AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 10-13-2012, 12:09 PM

Congratulations, your system set-up looks great.

Your collection of components should make everything sound fantastic.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:14 PM
The Eagles are back.

Mike
Beautiful room, beautiful amps and beautiful speakers May you enjoy for many years to come
Old 10-13-2012, 01:48 PM

Mike...a big congrats on the Strads. Enjoy them in good health.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:14 PM

Congrats Mike, I am envious with the "guy with new gear syndrome". Hope you have a huge time with them.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:34 PM

Thanks Gary, Kev, Bob, cmalak, etc. I still cannot believe how they sound with the 2301's. Pure magic. I know that some proper pure copper speaker cables can only make things better. The silver speaker cables were certainly not to my liking (in my room anyway). The pure copper is MUCH better.

I've been listening to some older Diana Krall and everything sounds fresh and new. I will say this, they honestly can make even bad recordings sound good. For example, I never felt the Adele 21 CD was particularly well recorded....average to poor at best. But played through the Strads, it sounds above average.

What I still cannot figure out is how the MEN220 has no effect on the sound. In or out, I hear no difference. If anything, it sounds 5-10% worse with it in! I ran through the MEN220 setup - TWICE. I switched back and forth for hours over 2 days - nothing. A week ago, I would have told you the MEN220 was the best audio investment I've ever made (and some think it is worth of Product of the Year) and I can tell you it took my Salon 2's to a whole new level. In my room, without it, they were a 5/10. With it, they were a 10/10. But....

Today, I have it packed up ready to ship out on Monday - its been sold (yes, already).

Mike

Last edited by mbovaird; 10-13-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
I've been listening to some older Diana Krall and everything sounds fresh and new. I will say this, they honestly can make even bad recordings sound good. For example, I never felt the Adele 21 CD was particularly well recorded....average to poor at best. But played through the Strads, it sounds above average.

Mike
I have found a similiar trait of the MC2301's themselves; what you believed to be a good recording with a prior amplifier; does not sound not as good with the MC2301's.

Of course proper speaker synergy is is critical as you have now discovered.

Best

Bob

P.S. Let me get to the other side of the fence quickly before the Sf police come after me.
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 10-13-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 PM

I've moved them back quite a bit and in a bit. I've spent hours shifting them around to find the right spot. I've found it! The sweet spot has gotten huge and rich sounding, without loosing any depth of stage.

The Eclipse 6 are incredible cables for the Strads IMO. I hate to admit it, but cables DO make a difference. In my case, the Silver Eclipse 6 were not too my liking (far far too bright). The regular copper Eclipse 6 are glorious....and in my opinion, bring about all the good aspects of the WW Silver Eclipse 6, without any of the negatives. I'm not a fan of silver anything in my system.

All in all, I love listening at moderate to loud levels with 3 watts. What a treat!! These speakers are incredible to look at and listen to. If you're in the market at this level, grab the ones for sale here on AA. You will never look back.

Pair these beauties with a couple of tube amps, and you'll find music nirvana.

Mike

Last edited by mbovaird; 10-18-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
Thanks Gary, Kev, Bob, cmalak, etc. I still cannot believe how they sound with the 2301's. Pure magic. I know that some proper pure copper speaker cables can only make things better. The silver speaker cables were certainly not to my liking (in my room anyway). The pure copper is MUCH better.

What I still cannot figure out is how the MEN220 has no effect on the sound. In or out, I hear no difference. If anything, it sounds 5-10% worse with it in! I ran through the MEN220 setup - TWICE. I switched back and forth for hours over 2 days - nothing. A week ago, I would have told you the MEN220 was the best audio investment I've ever made (and some think it is worth of Product of the Year) and I can tell you it took my Salon 2's to a whole new level. In my room, without it, they were a 5/10. With it, they were a 10/10. But....

Today, I have it packed up ready to ship out on Monday - its been sold (yes, already).

Mike

Mike,

I have been so busy at work and I missed that you bought the Strads!!!! Congrats They are sweet speakers..........

I am surprised that you hear no difference with the MEN220 but with your room you may not need it.....
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 10-18-2012, 09:07 PM

Only one word to it: WoW!! Congratulations!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfray View Post
Mike,

I have been so busy at work and I missed that you bought the Strads!!!! Congrats They are sweet speakers..........

I am surprised that you hear no difference with the MEN220 but with your room you may not need it.....
Josh - thank you. It drove me crazy that the MEN220 had no impact. I ran through the setup three times and nothing. Zippo. Nothing. I checked all the connections. I checked that it wasn't on bypass mode. Everything. Nothing.

The MEN220 worked absolute wonders on my Revel Salon 2's. It took them to a whole new level. I was swearing by the MEN220 a week before my Strads arrived.

Why do I think it had no impact? My guess - and this is just a guess - is that the crossover points on the Strads are unique. If you read M. Fremmers review of the Strads, he discusses these crossover points. I believe that the filters in the MEN220 were geared more towards "common/traditional" crossover points. But again, this is just a guess...I knew it did nothing, so I sold it.

If you've noticed, other SF owners have mentioned similar experiences for them. Maybe the MEN220 works wonders on 95% of the speakers out there....but there are some where it's filters just have no affect. Who knows?

Mike