AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 09-30-2015, 10:11 AM

I agree with puiutu that I would not recommend using the E-460 as a preamp to drive an A-70 amp, but in my initial reply I was just confirming that it could be done. Another speaker for your consideration would be Focal's Sopra 2, which was recently released and is quite impressive with a very dynamic and involving presentation.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:44 AM

So the upgrade sequence should be speakers first, followed by power amp, and the pre-amp should go last?
Old 09-30-2015, 11:23 AM

Harbeth Speakers would be a good match but it really depends on you. If you asked me Harbeth 40.2
Old 10-01-2015, 03:29 AM

That KEF R900 is a great speaker. I would build my system around it.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:43 AM

Your amp is good
I would start by bringing your amp into shops and trying out speakers
Or
My local shop lets me take them home to try out
Or
Can do like me and keep buying new speakers. At one point I had 20 pairs in the house and 10+amps. Now down to 7 pairs and 3 amps
But my next amp is an Accuphase
Old 10-02-2015, 10:44 AM

Since you already have some good equipment, this is my humble advice.

As I often said (maybe too often ), I would firstly look at what I could do to improve the room acoustic with passive treatment.
Then I would also think about a good active correction (if you already use a computer as a source, for example Dirac Live: low cost, big results).

In my experience, the most noticeable improvement I got were from active and passive equalization/treatment. Way more than with other upgrades, when I already had good gear (pre, power, source, etc.).

Only after that, I would think about upgrade other gear.

Then again, shopping for a new power o preamplifier, or new speakers, is way more satisfying than buying acoustic panels or download a eq correction software, I admit that

Last edited by Mattia; 10-02-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:26 PM

To the OP, in auditioning the B&W speaker and comparing them to a very old (1995) KEF reference, the 'character' of the KEF speaker was the main attraction for me. Being used to the KEF for quite a few years, there wasn't anything objectionable about them, despite their age and they worked tirelessly.

Soon after listening to the B&W and mulling over the decision, a very good run out deal was seized on current model KEF reference and jumped at it.

Never looked back since. Your electronics are very good, have a similar integrated with the E-450 and upgraded to C-2420 + P-4200 with the older KEFs. Quite a noticeable improvement, a bigger amp just is so effortless.

As for your decision......wow. Have a good listen to the newer KEF and speaker upgrades are biggest change as always. If you want to change electronics, try the Pre-amp first, the E-460 has XLR inputs. As other posters have advised, the RCA out to a good power amp from an integrated is not optimum. I tried it and was greeted with a ground loop buzz.

Difficult decisions!
Old 10-02-2015, 09:25 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I don't know much about how to do this, so I appreciate any advice that I get.

1. I am well aware that using an integrated amp to drive a power amp isn't optimal. It is difficult to achieve consensus among audiophiles but this seems to be one of them. But I just don't have the money to buy both C3850 and A70 at once. I have to choose one of them to go first. That means there has to be a transitional period when I have to use the E460 as a stand in. I think the E460+A70 combo is better than the C3850+E460 combo. Or are there other views?

2. After reading all the posts above, I am willing to try tweaking the speakers first. I have listened to 802D and I think it is phenomenal. I actually may replace the KEF R900 with 802D3. I am just worried that 802 is too big for my room. And it is a bit expensive compared with 803D3. I just talked to a local B&W dealer and the 802D3 is about 25% more expensive than the 803D3. Of course, I am also willing to consider other brands, especially Focal, which seem to be another popular name.

3. I have absolutely no idea how to do room treatment, passive or active. Any good websites with an "idiots guide" would be welcome.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:36 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountDeMoney View Post
Thanks, but multiple people have told me that E460 is not good enough for B&W803d. I have no idea. Is that true?
You've been talking to the wrong people. The E-460 is a terrific piece and easily supports much better speakers with that 180wpc output. As a Focal owner, suggest you give a listen to the Electra line. If in the U.S., there are some deals to be had on them at the moment. Or their new Sopra line. There are three or four of us using various (Cary, Luxman, McIntosh) integrated amps with our Focal Electras and are very pleased with the results. The new Bryston speakers are also getting some excellent reviews. Ivan (Masterlu) sells them and may have a set in stock.

Google is your friend for less in-depth treatise on room treatments. Here is one: http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/...nt--audio-1274, but, there several books on the subject. IIRC, B&W has a fairly extensive paper on same if you check their website.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 10-02-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:40 PM

I assume Masterlu lives in the US? If so, I live on the other side of the Pacific.