AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 03-27-2011, 10:05 AM

Default Help with Basic HT Setup Question

Trying to setup a very basic HT for my sister. She loves to stream baseball games from her Mac Mini right to her tv. She is looking to add a basic receiver, speakers and Blu Ray to have a nice 5.1 system. She asked me if it is possible to do the following:

She would like to stream the baseball game from the Mac Mini and at the same time listen to the local AM or FM broadcast of the game as she likes the local announcers versus the ones calling the game on the internet. Basically, she is looking to run the video from the internet through her receiver and at the same time use the AM/FM tuner on the receiver for the audio. Is this possible to do? If so, does she need a special capability on the receiver? I told her one obvious problem is going to be the syncing of the radio call versus the video stream. She is okay for now with that.

Any help/suggestions appreciated!

Steve
Old 03-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Hear to listen...

Steve, I thought the MLB.tv package gives you the option to listen to the local broadcast?? I'd wanna hear Franzke & LA, too! Can't you just get a video, only, feed out of the mac? I've never connected my computer to a TV, but I would think you could do that.

Just looked it up...you can get local with the premium package. (hope this works) MLB.TV Of course, that's local TV, so it wouldn't give her Franzke & LA.

Aural pleasures courtesy of SME, Dynavector, Audio Research, Simaudio, Wireworld, & Wilson

Last edited by BlueChiaro; 03-27-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:58 AM

I think the new Mac Mini has HDMI which also sends audio to the TV. She can then use the optical out to the receiver's Zone 2 (you will need another speaker, perhaps mono) to hear the AM/FM.

Preamps/tuners:McIntosh C50, C46, MR88, MR73, C2200, C22ce, Cary SPL-98L
Integrate amps:McIntosh MA6100, Denon PMA2000ivr
Amps: McIntosh Mc602, Mc2000, Mc275 MK-V, Cary 805ae mono blocks.
Speakers: JMLab Mezzo Utopia, Focal Twin6 BE, Tannoy Mini Autograph
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800, Beyer T1, Denon D7000, Grado RS1i, Sony MDR-SA5000, MDR-Z1000, AKG K701, and many many more
Digital Sources:Sony SCD-1 & SCD777es, CDP-XA7es, 2010 Mac Mini Music Server, Amarra Mini player, Musical Fidelity V-Link & M1 DAC, Apogee Mini-DAC & Duet 2
Old 03-27-2011, 02:41 PM

If the Mac has HDMI why don't just send the video signal straight to the TV, mute the TV and then use the radio from the receiver? I know it may be out of sync, but it may work out. I would try that first.
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.