AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkval View Post
John:
As the GREAT Philosopher/Orator/Writer jdandy once said to me.......

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-26-2010, 01:59 PM

Default Pooh Bah's MX150

Hi Guys,
as there are 43 pages in this thread, I figure folks want to know what the deal was on the original MX150. We have had it back here for a couple of days, the desing engineer has looked it over and so have I.

On the Popping issue, when the unit comes fully on, a tiny relay click happens in the speakers, also on shut down. Connected w/ power control, the unit turns off the amp, the MX150 display goes out and a few seconds go by as it totally shuts down. If you do not use power control, but leave the amp ON, when the final shut down of the MX150 happens, a pretty good clunk comes out the speakers. I think we can all agree that you dont turn a preamp on/off w/ the amp on, the noise is normal.

The other compliant is the surround mode going goofy once in a while, while changing inputs, I just sat in front of it for a 20 minutes and changed surround modes 100 times, not a glitch. Obviously, somthing went wrong when Poobah was using it, we just could not reproduce.

His new unit is due at the dealer today, we all hope it will work perfectly well for him.

One bit of advice he was given was to turn Power Save mode to NO, it was set to YES when it arrived here. We did not re-set or change settings, it has been tested as it arrived.

We are certainly at fault for shipping the units with out a complete manual, but I would encourage all my freinds out there that, when you get a new unit of any brand, and you have difficulty with it, to contact the manufacturer and dealer before you post a bunch of stuff on it.

After a fairly short period of trying to trouble shoot over the phone, I arranged for a replacment. If you think Hi End stuff cant break, talk to sombody who owns a Ferrari. Broken or not, I think all high end manufacturers are going to stand by their stuff as best they can and I apriciate Poobah and anyone else out there with an issue for all the patience and co-operation you have shown me.
Chuck
Old 05-26-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck of Mc Tech Support View Post
Hi Guys,
as there are 43 pages in this thread, I figure folks want to know what the deal was on the original MX150. We have had it back here for a couple of days, the desing engineer has looked it over and so have I.

On the Popping issue, when the unit comes fully on, a tiny relay click happens in the speakers, also on shut down. Connected w/ power control, the unit turns off the amp, the MX150 display goes out and a few seconds go by as it totally shuts down. If you do not use power control, but leave the amp ON, when the final shut down of the MX150 happens, a pretty good clunk comes out the speakers. I think we can all agree that you dont turn a preamp on/off w/ the amp on, the noise is normal.

The other compliant is the surround mode going goofy once in a while, while changing inputs, I just sat in front of it for a 20 minutes and changed surround modes 100 times, not a glitch. Obviously, somthing went wrong when Poobah was using it, we just could not reproduce.

His new unit is due at the dealer today, we all hope it will work perfectly well for him.

One bit of advice he was given was to turn Power Save mode to NO, it was set to YES when it arrived here. We did not re-set or change settings, it has been tested as it arrived.

We are certainly at fault for shipping the units with out a complete manual, but I would encourage all my freinds out there that, when you get a new unit of any brand, and you have difficulty with it, to contact the manufacturer and dealer before you post a bunch of stuff on it.

After a fairly short period of trying to trouble shoot over the phone, I arranged for a replacment. If you think Hi End stuff cant break, talk to sombody who owns a Ferrari. Broken or not, I think all high end manufacturers are going to stand by their stuff as best they can and I apriciate Poobah and anyone else out there with an issue for all the patience and co-operation you have shown me.
Chuck
I appreciate the response, but this wasn't the thread I started. But it will do. And the new unit will be installed today, by the dealer as the last one was. It wasn't I who changed the power saving mode by the way, if it was changed the dealer did it.

While I cross my fingers and hope for the best tonight... your thoughts about what the issue might be and what I was expereincing seem to be a little misalighened. As I told you in an email yesterday, the poping noises do not occur when the unit is fully on... It occur when you press mute, or when I had pressed continue when uipdating.. or when powering down and only during the first 10-15 minute of it's power up. It had nothing to do with power control cables, or whether the mx150 was turned on first or last as I had wrote you this morning. We tried every combination you can think off, Till finally we were left with just the mx150 and 2 amps and nothing else plugged directly into the walls and still the problems persisted.

But all along, I was sure that Mcintosh and yourself would resolve the issue, and I'm thankful for that, and I'm sure this unit will have no problems... On top of that I'll ensure that the dealer does not turn power savings on tonight.

As for posting a bunch of stuff on it.. I thought I was fair, and I thought people have a right to know what user's experiences are both negative and superlative. I tried my best to be fair, and not jump on any bashing wagons, as some may have appeared to be. Considering I purchased the unit, in august of last year, I thought I was extremely nice about the whole affair?

*alright cross your fingers for tonight*

Round one to Chuck.

Last edited by Poobah; 05-26-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:56 PM

P.s. the Round one to chuck does not Refer to you Chuck Hinton.. It's a whole other chuck.

Round one to Chuck.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Aficionado Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
John.......Congratulations on the install. You have a beautiful, as well as complex set up. It is good to know that the MX150 is able to handle your connection requirements in stride.

As the learned, well respected, deep thinking, and cleverly articulate educator hkval might put it, "You, son, have rightly earned the prestigious privilege of receiving your diploma."

There's nothing finer than being a satisfied and happy camper.
Thanks, Dan. I am proud to be receiving that diploma from such esteemed figures as HK and you.

Houston Upstairs - C1000C/T, MX170, MC1.2KW x 4, MC501 x 2, MC252, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, MEN220, MPC1500, XRT1K's, XCS1K, XLS320's, Gotham, Sony VPL-VW675ES, Sony XBR-55X930E, Panasonic DP-UB9000, Apple TV 4K, Kaleidescape Strato C, Roon Core on Nucleus & MS600
Houston Downstairs - Den (Zone A): MX122, MR88, MCD500, MVP871, MC207, DD18, Sony XBR-75Z9D, OPPO BDP-203, Sonos Port, Apple TV 4K, Sooloos MS200, B&W 805 Diamond x 2, B&W HTM4 Diamond, B&W CWM8 x 2; Living Room (Zone B): Sony XBR-65Z9D, MC402 & XR200's

Austin Theater - MX180, MC8207, MI254; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Kaleidescape Strato; OPPO UDP-203; Sooloos MS200; Apple TV 4K; Sonos Connect; Paradigm Signature S8 (2), C5, SIG-1.5R-v.3 (4) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 (4), SUB2; JVC RS3100; Sony XR-85X95K; Screen Innovations Black Diamond 2.35:1
Austin Den - Marantz AV7701, MM7055; Paradigm Studio 10 v5 (2), Studio CC-590 v5, RVC-12SQ, SA-10R (2); Sony XBR-65Z9D; Apple TV 4K
Old 05-27-2010, 11:35 PM
Aficionado Charter Member

I just got home from California about two hours ago and shortly thereafter began running the Room Perfect calibration. The calibration process is very similar to that of the MEN220, except that you have to enter the distance in inches from each speaker to the Focus position before beginning the calibration, and of course it has to run the test tones for all of your speakers, including the sub, instead of just the left and right that the two channel MEN220 does. This means that the MX150 takes about 5 minutes per room position to run through the test tones. After running five room positions, the MX150 had acquired 97% "room knowledge", so I called it good. I listened to a couple of songs from the multi-channel SACD version of Elton John's Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road, and noted very similar improvements to those I get from using my MEN220 with the two channel portion of my system.

More to follow when I get back from our weekend trip to Dallas and have a chance to do some more listening.

Houston Upstairs - C1000C/T, MX170, MC1.2KW x 4, MC501 x 2, MC252, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, MEN220, MPC1500, XRT1K's, XCS1K, XLS320's, Gotham, Sony VPL-VW675ES, Sony XBR-55X930E, Panasonic DP-UB9000, Apple TV 4K, Kaleidescape Strato C, Roon Core on Nucleus & MS600
Houston Downstairs - Den (Zone A): MX122, MR88, MCD500, MVP871, MC207, DD18, Sony XBR-75Z9D, OPPO BDP-203, Sonos Port, Apple TV 4K, Sooloos MS200, B&W 805 Diamond x 2, B&W HTM4 Diamond, B&W CWM8 x 2; Living Room (Zone B): Sony XBR-65Z9D, MC402 & XR200's

Austin Theater - MX180, MC8207, MI254; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Kaleidescape Strato; OPPO UDP-203; Sooloos MS200; Apple TV 4K; Sonos Connect; Paradigm Signature S8 (2), C5, SIG-1.5R-v.3 (4) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 (4), SUB2; JVC RS3100; Sony XR-85X95K; Screen Innovations Black Diamond 2.35:1
Austin Den - Marantz AV7701, MM7055; Paradigm Studio 10 v5 (2), Studio CC-590 v5, RVC-12SQ, SA-10R (2); Sony XBR-65Z9D; Apple TV 4K
Old 06-03-2010, 07:25 PM

Default Mine Had arrived Today

I was the first one to have one unit here in Brazil. Hope i won't find it hard to set it correctly! 6 hard waiting months after....