AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 06-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Music Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu

The 2 channel performance on my MX150 is crazy good, I really think something still isn't quite right with yours, just sayin.

Good luck!
I agree. Mine is fantastic.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 06-19-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
The 2 channel performance on my MX150 is crazy good, I really think something still isn't quite right with yours, just sayin.

Good luck!
So Ivan's statement had me quite concerned. Today I took my MX150 to the McIntosh dealer and plugged my unit into their setup and compared mine to their's (the dealer was very gracious). I also took my W4S DAC2 and laptop just for kicks. The owner and I spent several hours with several customers and employees and I have the following to report:
1. I'm not crazy. My MX150 sounds just like theirs. Nothing wrong with it.
2. Both MX150's don't sound as good as my W4S DAC2 direct as a preamp (serving up both redbook and Hdtracks 24bit flac files).

So what can I infer from this? That comparing my MX150 to my friends Krell S1200 is a valid comparison. There's nothing wrong with my unit, it just doesn't sound as good as the Krell (to my ears, and a few other's).

I guess you could try to argue that the dealer's MX150 also has something (the exact something as mine) wrong with it, but I doubt that. Mine just came back from McIntosh after being thoroughly gone through (according to Chuck Hinton) after repairs.

The more I think about this, it's pretty silly really. The MX150 is a great sounding pre/pro, but it's not a knock-your-socks-off preamp. If it was, people wouldn't own both C1000's and MX150's .

I've got a lead on a C45 and will integrate that into my setup and see how it turns out. Perhaps that will help scratch the itch and not force the change to Krell.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:39 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Bryan... I guess it was good for you to do the comparison and remove all doubt. Keep us up to date on the path you choose.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 06-20-2012, 02:20 AM

Good thing to do comparaison and have several point of view!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:41 AM

Bryan, great that you were able to do the mx150 comparison to confirm your opinion of the mx150. Now you need to borrow the Krell S1200 and play it in your room to see if the improvement you heard at your friend's place sustains in your environment. The C45 may be the answer though, and I'm very curious how that plays out.

Your research is really helping me out as I'm in the same boat. My itch is so bad I've alternatively almost pulled trigger on Bryston SP3, Krell S1200 and the MX150. All have their pros/cons. With the mx150, I figured how bad can it be in two channel, and if I ever wanted to improve it I would just add a great preamp later on. But I would get the Room Perfect auto correction, which is probably the best "auto" solution out there right now. The mx150 also has tone controls, so if I wanted to "massage" the sound of poorer recordings to make them a little more listenable, I could.

I also wonder just how good that W4S Dac is? It is killing everything else you listen to, and everyone raves about it. I actually emailed them to ask if they would make a mch version of their preamp, and they said they are looking at it but have other more pressing products in the pipeline. You know, if it's THAT good, maybe the answer is 3 W4S Dacs?!? Are you looking to improve on the W4S with the C45 or the Krell?

Good hunting!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:28 AM

Bryan, couple of quick questions:

Doesn't the Room Perfect feature make a significant improvement in 2 ch and mch sound?

Are you saying that, even with RP engaged, the W4S sounded better on 2 ch?

What didnt you like about the SSP-800 (and to what/how did you compare it)?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:33 AM

Bryan, I use a Krell S1200 in my theater. Other than splurging on the Evolution 707, the S1200 was the best solution for me for all around performance with multi-channel as well as 2 channel music. The class A analog pure preamp stage is tough to beat if you listen to 2 channel critically like I do.

The S1200 withstood the test of time as my system evolved from all Bryston amplification with Sonus Faber to Bryston and Wilson to now a blend of D'Agostino amps for 3 front speakers with Wilson speakers all around and Bryston amplification for surround sound duty. I have no immediate plans to upgrade or replace the S1200 at all.

I think the S1200 will obviously play nice with all Krell amplification and Krell amplification in turn has always been a viable choice in my book to power B&W, at least in most rooms.

Last edited by PHC1; 06-21-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:51 AM

PHC, any reason to believe the Krell would not perform as well with Mac? (in my case specifically, an MC452 with Revel Salon 2 as mains)
Old 06-21-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post
PHC, any reason to believe the Krell would not perform as well with Mac? (in my case specifically, an MC452 with Revel Salon 2 as mains)
Nope, the Krell is very pure with virtually undetectable sonic signature of its own. So... If you love the rest of your gear, S1200 will not try to change that.

In my own system the difference between the sources and especially the EAR tubed CDP is so noticeable and distinct that I smile every time I listen knowing how "uncolored" and "faithful" the playback chain is, Krell S1200 being squarely in the middle of that chain.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Nope, the Krell is very pure with virtually undetectable sonic signature of its own. So... If you love the rest of your gear, S1200 will not try to change that.

In my own system the difference between the sources and especially the EAR tubed CDP is so noticeable and distinct that I smile every time I listen knowing how "uncolored" and "faithful" the playback chain is, Krell S1200 being squarely in the middle of that chain.
That's pretty awesome. What I also like about the Krell is that it offers what appears to be pretty robust manual EQ flexibility. I think (correct me if wrong) it also allows four different EQ profiles to be established, which can be engaged as you like (ie, I could set up one with freq shaping that will enhance older/mediocre redbook CDs that need fuller mids/bass and tamer highs, and another one that enhances mch coherence/blending for movies).

No auto setup does mean I would have to have someone come do setup to take advantage of all this EQ prowess, as I don't have the time or patience. That's the nice thing about Room Perfect.