AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 12-05-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
There is a lot of confusion out there regarding REL subs and how they’re hooked up, I’ve seen numerous threads on other sites as well. I can confirm being a long time MC 402 owner that you can indeed use the REL neutrik connections like stated above. My problem was output......there just wasn’t hardly any volume this way so I had to use the line level connections. Try both and see what your results are.....I’m curious to see if you have the same issue I did.

- Buck
That is my worry, I want to use the stupid neutrik thingy!

Lake house: Beomaster 5500, Beogram 5500 CD, Beocord 5500 and U-Turn Orbit Plus TT. Wharfedale 225 speakers
Old 12-05-2018, 09:20 PM

Mr. Hinton and Mr. Cornelius know of what they speak. If connecting the REL black wire to chassis gnd does not work, (which it often does not) then use the low level connection. It always works.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 12-05-2018, 11:53 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Mr. Hinton and Mr. Cornelius know of what they speak. If connecting the REL black wire to chassis gnd. does not work, (which it often does not) then use the low level connection. It always works.
I completely agree it is wise to contact Mac. I would also think it wise to contact REL/Sumiko about connection issues. I have owned several REL subs and had issues with connecting several balanced amps. The trick is to find the correct signal gnd. for the amp in question. The options I have discussed in this thread for the most part have come from REL/Sumiko. It bothers me these issues are not discussed in greater detail in their manuals. I would recommend talking to their technical support staff, not sales personnel.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:01 PM

Ok, I got the REL T9 today - came with Neutrik cable - I don't know why this was ever even an issue. Plugged the yellow and red cables into the 8ohm taps on the back of the 402 and the black wire I attached to a chassis screw - no problem! plenty o' bass!!!!!!! wow...

Lake house: Beomaster 5500, Beogram 5500 CD, Beocord 5500 and U-Turn Orbit Plus TT. Wharfedale 225 speakers
Old 12-07-2018, 06:20 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuyDLF View Post
Ok, I got the REL T9 today - came with Neutrik cable - I don't know why this was ever even an issue. Plugged the yellow and red cables into the 8ohm taps on the back of the 402 and the black wire I attached to a chassis screw - no problem! plenty o' bass!!!!!!! wow...
Interesting......who knows what the heck was going on with my setup.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 12-08-2018, 09:50 AM

Buck I don't know what to tell you. The only difference I can think of, which i know can't be the issue, is that my neutrik was shipped with bare wire ends, no spades. And I didn't want to mess with resplicing the wire and it was too short to really get into the locking screws on the back of the 402 - when I put it in there and then screwed it down, it would take the wire with it and spin it around and around, shortening it so it would reach between the two 8ohm posts. So I just put it in the same hole the banana plugs go into and shoved the banana plug in over it, so to speak. worked fine. Are you using the 8ohm taps? REL told me to use the 8ohms and my speakers are 8ohm anyway, so it definitely works and pumps out a lot of bass. and the black wire just gets screwed into a chassis screw for grounding, it doesn't float free

Old 12-08-2018, 09:51 AM

REL Support (REL Acoustics)
Dec 5, 4:39 PM PST

Hello David,

We're here to help, and it's always a good idea to make sure you're using the proper connection method for your system. McIntosh amps are often a special case when connecting high level. If your MC402 is a McIntosh quad balanced amplifier, you will connect the RED and YELLOW wires to the positive 8 ohm taps and the BLACK will connect to a chassis ground thumbscrew. I've attached our service bulletin which has a diagram guide for this connection.
Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions.
Best Regards,
Rachel Paik
REL Customer Service
https://relsupport.zendesk.com/attac...onnections.pdf

Old 12-08-2018, 10:53 AM

Mc452 and REL B1 - blk wire connected to chassis screw and red/yellow to 8 ohm taps
Old 12-08-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuyDLF View Post
REL Support (REL Acoustics)
Dec 5, 4:39 PM PST

Hello David,

We're here to help, and it's always a good idea to make sure you're using the proper connection method for your system. McIntosh amps are often a special case when connecting high level. If your MC402 is a McIntosh quad balanced amplifier, you will connect the RED and YELLOW wires to the positive 8 ohm taps and the BLACK will connect to a chassis ground thumbscrew. I've attached our service bulletin which has a diagram guide for this connection.
Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions.
Best Regards,
Rachel Paik
REL Customer Service
https://relsupport.zendesk.com/attac...onnections.pdf
Thanks McGuyDLF for following through with all the documentation connecting certain McIntosh amps. This should help lots of people including myself should I choose REL again.

I only wish they said Made in England.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 12-08-2018, 10:52 PM

no problem! anything I can do to help. loving the sub!