AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 09-19-2020, 03:15 PM

This continuous thread brings back fond memories of my MC275 v6's. I can't believe it has been over 6 years since I had them. For me, running 2 in mono was my preferred choice as well as upgrading the the stock tubes.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Everest, Altaira
Old 09-19-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapa View Post
Very interesting -- thanks for providing this info. I've been running a single 275 for a few years now and have thought about adding a second. Perhaps I'll now take the plunge.
If you decide to I may be able to help.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC2 View Post
If you decide to I may be able to help.
I will keep that in mind...
Old 11-03-2020, 07:58 AM

I’ve had an MC-275 Mk iv since 2007. It’s been great with my K-horns. I hear that the latest version, the vi, has some major improvements and a much warmer sound? I could see myself upgrading this.
Main System MC-2102--C-2700--HiFi Rose 150B--MVP-901--Revox PR-99mkiii--Klipschorns- - Shunyata Denali 6000v2 --Sota Star Sapphire Turntable with vacuum—SME series iV.Vi—Sumiko Blackbird— WireWorld power and interconnect cables MC-205–MX-100
Old 11-03-2020, 08:52 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCheek View Post
I’ve had an MC-275 Mk iv since 2007. It’s been great with my K-horns. I hear that the latest version, the vi, has some major improvements and a much warmer sound? I could see myself upgrading this.
Had the MKIV & 2200 and it was an excellent system. When I spoke to the salesperson (Frank Gow) that I dealt with at the time he warned off upgrading if I liked what I had. He told me that I might find it to not be an 'upgrade', only different. He suggested a pair of the MC75s, which was a nice upgrade. If I were to go with McIntosh again, it would be another pair of MC75s.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-03-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
William.......There are many MC275 owners and previous owners here. Lots of love for the great McIntosh MC275. I owned three. One of our new members, Mark HD, just bought four MC275LE's. They are sweet amplifiers with a big following.

EDIT: December 2, 2015. I added a club sign for the MC275 Club. Use it as you please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Had the MKIV & 2200 and it was an excellent system. When I spoke to the salesperson (Frank Gow) that I dealt with at the time he warned off upgrading if I liked what I had. He told me that I might find it to not be an 'upgrade', only different. He suggested a pair of the MC75s, which was a nice upgrade. If I were to go with McIntosh again, it would be another pair of MC75s.
Yes, I’ve been very happy with this system. I think the downsides are: now that I am enjoying tape and want to make from vinyl, is the phono stage a good as it should be. As I look to bring in a digital server for streaming, I will need an external DAC, or upgrade to an MC 2600 or MC 2700. Never thought about anything other than an MC 275. I guess the MC 75’s are all vintage?
Main System MC-2102--C-2700--HiFi Rose 150B--MVP-901--Revox PR-99mkiii--Klipschorns- - Shunyata Denali 6000v2 --Sota Star Sapphire Turntable with vacuum—SME series iV.Vi—Sumiko Blackbird— WireWorld power and interconnect cables MC-205–MX-100
Old 11-08-2020, 11:06 AM

Hello Guys, I have been running my system for almost a decade now. The dual monoblock mc275V's have been killer. I run them full bore most of the time since it is a big room with a bar now, and we are always partying/dancing. I am still running the same Gold Lion tubes that I rolled when I bought them. Very impressive tubes. I also still love the ML Aerius Speakers, so, I bought replacement panels and cone speakers for them from Martin Logan. After all this time, I still think a pair of mc275V's in mono block mode are top notch with the right speakers. When you find the sweat spot, you know it. Note: I also run a old genesis subwoofer with my system. A couple of pics.

Old 11-08-2020, 12:09 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks Harry, you have eased some concerns of ownership that I’ve had. These are my first tube amps so I’ve had the usual newbie concerns especially after seeing the cost of tubes and not knowing how often it would be necessary, typical I guess for a new person.
My listening is mostly on weekends with an ocasional M-F, So I should be okay for a while.
Know I just need to contend with the tube rolling bug that I read about.
Loving the sound and enjoying for now.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC2 View Post
Thanks Harry, you have eased some concerns of ownership that I’ve had. These are my first tube amps so I’ve had the usual newbie concerns especially after seeing the cost of tubes and not knowing how often it would be necessary, typical I guess for a new person.
My listening is mostly on weekends with an ocasional M-F, So I should be okay for a while.
Know I just need to contend with the tube rolling bug that I read about.
Loving the sound and enjoying for now.
Yes, when I bought my pair of mc275's, the McIntosh tubes did not have a great rep..., so, I immediately went with a complete set of Russian Genalex Gold lions with the Gold pins, KT88s and 12ax7s and I still have the McIntosh tubes as backup. You can get the power tube Russian Gold Lions in match sets of 4s. At the time I bought them, Gold Lions were some of the best bang for the buck tubes. Around $60 each for the KT88s and $40 for the 12ax7s. I have been out of it for a while, so, I do not know what the new flavor of the month is for tubes, but, the mc275s are really easy on tubes. Whatever you decide, if they are good from the factory, they will last a long, long time. Enjoy your new amps, mine have been very musical.

Last edited by hjdca; 11-08-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:17 PM

I really like the MC275 and the only thing preventing me from trading my MC302 for one is the price of replacement tubes. Since Covid stated I've been listening to my stereo for 10-12 hours a day and at that rate I'll be replacing the KT88s every 3 months.