AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 02-16-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Darrin,
Personally, I think very, very highly of Shunyata's power cords.
I have tried MANY MANY different companies and I always came back to Shunyata and DH Labs as my choice of PC's. Shunyata for components, and DH Labs for my speakers. But like anything else in this hobby, each should try before they buy and see what they like.

Quote:
I use a Venom3 on my phono stage and plan to order two more, one for the Bifrost DAC, and one to power another power distributor, probably a Hydra. I haven't auditioned a Running Springs cord, but I know Jeff thinks very highly of the Running Springs power conditioners.
I am a firm believer that having multiple PC's upgraded will really show you what they can do compared to doing just one. But if budget is a concern (like most of us), then start on the Source or your Pre Amp/Power Amp.

Like PC's, I have tried MANY power conditioners and have settled on Shunyata or Running Springs. The Hydra's are very nice (I have no experience the new Alpha or Telos Conditioners). In comparison in my room and with my rig and my ears, I like the Running Springs Haley better on my front end stuff than the Shunyata Hydra. The Hydra's are used on my power amps and speakers and I am very happy with them in use there. But you really cannot go wrong with either company.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:36 PM
dpod4

Thanks. I had and sold a Hydra 6. I now have a audience ar12 which in my system sounds better (with audience e powerchords on most components). Looking forward to trying the RSA mongoose on the CJ amp.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:17 PM
dpod4

I received the RSA Mongoose 20amp powercord yesterday. I don't think it is broken in yet, but initial impressions mated to my CJ Pr350 amp are:
1. more powerful transient strike/dynamics
2. better separation between notes and instruments...a more deliberate sound
3. compared to Virtual Dynamics power cord I demoed, the RSA Mongoose retains all the sonic signature of the CJ...doesn't sound like a different piece of equipment was installed
Old 02-19-2012, 02:21 PM

Sometimes I wish I were golden-eared, and sometimes I'm glad I'm not. I have to work at hearing differences among, for instance, some good IC, speaker, or power cables. On powercables, I have used several Audioquest NRG-2 cables; I had replaced their equipment ends with Wattgate 320Is because the originals didn't grip the inlets very tightly. Since then I've assembled several PCs with Neotec NEP-3003 (13g., into the discplayer and preamp) and '3002 (11g., into the PS Audio Quintessance powerconditioner and the poweramps). Both use UPOCC-copper conductors and Furutech ends.

I can't tell you exactly how these changed the system's sounds, but my system continues to sound better--more transparent and smooth (less edgy)--with every change to it.

----------------------

'Till I can have a signature--Oppo '83SE discplayer, c-j MET1 preamp(1), 2 FirstWatt F4 poweramps with McC DNA-750s coming from 'Lew Johnson & Co.' next week, Vandersteen 5Bs(2). IC is Neotec UPOCC-copper cables with Xhadow RCAs, and speaker is custom-braided UPOCC-silver conductors in Teflon on MR & treble and a combination of UPOCC-copper- and UPOCC-silver-conductor stuff on lower frequencies. In the centerchannel is a much-improved V'steen VCC-1 driven by a much-improved Marantz MA-500.

(1) The now-discontinued 6-channel, all-analog, vacuumtubed (M8080s) unit with Jupiter HT and SoniCap Platinum caps in the powersupply and SC Platinum output-coupling caps.
(2) There's no such thing as a V'steen '5B' except at my house. RV builds an excellent crossover, but I replaced his 3 not-loved-by-me bypass caps with SC Platinums (Teflon-film) or MultiCap RTXs ('styrene) bypassed with small SC Platinums.

Last edited by jeffreybehre; 02-19-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:24 PM

Hello Jeffrey and welcome

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 02-19-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale
Hello Jeffrey and welcome
No work tomorrow Philippe ?

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
No work tomorrow Philippe ?

Of course yes

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 02-19-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale

Of course yes
Hummm....
I always thought that doctors were in bed early when they work in the morning

Old 02-19-2012, 09:09 PM
dpod4

oops looks like he went to bed...
Old 02-20-2012, 01:46 AM

I have CA200 and CT5 setup. I think I mentioned before that I use power cords, but I have taken it to a high art (?). I found that you get what you pay for in this hobby. There is a law of diminishing returns but there is also a rule of cumulative benefits. Out of a good cord I expect to get better performance in all respects, less distortions to make music sound more natural detailed and dynamic. It should help the amp sound like its working well within its limits.

I bought my first aftermarket PC about 3 years ago. I have since replaced/traded them all at least once and I now use them in series for cumulative benefits and to spread the benefits with less cabling. As a result I can only think of one person who has a more comprehensive PS loom than I do.

My power solution is

- dedicated line from my power box with extra beefy wiring
- Nordost Odin from wall to Qbase
- Qv2 on Qbase, Qbase sitting on AC sort cones*
- Nordost Valhalla to second Qbase
- Qbase no, 2 is on Tippy toe feet*
- Valhalla to DAC, CA200 and INT202, a longer Brahma to CT5

I still don't know what possessed me to go this far apart from finding each successive change from Shiva cords up the line to be better than the previous one. It just became addictive, but I have no more plans for new wires.

*Anti resonance or coupling feet are a signiifcant part of my solution. If the Qbase touchs against the rack or are knocked off their feet I always hear that something is astray. Why this should be, I don't know, but it impacts on sound quality so thats where they stay.

Power may not be everything but it is the start of everything.

I have heard improvements in other peoples systems using these cables but it seems more pronounced at my place. I will say however that I had the un-nerving experience about a year ago when my suburb lost power in a storm. I arrived home to find my house was the only one with power, this lasted until very late at night. This may be a clue as to why I find power conditioning so critical. I must have a dedicated line to the power station.