AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 06-21-2019, 01:32 PM

Through my amp and speakers 6V6s sound very different from 6L6s. I have tried 2 different pairs of 6L6GC and liked them. Much smoother upper midrange and highs than with 6V6 tubes. Perhaps my amp overdrives the 6V6s. I've tried four different vintage brands of 6V6s and they are all shrill.

Last edited by Bombadil; 06-21-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:05 AM

I have done a lot of tube rolling in my 2015 Inspire 6L6 Fire Bottle amp (various 6L6, 6V6/5992, KT88, KT77, EL84 and 6F6 power tubes). Different combinations have different nuances to the sound signature. In my amp with my speakers, I'm my room, to my ears the 6V6/5992 and 6F6 give me the most pleasurable listening experience.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhparrot View Post
I have done a lot of tube rolling in my 2015 Inspire 6L6 Fire Bottle amp (various 6L6, 6V6/5992, KT88, KT77, EL84 and 6F6 power tubes). Different combinations have different nuances to the sound signature. In my amp with my speakers, I'm my room, to my ears the 6V6/5992 and 6F6 give me the most pleasurable listening experience.
Did you listen to the new production Tung-Sol 7581a tube? It seems to get good reviews on some sites.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maro View Post
Did you listen to the new production Tung-Sol 7581a tube? It seems to get good reviews on some sites.
No, that is not a tube I have tried. My power tube stash that I have tried includes
Tung-Sol 6L6G, SED Winged C 6L6GC, Hytron 6V6GT, Pope 6V6GT, Bendix 5992, Visseaux 6V6GT, GE Radiotron JAN 6V6, Genalex KT88, Genalex KT77, Valvo EL84, Cunningham 6F6G, RCA/Cunningham 6F6 Metal, Fivre 6F6GT, RCA 6F6 metal. Currently in the amp the RCA 6F6 metal.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maro View Post
What tubes are you running in the newly modified Amp? I have an earlier pentode Inspire and have tried many power tubes. The metal 6f6's are my current tube and I like the fullness and punch they deliver. Have you used 6f6's yet in your new Inspire?

Just realized this was really a question for me. While we all listened at the shop we ran re-issue Tung Sol 6L6GC STR, 6L6 metal, 6f6G and 6v6G of various vintage. All sounded quite good. I am a huge fan of metal 6f6 and 6l6 tubes. Maybe with a slight edge to the 6l6s to my ears at the moment which are currently installed.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:24 AM

Default Not to steal Straitwire's thunder...

But Dennis was sending around pix, so as not to deprive the greater community...

The first of the PSE 45's... (Yay!)

Untitled by Allan Shang, on Flickr

and another new Inspire in Beamer Blue...

Old 06-24-2019, 12:55 PM

I am not surprised to read that people like different tubes. Some of our amps are very different from each others. Certainly our speakers are different. Many here like the lower power triode-strapped amps, of which Dennis also seems to favor given his posts on eBay.

Running 6V6 in a triode amp produces what, around 4-5 wpc? That's not enough power for me so those amps aren't an option. My amp produces 17-18 wpc and that's a bit low for my system, I'd much rather have 25-30 wpc. But as long as I don't crank it way up, it sounds great with the 17. I have run it with tubes producing as low as the 4-5 watt range, but that's giving up 6 dB of headroom.

Maybe someday I will find a high efficiency speaker which I like, and doesn't cost $30K. The search continues ...
Old 06-24-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
But Dennis was sending around pix, so as not to deprive the greater community...

The first of the PSE 45's... (Yay!)

I recognize that PSE!
Old 06-24-2019, 03:08 PM

Default FWIW, Shuguang and Psvane 6SL7 & 6SN7's

I've been using these in Inspire amp for almost 4 years. No issues. Speakers are Klipsch Heresy III's. They simply sound better than any old production tubes I have had.

Sound wise, IMHO, the CV-181-Z is on the rich/dark side.
The CV-181 T is a bit more open.
The CV-181 T-II grey glass bronze base is more open, perhaps a bit tilted up.
The WE 6S*7 and WE 6S*7 is more balanced.
The UK version is a nice tube too.
The Sophia Blue 6SN7 is outstanding but pricey.

The Full Music tubes are also quite good.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 06-25-2019 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
I am not surprised to read that people like different tubes. Some of our amps are very different from each others. Certainly our speakers are different. Many here like the lower power triode-strapped amps, of which Dennis also seems to favor given his posts on eBay.

Running 6V6 in a triode amp produces what, around 4-5 wpc? That's not enough power for me so those amps aren't an option. My amp produces 17-18 wpc and that's a bit low for my system, I'd much rather have 25-30 wpc. But as long as I don't crank it way up, it sounds great with the 17. I have run it with tubes producing as low as the 4-5 watt range, but that's giving up 6 dB of headroom.

Maybe someday I will find a high efficiency speaker which I like, and doesn't cost $30K. The search continues ...
Ya just never know with speakers. I'm using 6F6's with probably 4W maximum with Proac DT8's. On paper they don't appear to be efficient enough to run with low power. Using them in a small 12 squared room and they go as loud as needed. They are also a killer match, really great combination. The cost is a ways south of $30k!