AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 11:16 PM

same issue just replaced the tubes on my 252 no change...
Old 01-28-2019, 12:47 AM

I find it quite galling of McIntosh not to do anything for tomiv. Neither the dealer or McIntosh will take responsibility for the buzzing. He has a new and very expensive amp sitting in the corner, not being used. This really isn't right. McIntosh could and should do better. Why doesn't their equipment have DC noise blockers built in like so many other brands of high end amps have? I think it's just plain wrong.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo_5 View Post
I find it quite galling of McIntosh not to do anything for tomiv. Neither the dealer or McIntosh will take responsibility for the buzzing. He has a new and very expensive amp sitting in the corner, not being used. This really isn't right. McIntosh could and should do better ...
This matter is also getting chatter over on that "other" audiophile forum, where the conversation has turned really nasty.

The problem, imo, is that the amp's owner won't send it back to McIntosh or to a factory authorized tech for evaluation. That means that anyone who thinks they know what is going on here is only speculating.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I find it quite galling of McIntosh not to do anything for tomiv. Neither the dealer or McIntosh will take responsibility for the buzzing. He has a new and very expensive amp sitting in the corner, not being used. This really isn't right. McIntosh could and should do better. Why doesn't their equipment have DC noise blockers built in like so many other brands of high end amps have? I think it's just plain wrong.
Don't take this the wrong way and the only reason I am responding is that I own a MC8207 without issue. I believe this was brought to the conclusion of a power issue, at fault of either the electric company coming in, and or the lines run in the house? How can McIntosh be at fault for this? It is a bummer for sure that the power in the residence is an issue, but again I'm not sure how you can point the fault to McIntosh. This seems to be getting to the point of beating a dead horse, and my advice, as well as suggested in previous posts, would be to return the amp and move on. I would assume the dealer would be OK with this and if not, then there would be a true issue. I do wish your friend the best of luck and hopefully he can get an amp that works out for him McIntosh or not.

-Ryan
Old 01-28-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo_5 View Post
That's what happened to me, but Mc wasn't giving me the cold shoulder, but they're not taking responsibility for DC buz.
Mc's response: measure for DC on the line. (there is DC, but significantly less than the DC they warned me to check for.)
Dealer's response: varies from I'll get you in touch with Mc, it's normal and I need better power filtering, to this isn't a problem.
Dealer's own installer: Hey, your amp is buzzing. Normally when I used to work at Best Buy I'd tell people to spend more money on an amp, I don't know what's going on here.

Because DC has a hum, I figured I'll never buy power filtration without DC blockers again.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
This matter is also getting chatter over on that "other" audiophile forum, where the conversation has turned really nasty.

The problem, imo, is that the amp's owner won't send it back to McIntosh or to a factory authorized tech for evaluation. That means that anyone who thinks they know what is going on here is only speculating.
I never sent mine back because Mc doesn't consider this an issue. They consider DC the issue.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:47 PM

I recommended this on the other forum - send it to Audio Classics (Ryan) for evaluation. To me it does seem like your power is the issue.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomIV View Post
Amps and pre/pros were purchased brand new not even a month ago, MC8207, MC426 and C52 and Marantz AV8805.

I also have a problem with the MC462 has loose parts that should not be loose but that's another topic or matter.

I am beyond frustrated, don't know if it can get any worse for me at this time. All brand new from an authorized Mac dealer.
As I mentioned a month ago, and considering the amount of money spent with this dealer — its the dealers responsibility to make the customer happy..................period.

Are you happy?

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-31-2019, 07:42 PM

Just to clarify few things again so there is no confusion.

There is nothing wrong with the MC8207 as far as power output and all the good stuff, the problem is the buzz, it is very loud to where you can hear it in the other room. My problem is with MC, because they know this problem exist and has been known for more than 10 years and I feel since they are the engineers that they needed to come up with a solution to this problem because there are far cheaper amps than theirs that are as good if not better that have dc blocker circuits installed in the amp itself, why would MC not do this is I have no idea.

But the way my case was handled by MC and my dealer is the worse I have had in my life, I am a businessman myself and have been for the last 20 years and I have not one customer that would say bad things about me because if I was wrong I would make it right until I know my customer is more than satisfied even if it means losing money.

I guess $30K that I spent on MC gear is peanuts to them to not care that much, but it's all good there is always somebody else that would like to take my money and make things right. Next time it's gonna be Japanese, at least their gear works.

About returning the amp, it is over their return policy so I am out of luck there plus when amp was plugged in at their tech department in the store amp was dead quite as I have mentioned few times and to which I have no case against nobody at that point.

I never had problem with my electrical wiring until I was told that I needed to install a self isolated 20 amp outlet to where the electrician I hired messed up, and had to re hire another one to fix the problem with my wiring and now all is good but amp is still buzzing.

As far as the MC462 and the loose parts, that amp was returned and new one was ordered that I have received by now, and what can I say, there is no loose parts but the edges of bottom plate are freaking rough to where if not careful you can cut yourself. So there you go and tell me what do you guys think - am I happy?
Old 01-31-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
I recommended this on the other forum - send it to Audio Classics (Ryan) for evaluation. To me it does seem like your power is the issue.
Thanks for suggesting that but I am not planning to spend another cent on this amp especially on a brand new one. Sending it to AC it would take another few hundred dollars and they would not be able to do anything.
Closed Thread