AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 09-07-2015, 09:47 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado
Default Best TV Ever? Hands On With Panasonic's TX-65CZ950 4K OLED TV

The screen’s already dazzling sense of contrast was lifted to a whole new level by the addition of HDR’s wider luminance range, yet crucially the extra dynamics were delivered without any of the screen’s sense of precision and balance being lost. Could a high-end LCD TV go brighter with HDR? Probably. Definitely, even. But would it be able to deliver that extra brightness without compromising other areas of its performance? Hmm.

The over-riding impression I got after dragging myself away from the 65CZ950 was that I’d just witnessed a level of TV picture quality I simply hadn’t seen before – a true ‘second generation’ of OLED performance. If this impression is borne out later in stricter test conditions too, the only remaining frustration will be the likely fact that if you want the best, you’re going to have to pay for it; current rumours suggest that if you fancy picking up a 65CZ950, you might not get much change out of $10,000.

Forbes Life
Old 09-08-2015, 12:31 AM

LG OLED panel with Panasonic electroincs and video processing.

Sounds like a unbeatable combination
Old 09-08-2015, 04:03 AM

I was excited to see that Panasonic is coming out with a 65" OLED until I read that it's a curved screen. That's a non-starter for me. Why would they come out with an OLED that does away with the off-axis narrow viewing issue of an LCD, only to curve the screen that'll create another off-axis issue with distortion? I'll sit on the sidelines until the manufacturers get their heads out of their a*** and come out with what videophiles really want and not what the marketing nimrods are pushing.

Last edited by Mr. Big; 09-08-2015 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:04 AM
Semi-audiophile

LG is introducing flat OLEDs at 55" and 65" if that helps. The 9500 series, I believe.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 09-08-2015, 09:28 AM

I'm not a fan of the curve screen even though the LG 4k OLED I saw at Best Buy looked amazing!!
Old 09-08-2015, 07:31 PM

The future of television is made in America

The future of television is made in America

Universal Display Corporation Ranks as Fortune’s 24th Fastest Growing Public Company

Universal Display Corporation Ranks as Fortune

Why Universal Display Corporation's Stock Fell 22.8% in August | Fox Business
Old 09-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
The future of television is made in America The future of television is made in America Universal Display Corporation Ranks as Fortune’s 24th Fastest Growing Public Company Universal Display Corporation Ranks as Fortune Why Universal Display Corporation's Stock Fell 22.8% in August | Fox Business
Samsung will eat them up and it appears, is starting to spit them out. Samsung is a very tough customer. They will take your proprietary tech if it gives then an advantage and immediately start figuring out a way to bring someone or something else to the competition. Smart but tough on tech driven companies. Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 09-10-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Samsung will eat them up and it appears, is starting to spit them out. Samsung is a very tough customer. They will take your proprietary tech if it gives then an advantage and immediately start figuring out a way to bring someone or something else to the competition. Smart but tough on tech driven companies. Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

I don't think so

1. How much did LG Display contribute?
In January, Universal Display signed a fresh patent license and royalty agreement with LG Display (NYSE:LPL) that extends through the end of 2022. Under the deal, not only does Universal Display supply OLED materials to LG Display, but LG agreed to pay UDC license fees and running royalties on sales of its OLED-based products.

2. Is Apple broadening OLED adoption?
Last month, Universal Display's flagship OLED technology finally found its way into Apple's (NASDAQ:AAPL) repertoire. Specifically, an iFixit teardown of the recently launched Apple Watch found it contains a flexible AMOLED display (likely procured through a previously rumored manufacturing contract with LG Display). To the contrary of initial worries at the Apple Watch unveiling last September, this confirmed that Apple's previously vague description of the device as having a "flexible Retina display" didn't mean LCD, as is the case with Apple's other iDevices.

That's also not to mention more recent reports of a new 200-person team at notorious Apple frenemy Samsung -- Universal Display's single-largest customer and a longtime proponent of OLED -- that is said to focus exclusively on catering to Apple's display needs. According to Bloomberg, Samsung formed the group on April 1, 2015, the same day Samsung Display split its operations into two distinct business units to hone their respective focuses on LCD and OLED technologies.

3 Questions for Universal Display Corporation Ahead of Earnings -- The Motley Fool
Old 09-10-2015, 05:36 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
I don't think so 1. How much did LG Display contribute? In January, Universal Display signed a fresh patent license and royalty agreement with LG Display (NYSE:LPL) that extends through the end of 2022. Under the deal, not only does Universal Display supply OLED materials to LG Display, but LG agreed to pay UDC license fees and running royalties on sales of its OLED-based products. 2. Is Apple broadening OLED adoption? Last month, Universal Display's flagship OLED technology finally found its way into Apple's (NASDAQ:AAPL) repertoire. Specifically, an iFixit teardown of the recently launched Apple Watch found it contains a flexible AMOLED display (likely procured through a previously rumored manufacturing contract with LG Display). To the contrary of initial worries at the Apple Watch unveiling last September, this confirmed that Apple's previously vague description of the device as having a "flexible Retina display" didn't mean LCD, as is the case with Apple's other iDevices. That's also not to mention more recent reports of a new 200-person team at notorious Apple frenemy Samsung -- Universal Display's single-largest customer and a longtime proponent of OLED -- that is said to focus exclusively on catering to Apple's display needs. According to Bloomberg, Samsung formed the group on April 1, 2015, the same day Samsung Display split its operations into two distinct business units to hone their respective focuses on LCD and OLED technologies. 3 Questions for Universal Display Corporation Ahead of Earnings -- The Motley Fool
That is good to hear but I still hope they hold on to their proprietary art and spread their customer base as wide as possible.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 09-10-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
That is good to hear but I still hope they hold on to their proprietary art and spread their customer base as wide as possible.
Absolutely.