AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 01-17-2010, 08:52 PM

Beerdraft......If you have your deicated lines on different phases and let's say one phase reads 119 volts and the other phase reads 122 volts then you would have a 3 volt potential and when all connected most likely you will encounter ground loops because eveything is tied together with your IC.......When you detirmine what phase you want your dedicated circuits on make sure you check the electrical panel as not to load up one phase and maybe move some of the noisy circuits to the opposite phase. Another thing to consider is not to allow your digital gear share the same dedicated line with your analog gear. One last thing is run 10 gauge wire as opposed to 12 gauge no matter how short the runs are as it really makes a significant difference IMO...... Happy Listening
Old 01-17-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
Beerdraft......If you have your deicated lines on different phases and let's say one phase reads 119 volts and the other phase reads 122 volts then you would have a 3 volt potential and when all connected most likely you will encounter ground loops because eveything is tied together with your IC.......When you detirmine what phase you want your dedicated circuits on make sure you check the electrical panel as not to load up one phase and maybe move some of the noisy circuits to the opposite phase. Another thing to consider is not to allow your digital gear share the same dedicated line with your analog gear. One last thing is run 10 gauge wire as opposed to 12 gauge no matter how short the runs are as it really makes a significant difference IMO...... Happy Listening
What is considered a noisy circuit you might move to the other phase. Thanks this is great info.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdraft View Post
What is considered a noisy circuit you might move to the other phase. Thanks this is great info.
Look for flourescent lights, frig, freezer, microwaves, dishwashers, etc.....don't worry about 220 volt stuff but make sure you somewhat balance out the current draw on each phase though.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 PM

Wow that is a lot of stuff. Thanks I will try to get this info to the guy coming out in the morning to see what would be involved in moving some things around.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:10 PM

Would florescent lights include those energy saving bulbs like you can replace a regular 60 watt bulb with. So its now like a florescent light with a balaster but I do believe they are some type of florescent.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdraft View Post
Would florescent lights include those energy saving bulbs like you can replace a regular 60 watt bulb with. So its now like a florescent light with a balaster but I do believe they are some type of florescent.
Yes, get rid of them they dump alot of nasties onto the line.......
Old 01-18-2010, 05:57 AM

Oops about a year or maybe more ago I changed every light in the house to those things. I still have the old lights so will change the ones in the listening room back.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:12 PM

Put all on the same phase and tried A and B phase and still the same hum in the right speaker mostly heard in mid driver. They are saying they can run a diagnostic with a computer hooked up and it test every circuit to find out where the harmonics and or noise is coming from and checks all grounds as well. They are talking about some kind of harmonic filter that can be applied. I think I should move forward with this and figure out what the problem is,
Old 01-18-2010, 01:58 PM

beerdraft,

Let Mr. Spark run the test with his computers. I've had this done and it pays off. Get your $$'s worth from these guys. It'll make a difference.

Dave
Old 01-18-2010, 02:15 PM

Thanks that is encouraging. That said I did a test at the recommendation of BAT and the hum seemingly went away. I plugged all pre and amps into the one outlet using a power strip and powered on and the hum was gone 95% or lets say what was already very lite and hard to hear with your ear up to the speaker is now nearly inaudiable. So I'm replacing a panel, (not the one the circuits ran off of). It was heating up and causing a burn problem due to shotty install most likely when we bought the home a few years ago. Its a good thing I had these guys here, this was a serious fire hazard. Any who, they are going to install a upgraded panel and breaker system which is commercial grade as they say I have cheap panels. We are then going to run out of the new upgraded panel a 6 guage wire down and put a sub panel in for just the stereo system. My runs now are like 110 feet with 10 guage wire. Once the sub panel is in it not only will be on a better panel and bus system but the runs then will be only 20 feet or so. He is going to run the test only on the sub panel to see what is going on once done. He also said a lot of my noisey stuff just from looking at what is in each panel is in the panel with my stereo outlets in it. I hope it works. they are working on it now.