AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 06-04-2013, 10:29 AM

Default I need advice on new speakers

I've just sold my LaScalas, and I'm looking for some advice for new speakers to pair with my Shindo gear. I listen to mostly jazz, old and new, classic rock once
in a while when friends come over and even a little bit of classic country. I want a well balanced speaker, full range with plenty of bottom end punch. My room is medium sized and I don't believe it limits my speaker choice at all. I was at Matts a few months ago and listened to the Devore O/96 and was thoroughly impressed. Beautiful speaker with all the right qualities. I also am fond of the Tannoy Kensingtons but have not heard them yet. 12K is about the max of my budget. Can anyone suggest any other speakers for me to consider? I am also thinking of upgrading to a Masseto and I could upgrade from my Montille but that would depend on which speakers I get. They will have to last me for a long time so I want to get this right. I can think of no better place to ask for advice from knowledgable people than right here.
Thanks in advance
Old 06-04-2013, 10:43 AM

I'm a fan of Harbeth speakers and own the Compact 7's. You might consider the 30.1. I have not heard them but some of the reviews are very positive. They are not particularly sensitive. I find the sound very natural. My system is comprised of Quicksilver Silver 88 monos ( tubed ) an Anedio DAC1, Squeezebox Touch along with an Aurieges-L pre.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:49 AM

Vintage Altec Valencia 846As.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:16 AM

We have both the Kensingtons and the O/96s in stock. If it were me I would get the orangutans, as I find them more engaging and balanced than the Tannoys, but you might find differently.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:37 PM

Not to answer a question with a question...but how do the Silverbacks compare to the O/96's? Talk of the Silverbacks seems to have died completely since the O's came onto the scene, but should they not be considered as well for a Shindo system?
Old 06-04-2013, 01:26 PM

I see from your signature line you have the DeVore Super 8's, I have found that they play very nicely with my Montille. Try it with Telefunken 7189's, and a good sub.

ARC REF6, ARC Ref PH 2SE, ARC Ref 150SE, Esot N-05, SF Oylimpia III, Garrard 301 Reed2p, WW Silver Eclipse 8, Kimber Kable Select IC XLR

C22, MC275, MR78, PS Audio Dac, Tannoy Daltons 12" Red's Tannoy ST200 Tweeters, Kimber IC's, Mac Mini, Transparent ULTRA Speaker.

Marantz 7C, Marantz, 9, & 10B Tuner, Tannoy 15" Red's in York Corner Cabinets

ARC Ref1, ARC VT 100II, MR74, Tannoy Red 12 LSU/12/8, Spider Transcription TT, Nordost Spk Cable

Fisher 400C, MR78, Fisher SA 1000, BenchMark Dac, Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables, Tannoy Supper Red 10" LSU/III/Z Monitors

ARC SP3, MC 30's, MR67, Devore Supper 8's, Wadia i171, MicroMega Dac, Transparent Supper Spk

C20, MC75's, MR71, MS300, Tannoy 12" Golds, Auditorium 23,

C11, (2)Harmon Kardon CitationII, Shindo Montille, MC2505, McIntosh 117, Audio Research ST70, Knight KB85, Pilot Sa 232, Marantz 8B

Scott 130 Preamp, Scott 272 Int, HH Scott 250's MR71 tuner, Tube Guru F2a Mono's,
Old 06-04-2013, 07:30 PM

You know what to do Dale...
Old 06-04-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrest View Post
I see from your signature line you have the DeVore Super 8's, I have found that they play very nicely with my Montille. Try it with Telefunken 7189's, and a good sub.
I have tried the Supoer 8's in that room with the Montille before with a sub.
They just don't have the oomph for that room, and they are great in my family room where thet reside now.
Thanks
Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countingbackwards View Post
Not to answer a question with a question...but how do the Silverbacks compare to the O/96's? Talk of the Silverbacks seems to have died completely since the O's came onto the scene, but should they not be considered as well for a Shindo system?
Yes, I agree you don't hear much of them any longer. I think they are geared towards a SS system. And on just pure apperance, The O's are much preferred by me.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucumber_Jones View Post
You know what to do Dale...
YEA YEA, I know