AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 01-15-2017, 03:14 PM

Default Upgrading from Cremona M to Guarneri Evolution?

Now that the Guarneri Evolution is being discontinued, I'm seeing them being advertised at pretty attractive prices (new). I currently have the Cremona M's. For those of you who are familiar with both speakers, how would you compare them?

Obviously they are very different kinds of speakers. I'm not that concerned about lack of a bottom end on the GE. I can fill it in with a subwoofer.

I listen mostly to classical music. The things that are important to me are accuracy of instrument tone and timbre, soundstaging, and freedom from glare or harshness. I play a lot of large scale symphonic music, so the ability to project a "large" sound is a consideration. I do not play at super loud volumes, however,

Drive electronics are all Audio Research (see my signature).

Is it a worthwhile upgrade from the Cremona M to the GE?
Old 01-15-2017, 09:31 PM

I find the GE to be a clear step up in performance compared to the Cremonas. The GEs are significantly more refined in tonality and more holographic without any tradeoffs in my experience. Simply a more involving presentation without any real tradeoffs. Depending upon your room size you may not find any need for a sub but always have the option. Your ARC gear should be an excellent match. Hope this helps!
Old 01-15-2017, 09:34 PM

The SF GE will be a solid upgrade over the Cremona M on several levels in the sound department as well as the aesthethics for which there is no comparison. SF GE has amazing imaging and the bass that these speakers produce will make you scratch your head and make you wonder how they do it.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:06 AM

The short answer is yes, absolutely. This is a really strong upgrade and you'll never regret doing it.

The Guarneri is a wonderful pair of speakers. Dan here can vouch for that.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:58 PM

Although as I recall Dan has an earlier version of the SF Guarneri speakers, not the Evolutions.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:52 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Although as I recall Dan has an earlier version of the SF Guarneri speakers, not the Evolutions.
Bill.......My association with Sonus faber began with the SF Cremona Auditors. I upgraded to the SF Guarneri Memento's, then upgraded again to the SF Amati Anniversario's. In each case the performance was improved with the upgrade.

I ran the SF Guarneri Memento's in a bi-amped setup with the Bryston 10B Sub active crossover and a pair of McIntosh XLS112 powered subwoofers. The sound was exceptional, truly full range. The Guarneri Memento's literally disappeared when the music began.

To read about the Guarneri Memento/Bryston 10B/McIntosh XLS112 setup click here: Bryston 10B Sub Active Crossover In Studio System

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-03-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:30 AM

John, grab the GE while they available. I sew terrific price on the A-gon from a reputable dealer. The GE are on a different level (build, sound) from Cremona.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:04 AM

I got a chance to audition the Guarneri Evolutions at the local dealer. On the positive side, the speakers were brilliant in terms of soundstaging and imaging. The speakers totally disappeared and presented a soundstage that was wide and deep. The bass was OK and the midrange was great. However, on the negative side, the high frequencies sounded very rolled off above a few kHz, which resulted in a tonal balance that was quite dark overall. Honestly I don't think I could live with such a dark sound. The speakers did not sound like what I expected from the reviews I had read.

The equipment used to drive them was an ARC Reference 75, SP20 preamp, and a Luxman CD player that I was not familiar with. I'm not sure how much different the sound would be with other equipment. However, I listened to other speakers in roughly the same price range (Focal, Wilson Audio) through the same equipment in the same room and did not get the same sense of tonal darkness.

So, I'm kind of puzzled here. The sound of the Guarneri's is nothing like my Cremona M's, which have somewhat less midrange richness but much more high frequency sheen without being overly harsh or bright. There could have been something wrong with the dealer's demo model or the way they were set up, but based on what I heard there, I was disappointed overall.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:01 PM

John, I had Cremona M, Amati Aniversario and Elipsa SE and the high freq. of the Guarneri Evolution for sure better than Cremona and in my system has been better than other two - its more natural and airy. It may be dealer's set-up and room, cables, equipment. Also Evolutions are famous for their great bass , but room size matters a lot. I personally think that ARC ref. 75 may not have enough power to drive Evos. May be you can ask dealer to run them with good SS amp and different CD player. What cables has been used?
I did numerous comparisons of the Cremona and Guarneri models and overall the Guarneri is in a different league. The price I saw on the A-gon for brand new, sealed in box pair of EVos is a very good one.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:40 AM

I traded my Cremona's for Guearneri Homage (the Original).
These are much better than the Cremona's. Just brings more music, is more refined, natural, better sound stage and most important more fun to listen to.
You forget very soon that there is less bass. The quality of the base is even better with the Guarneri. Looking back I never liked the Cremona's.