AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Infinity Speakers

Infinity Speakers Pursuit of Perfect Sound

Old 07-22-2015, 10:46 PM

Default Genesis Advanced Technologies Launches Latest Genesis 2.3

We don't have s dedicated Genesis forum, so I placed the latest news here in the Infinity Forum.

Genesis Advanced Technologies Launches Latest Genesis 2.3

Nothing has much has changed in theoretical acoustics since ‘The Theory of Sound’ by mathematician and physicist Lord John William Strutt, Baron Rayleigh was published in 1877. There are still only two proper ways for a transducer to propagate sound in a room: a point-source and a line-source. Anything else, or everything in between, is a compromise.

In order for all frequencies of sound from the loudspeaker to reach the listener at exactly the same time, a coherent wave front is important - not just “time-alignment” of drivers. The ideal is either an infinitely small pulsating point or a pulsating line with a size on the order of the room dimension.

The Genesis 2 is the result of nearly 25 years of development of the line-source loudspeaker by Genesis Advanced Technologies. It embodies the belief of Genesis Chief Designer and CEO Mr. Gary Leonard Koh that with current technology, the line-source is the closest we can get to an ideal loudspeaker. “A four-foot line-source would perform much better than a 1-inch point-source delivering all the frequencies important to the reproduction of music,” said Mr. Koh. “The G2.3 is as close to the perfect transducer as we can make given the constraints of room size and budget.”

The huge advantage a line-source loudspeaker has over a point-source loudspeaker is that there is no vertical dispersion of the sound-wave. This carries several advantages: First, the spectral content of the waveform is consistent throughout the length of the line-source. With a line-source loudspeaker, seating height does not matter. There is no need to sit with the ears of the listener aligned to the height of the point-source or to aim the speaker at the head of the listener.

The second benefit of the line-source loudspeaker is that the attenuation of sound pressure level is -3dB with a doubling of distance instead of -6dB with a point-source. Hence, the change in loudness level is much less over small changes in distance. This results in a much larger area within which the speaker can be enjoyed, and hence can be enjoyed by a much larger audience. In a large room, this also results in much more dynamic sound with an equivalent amplifier.

“The Genesis 2.3 is the ultimate living room party loudspeaker,” said Mr. Koh. “It sounds as good standing up as when sitting down, and is not too loud up close or too soft much further away. You could be almost anywhere in the room or even hanging out just outside the door and enjoy the music.”

A further advantage of the line-source for the audiophile is that the lack of vertical dispersion means that there are no deleterious reflections from the floor or ceiling which may result in indistinct imaging. As the G2.3 is also a dipole – which reduces side-wall reflections – it creates rock-solid images and a “you-are-there” soundstage.

The current Genesis Series-2 loudspeaker has been improved over the previous generation launched nearly 8 years ago primarily in the area of lowering coloration in order to hear through to the music.

The new Genesis Ring Radiator Ribbon Tweeter (R3T) has lower distortion and wider dispersion up to 40kHz. The structure of the 48-inch ribbon midrange unit has also been strengthened and improved to further reduce distortion. As most rooms are acoustically asymmetric, separate left and right Servo-Controlled bass Amplifiers (SCAmps) are provided – with two channels per woofer tower. Improved power supplies from the development of the Genesis Reference Amplifier Series II have been incorporated in the SCAmp resulting in more impactful bass.

Structurally, the constraint-layer-damped composite sandwich that was designed during the development of the G-Force loudspeaker now reduces resonance in the cabinets. This improves the “launch blackness” of the mid/high frequencies making music sound like it is coming from a quieter background.

“There is already quite an improvement when you go from a conventional cone/dynamic loudspeaker to a ribbon or planar-magnetic,” said Mr. Koh. “But it can be really shocking when you go from a conventional loudspeaker to a ribbon line-source. The sense of ease is incredible when you have so much dynamic headroom. The effortlessness of musical peaks, huge dynamic contrasts and the ability to resolve the tiniest musical details – that’s what gives many listeners a sense of euphoria. It makes listening to music a visceral experience.”

The Genesis 2.3 loudspeaker system comprises a pair of midrange/tweeter “wings”, a pair of woofer towers, a pair of Servo-Controlled bass Amplifiers, and connecting cables and accessories. It is custom built in “any” finish including carbon-fiber, rosewood and high-gloss black. Price on Application.

Originally founded in 1991, the technology legacy of Genesis goes back to the Infinity Servo-Statik One launched in 1968. In 2002, Mr. Koh purchased the brand, assets and technology and in 2006 took over as Chief Designer and CEO. Since then, Genesis Advanced Technologies have built on the legacy improving the original designs and developing new ones, and improved upon the engineering and build quality of Genesis loudspeakers. Genesis now has a full range of ‘Absolute Fidelity’ products from electronics to loudspeakers.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg G2.3 mini-Dragons LoRez.jpg (89.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg G2.3 Rosewood Pair LoRez.jpg (90.3 KB, 45 views)
Old 07-22-2015, 11:45 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Gary... Very nice!

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 07-22-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
We don't have s dedicated Genesis forum, so I placed the latest news here in the Infinity Forum. Genesis Advanced Technologies Launches Latest Genesis 2.3 Nothing has much has changed in theoretical acoustics since ‘The Theory of Sound’ by mathematician and physicist Lord John William Strutt, Baron Rayleigh was published in 1877. There are still only two proper ways for a transducer to propagate sound in a room: a point-source and a line-source. Anything else, or everything in between, is a compromise. In order for all frequencies of sound from the loudspeaker to reach the listener at exactly the same time. . .
Glad to see that Gary continues to develop this fine line of speakers. I'll bet these sound great.

My only issue is the first paragraph is not correct. All sounds need not arrive at the listener at exactly the same time. This is not what happens with live music so there are other viable and possibly more accurate speaker designs.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:30 AM

Gary, thanks for the post. I'm so glad I caught it. I wish there were a Genesis forum even though I own Wilson. I also note that nonetheless than McIntosh agrees with Mr. Koh. I believe the line source superior to the point source. I owned a Gen II with 12" woofers back in the 90's. I kept them until I felt the midrange towers were malfunctioning from age. Arnie Nudell and Paul McGowan were the originators of Genesis. This design you see here is exactly based on their original designs. I want to say that this 2.3 looks like a tremendous speaker. There are so many advantages if you have the room size to accommodate a speaker like this. Servo bass really is the best bass going. You get to optimize for both bass and midrange/treble. This ring radiator tweeter is an original development of Nudell and McGowan and truly represents a third alternative to the soft and metal dome tweeters of virtually all other designs. It is a superb tweeter. Folks buy speakers for many reasons. My in town dealer carries Wilsons. I have been extremely pleased with the sound of my Maxx3's and Thor combo, so much so that I would never consider changing, but, if there were a Genesis dealer close by, I might change my mind after I heard the 2.3's.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:09 AM
Racing Hoopties

Gary - Thanks for adding this. I have never heard any Genesis speakers but would very much like to. They have a very limited distribution network mainly on the west coast.

I agree given the family ties and the focused nature of any discussions on Infinity or Genesis, that adding this Brand here makes sense.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack