AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:40 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Keep in mind that although you can rip CDs using the Sony, that is not the Sony's forte and in your case with a 600 CD collection, I would recommend that you use a computer and software like DBpoweramp to rip the CDs.

+1 on that. While I never tried using an external USB drive on it to rip CDs, my friend has and gave up quickly as using a PC and just sending the ripped file through your network to the Sony is more reliable and faster overall.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 05-23-2017, 04:21 PM

Yup. The other downside is when you rip to the Sony directly, you won't have a backup of the files on your PC or NAS.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
Yup. The other downside is when you rip to the Sony directly, you won't have a backup of the files on your PC or NAS.
I was planning on ripping to a HD and them connecting it to the Sony for transfer. That seems the fastest and most accurate way.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:46 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
I was planning on ripping to a HD and them connecting it to the Sony for transfer. That seems the fastest and most accurate way.

That won't work.

You will have to connect the HD to a PC on the same network the Sony is connected to. There is Sony software to transfer files but I HIGHLY recommend NOT using it. Just use Windows or your Mac operating system to find the Sony drive on your network then simply copy and paste the album folders to it. Then be patient.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 05-24-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
That won't work.

You will have to connect the HD to a PC on the same network the Sony is connected to. There is Sony software to transfer files but I HIGHLY recommend NOT using it. Just use Windows or your Mac operating system to find the Sony drive on your network then simply copy and paste the album folders to it. Then be patient.
Thanks, I can do that.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:54 AM

New firmware updates yet? Hoping they solve the issue of low volume when USB digital out is used with Mc...
Old 06-11-2017, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
As it happens, just yesterday I signed up for Spotify Premium and gave it a whirl on my Sony HAP-Z1ES. Although sound quality on Premium is better than Standard, it's unfortunately limited to only 320kbps. Even still, it doesn't sound too bad. Hopefully they boost this in the near future. My main reason to use Spotify is so I can "kick the tires" on any music before I purchase the CD.
Thanks for the info guys. I bought a HAP-Z1ES. I'm sure I have some questions once it arrives. I have a tweaked MHDT Labs Havana DAC and will try it with the Sony. I hope the Sony will equal or exceed it though.

Spotify: Unfortunately you cannot polish a turd. If the original recording was bad, and many are, it will only be what it is even massaged by the Sony. However, a lot of jazz is really excellent.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:41 AM
Racing Hoopties

One other nice feature of the Sony is its internet radio functionality. It allows you to set local radio stations as favorites and find hundreds of streams from around the world of all genres. Yes the best are 256 k MP3 but I liked having the local radio stations for news/sports.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
One other nice feature of the Sony is its internet radio functionality. It allows you to set local radio stations as favorites and find hundreds of streams from around the world of all genres. Yes the best are 256 k MP3 but I liked having the local radio stations for news/sports.
Internet radio is very cool. For me, this hobby is about music and internet radio introduces you to some amazing music that will never be played on mainstream stations. I bought the HAP-Z1ES. To have it in one box with a server sealed the deal.

I did not want a computer in my audio rack. I have a tweaked MHDT Labs Havana DAC and an excellent transport. I imagine they will be sold.

Now that I bought the Sony it will likely be discontinued. That always seems to happen once I take the plunge.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 06-12-2017 at 05:22 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:36 AM

The unit arrived yesterday. I'll set it up tomorrow and give it a listen. I'm going to get DBpoweramp rip to a standalone drive and perhaps have a copy in the cloud. Am I missing anything or is there a better way?