing to spend on a component. The every escalating cost really makes me ask the question, do I really need to upgrade anymore?
Old 03-31-2019, 10:33 PM

The current capacity of a cable will depend on both the gauge and the material. I believe a smaller silver cable will be equivalent to larger copper wire.