AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 04-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Serge.......Voids always seem to have a way of getting filled. There is opportunity here. I don't think it is over yet. I certainly hope not. We can't be the only ones who desire full dynamics in our recordings.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-25-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Serge.......Voids always seem to have a way of getting filled. There is opportunity here. I don't think it is over yet. I certainly hope not. We can't be the only ones who desire full dynamics in our recordings.
Dan, I have over 1200 CDs, maybe 1/3 would be considered good to great recording quality. I find the XRCDs and some SACDs to be excellent but the choice is limited. I am hoping to find some additional relief with the LPs as well.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
2112.......Once the peaks have be squashed, and the low levels have been increased, then mastered, it is over. You can not recreated the original dynamics. The damage is permanent.
Dan, Obviously I have been thinking about this for several days. I thought I remembered a thread about a High End Manufacturer like Ayre or Meridian that has a new DAC out that could eliminate what they called "pre-ringing" in compressed Digital recordings. That is the single biggest complaint for me (pre-ringing that is).

Did I mis-remember or misinterpret that??
MX-136, C2300, MC602s(2), MC207, MCD500, MS750, MR88, Pioneer Elite BR, JL Gothams (2), GR research LS6s and LS-9s soon, Wireworld Cables, Dedicated 20amp circuits, Lots of Cerwin Vegas and Onkyo gear.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
Dan, Obviously I have been thinking about this for several days. I thought I remembered a thread about a High End Manufacturer like Ayre or Meridian that has a new DAC out that could eliminate what they called "pre-ringing" in compressed Digital recordings. That is the single biggest complaint for me (pre-ringing that is).

Unfortunately, I don't believe addressing pre-ringing can fix the problem. It's not an issue with digital artifacts.

I have Bruce Springsteen's Magic on vinyl and it's so compressed that the needles in my 501's view meters appear to be stuck.

The opposite of compression is expansion. My C34V has a compressor/expander but expansion, alas, it introduces problems of its own (i.e. a "pumping" effect.)

IMO dynamic compression is a worst offender than digital compression (i.e. MP3).

Alberto
Old 05-02-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Unfortunately, I don't believe addressing pre-ringing can fix the problem. It's not an issue with digital artifacts.

I have Bruce Springsteen's Magic on vinyl and it's so compressed that the needles in my 501's view meters appear to be stuck.

The opposite of compression is expansion. My C34V has a compressor/expander but expansion, alas, it introduces problems of its own (i.e. a "pumping" effect.)

IMO dynamic compression is a worst offender than digital compression (i.e. MP3).

Alberto

MX-136, C2300, MC602s(2), MC207, MCD500, MS750, MR88, Pioneer Elite BR, JL Gothams (2), GR research LS6s and LS-9s soon, Wireworld Cables, Dedicated 20amp circuits, Lots of Cerwin Vegas and Onkyo gear.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-02-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Correct. Dynamic range compression can't be undone by any digital process. What the MP filter of Ayre for example does is eliminate some of the digital artifacts that simply do not belong to the music recorded on it. You can read some more on this here. http://www.ayre.com/pdf/Ayre_MP_White_Paper.pdf

I've been listening to the Ayre C-5xeMP for a while now. It seems to exhibit a level of naturalness that is unlike any other digital product I have heard so far. It takes a bit of getting used to, it almost seems with the digital edge gone, like there is something missing. Except that everything sounds more relaxed but just as dynamic. Took me a week to settle in to the new sound. I've noticed the intentional distortion of guitar amps for example, now simply sounds like artistic distortion, not harsh distortion that drives your ears crazy.

Bass instruments have acquired the roundness, fullness and naturalness usually associated with the best analog rigs out there. This is very evident on material such as XRCD which is made from analog master tapes. The highs are extended but very natural sounding with no irritation to the ears with digital harshness of which there seems to be none. Simply incredible and the way recorded music was really supposed to be! I don't know about the midrange, it seems I am able to pick up much more information and subtle details like singers swallowing during pauses which was never part of my older system but that could be the ultra transparency of the Wilson speakers I am now using.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:35 PM

Serge,

It sounds like the Ayre is making an already good recording even that much more enjoyable.

I am struggling with poor recordings/mastering of my favorite music. I have already been advised I can only do so much on my end. I just wish they would quit doing this at the production level.

When I buy "remastered" recordings they do sound better, but those were made from analog originals. They are definitely not harsh but also not as detailed. I want my cake and to eat it too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-02-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Serge,

It sounds like the Ayre is making an already good recording even that much more enjoyable.

I am struggling with poor recordings/mastering of my favorite music. I have already been advised I can only do so much on my end. I just wish they would quit doing this at the production level.

When I buy "remastered" recordings they do sound better, but those were made from analog originals. They are definitely not harsh but also not as detailed. I want my cake and to eat it too.
Try XRCD, XRCD2, XRCD24. Also try SACD and other high quality recordings from the likes of Chesky, Naim, Linn, Mapleshade.

All too often we blame the gear but it is the music industry that should be blamed for selling us crap.

The Ayre does sound very organic as it should since that was the design goal of Meridian and Ayre working on the new apodizing filters. It gets you closer to true, natural sound. I think many will eventually follow that same path as it seems to eliminate some of the problems of digital sound.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Try XRCD, XRCD2, XRCD24. Also try SACD and other high quality recordings
I can't get any recording I want tho, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Chesky, Naim, Linn, Mapleshade.
These are Artists? Forgive my ignorance.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-02-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I can't get any recording I want tho, right?

These are Artists? Forgive my ignorance.

XRCD is growing, SACD is just about dead. You can see some XRCD here Home Of XRCD!!! - elusivedisc

The Linn, Naim, Mapleshade, Chesky are all record labels and some also make audio gear.