AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 02-27-2014, 10:18 PM

Default New here with a few Shindo questions.......

Been out of audio for a while. Have a vintage McIntosh and Conrad Johnson system that I've had for twenty years.

Shindo stuff must be pretty good for a few reasons.

NO advertising

NO remote

NO home theatre pre-amps, etc

Seems to be going against the grain of the modern world.

Do you guys attribute the great sound (I'm still trying to get to a dealer) to the fact that it's hand wired and that most modern electronics are designed to a price point, and not for the best sound.

I've found more than a few articles by designers that state that the old stuff sounds great due to the point to point wiring.

Mike Sanders of Quicksilver

Dennis Had of Cary

To name a few.

Cheers, Chris

PS Seems like the internet it distilling the BS of the marketing world and stuff like Shindo and vintage gear are catching fire.....
Old 02-27-2014, 11:39 PM

Point to point is good. I think that the thought behind the circuit and part selection is where the magic lies.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:34 AM

I read somewhere that Mike Sanders says circuit boards all sound "Flat".

Dennis Had says somewhere that he doesn't care to discuss it, he knows what he knows..................

I think this is why older stuff sounds so good.

Someone also made the point, I think, of why spend thousands on wires, just to connect to a five dollar board...................
Old 02-28-2014, 05:06 AM

I think that the magic lies in a combination of factors and point to point wiring is just one of them.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:50 AM

It must play a role (along with NOS tubes, the circuits, the quality components, etc etc), but the real magic of Shindo lies in the founder's ear and intellect (along with the patience and perseverance to pull it off). He meticulously tuned each design (if not each piece) before calling it done. Hopefully he shared enough of that magic with the team that's tasked with carrying on his legacy. If not, he still left enough wonderful pieces in his wake to enjoy for generations to come.

I’m sure this does sound a little like marketing itself, but I wouldn’t take my word for it (as you suggested), hunt down a dealer and have a listen. The low power/high sensitivity route isn’t for everyone, but if it's for you, I doubt Shindo will disappoint.

Last edited by Old Grey; 02-28-2014 at 09:52 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot (and a lousy typist)
Old 02-28-2014, 09:55 AM

Oh yeah CRJ Capt -welcome to the forum. If interpret your username correctly, I'm sure you won't have an issue travelling to a dealer!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:56 AM

Old Grey: I'm not disagreeing with you, but if the magic really does lie in the ear and intellect of the founder, what will happen to Shindo now that he has passed? Wonder whether Shindo-san's knowledge has been passed down to others in the company?
Old 02-28-2014, 10:19 AM

Yep. Hopefully they've been working on for a long time and they do have talent that can carry the torch.

I think in the short term they'll be ok -I'm sure service on existing designs won't be an issue and many Shindo fans will likely want to continue down the upgrade route on existing models. The big question will be whether they can create new products to keep the company going -I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:22 AM

I agree. I doubt there's an issue with service or continuing production of existing designs. The question is whether or not new product development will continue on.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:47 AM

Thinking about this a bit (and just to play devil's advocate) -certainly few companies have survived without new products, but this is a fairly unique situation. Many of their existing products have been made for years and they don't really lose relevance since new technologies won't replace them (at least not any more so than they have already). They have a well-developed product line customers can continually upgrade to. I also imagine they're in pretty good financial shape (low CAPEX, low inventory cost, etc.). So maybe it's more of a question of the size of the business (and whether someone is interested in keeping it going), than how robust their NPI line is. Just a thought.

Last edited by Old Grey; 02-28-2014 at 11:49 AM. Reason: still an idiot