AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 05-02-2013, 04:47 PM

I just went from Pythons to Anacondas on my power strip and amps. The Pythons sounded better. Someone just reassure me that it's a function of break-in! I also have to turn the volume up to get the same sound levels I had previously. HELP!!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:01 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthouse-D View Post
I just went from Pythons to Anacondas on my power strip and amps. The Pythons sounded better. Someone just reassure me that it's a function of break-in! I also have to turn the volume up to get the same sound levels I had previously. HELP!!
I would bet a large sum of money that it is break-in. I had different brand new PC's that took a while to break-in. I was worried the whole time, but now they sound great!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I have all Anacondas in my system (6). You have to give them 300 hours to break in. At least give them a week before you make a decision. They are the best and I've been through a lot of power cables. The Python will not sound better. If it does then there's something else wrong.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank750 View Post
I have all Anacondas in my system (6). You have to give them 300 hours to break in. At least give them a week before you make a decision. They are the best and I've been through a lot of power cables. The Python will not sound better. If it does then there's something else wrong.
I completely agree. I own both the Pythons and the Anacondas and the Ancondas are simply unequalled on amplifiers.

However, Penthouse-D, you use the words "power strip" and that gives me pause. What are you using?
Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 PM

I have a Furutech E-tp609. One of the best power strips available. I was using it with the Pythions also.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
I have a Furutech E-tp609. One of the best power strips available. I was using it with the Pythions also.
If you're happy with the Furutech, then I suspect the issue you're experiencing is one of burn-in. I was annoyed with my Anacondas until they'd gone well past 300 hours (but you won't have to wait that long if you follow the burn-in protocols mentioned throughout the Shunyata forums here on Aficianado).

If you're interested in optimizing your set-up, I'd suggest contacting Grant at Shunyata and telling him about what you're doing and what your goals are.

One thing he suggested for me that has turned out to be some of the best audio advice I've ever gotten, was to install a whole-house surge protector and run my high current amp directly into the wall. That advice enabled me to sell my Guardian and extra Anaconda CX cord (lots of money there) and actually IMPROVE my system's sound by leaps and bounds in the process. Get this: My house surge protector only cost $295 installed!

Now, I'm sure a new Shunyata Cyclops conditioner and another Zitron Anaconda to hook it up would be better, but that's $5000 I just don't have. You gotta love a company that is run by people whose advice is designed to help customers and not just SELL gear.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:42 AM

I hope that's the case I m comparing apples to apples. I was using the Furutech with the Pythons. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:59 AM

Jim,

Don't worry, as good as those Z Pythons are the Z Anacondas are just better still.

It's taken a while but I've slowly managed to get up the budget to get in a couple of Z Anacondas and now also a couple of Z Pythons in as well.

Game changing always sounds a bit OTT but the Z Anacondas really do deserve the tag.

Hope they work out great for you as well.

Graham
Old 05-03-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
To me, I hear the benefits of the Anaconda straight away. Sure, the bass gets a bit deeper and the highs open up a bit more with burn in. But I have never had a new Anaconda (I have 4) sound worse than a run in Python (I have 4 of those as well).

Some equipment I have does not sound better with the Anaconda than the Python - seems to be a function of current draw.

But where there is a difference, it is always a deeper sound stage, better low bass definition, and heightened dynamic contrasts - in favour of the Anaconda.

So for you to say you need to turn the volume up suggests to me something is wrong

Maybe check the phase on each cable to make sure they didn't make a mistake wiring it up (I've had this happen before, not with Zitrons though).

Try replacing each of the Anaconda one at a time to make sure one isn't causing a problem.

I'm not sure whether the Anacondas use the same shielding arrangement as the Pythons. Certainly in the case of the signal cables they are different - the Anaconda does not have the secondary shield. Not sure about the power cables. But the Spectral amps have a reputation for being very sensitive to cables. I would ask Shunyata about this.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:36 PM

A quick update on my Python to Anaconda switch. A week into the ball game, The Pythons sounded MUCH better. The only thing that changed was the 3 Pythons. One into the Furutech and one each into the Spectral monoblocks. UGGH