AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 01-09-2010, 03:09 PM

Default Running Springs Audio

Hey guys, guess its a little late to ask now but does anyone have any experience with Running Springs Audio conditioners or there HZ top of the line power cable? I now have a Haley prototype on my front end. I'm waiting on a Dmitri to replace it and two Dukes to run my amps.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:13 AM

My dukes arrived today but I will wait to put them on amps till the Dmitri arrives and racks break in. I am anxious to get back to good conditioning as now I really don't have it as I just have a cheap prototype on my front end and nothing on my amps. Going to RSA top of the line for front end and what was there top of the line for hi power amps on the amps. They have a new upgrade called the Maxim for amps but I will start with Dukes. Also have there top line power cord which I will test versus the Shunyata as soon as I get everything.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:35 AM

Hey beerdraft,

I used the RSA Duke and Danielle with their Cardas Golden Reference pc. Great products and my system liked them. The big 402 didn't mind being plugged into the Duke but when doing so the system had more of a soft sound. I later plugged directly into the wall. The sources and preamp liked the lower noise floor. For the $$ they are great. I had the older design with the metal fronts. I kept the RSA's for some time but later sold them fir a Sound Applications RLS-1 designed by Jim Weil. The Sound App has made the most difference in my system but it's expensive. Try the RSA's for awhile and plug your big amps into the Duke and listen, they may like it depending on how good your ac is. Your sources will probably benefit the most but that's just me since I've not heard your system. If you don't like them, sell 'em and get the Sound Applications.

Does the RSA use a 20 amp cord? I couldn't remember. The Sound Applications has one and the power cord of choice is the new Elrod Statement made by David Elrod. However, the Kimber PK 10 Palladian works just fine at a lower cost.

Dave

Last edited by f1 fan; 01-17-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:36 PM

Great info, I had the MC 2301's on Shunyata pro gardians 2 and later opted for directly to the wall and liked it better. I had a Vray on the front end. I am curious to see if the dukes will be liked better than direct to wall. I wanted the Maxim which is there newer upgrade to the duke and it's like double the money. These as well as the Dmitri are 20 amp cords but some of there others are 15 amp cords. I also will have the HZ cord they make which I will compare to my Shunyata Python Helix, will have one for the Dmitri and 2 15 amp to try to components as well. I'm not familiar at all with that conditioner you mentioned but I will try to read up on it for sure.
Thanks,
Old 01-17-2010, 04:49 PM

beerdraft,

The Sound Applications website needs to be upgraded but still good info and reviews. You can also look on Audiogon and search the archives or sale items. Sometimes they come up for sale there. My Sound Apps dealer has the HRS stands and shelves, VSA 9,
Playback designs, DartZeel, Elrod, MIT, systems. It sounds amazing. I think you'll like the RSA and their new pc's but you've got a system with racks and sources etc that would benefit from the Sound Apps. However, the RSA might be all you need. I forgot to add the new Sound Apps list for $12,000! that's not counting the Elrod power cord which Jim recommends start at $5,000!. Mine lists for $7,000 with the Kimber Palladian at $1340 but like most I didn't pay those prices plus I traded the RSA's for them. Hope this bit of info helps and let me know if you want to try the Sound Apps and Elrods.

Dave
Old 01-23-2010, 09:28 PM

I just added in the Dukes on the amps. I don't yet have the Dmitri to add. I don't expect a lot as I'm just not sure there is a lot else that can be done to make it sound better. If the Dukes don't interfere with the dynamics and can some how make the stage quite even more than it already is, not sure if this is possible. I don't think the stage will improve but if it gets more quite some how then thats a plus. If they don't mess with dynamics from the wall then they stay. I'm going to let play for a couple of hours then assess the sound tonight or in the morning. These are used, although cords are new, not sure if Shunyata python helix need break in.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:17 PM

Well, I was in agreement with my self that the addition of the conditioners did nothing for the sound, which was good... Did nothing for the stage, which was good... Did seem to improve dynamics, don't understand how... Quitened the stage so I hear more of the start and stop of the instruments. Important to note that the racks improved this same point but to more of a degree. The conditioners seemed to quite everything so that it was even more relevant while the racks put the audible part of that there to begin with. Its hard to explain but the conditioner did do some good but for the most part it just did its thing and got out of the way, which personally is what I thought I needed from it to begin with. I'm not sure if any other conditioners just do there job and get out of the way but would be more than happy to try some to find out. I know this running springs duke did that. And yes the sound did go through a slight phase for about 45 minutes where I lost some bass response but it quickly came back. I think this come from actually improved dynamics somehow with the conditioners on the amps. Loving it right now. also pleasantly surprised.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:11 PM

Got the Dmitri in today as well as some of the RSA HZ power cords to test. My first thought was, wow, heavy on the box. Then I opened and the HZ cord is huge. I just put the Dmitri in for now with Shunyata cords so I can see what that does for now.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 PM

First though on listening was, no change in tone which is GREAT! I was so afraid that these conditioners would change my tone but they've got out of the way all together on that. I plan to do extensive listening tonight but right off I like it already.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 AM

Ok, got a custom to the sound so I put the running springs HZ cord in the cdp and took what is my worst cord out. I have all python helix accept in the cdp which was one notch below the python can't think of the name. Anyway due to lengths and everything else I have takes two identical cords the cdp got the odd ball which is total backwards I know as they say get the source the best power cord. Going to let it warm up for a bit first but I noticed an immediate difference in the presence of the bass it seems. Will check it out again after an hour or so.

This cord is very heavy and the connection to the cdp right away seems to be very tight. I always felt the connection on the shunyata cord to components seems a bit lose. Don't know why but this one is snug as a rug.